Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
How to get Amazon to take paypal.

I found this new site that takes Paypal and sells gift cards to Amazon, B&N, and Borders. It seems you get the gift cards code in an e-mail right away. So you can buy an Amazon gift card code with your Paypal account and then turn around and put your new code into Amazon and buy whatever you need. Looks like a good workaround to me.

The site is: http://instantgiftcards.net
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone used this place or had luck with it? I've never heard of it, not sure if it's legitimate or not.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm obviously missing something here. Why would I want to use PayPal rather than my usual credit card?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm obviously missing something here. Why would I want to use PayPal rather than my usual credit card?
PayPal is a terrible company with terrible business practices. I don't know why I would go out of my way to use a PayPal account if I could much more easily use a credit or debit card.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Is this for buying ebooks? Because I know that amazon doesn't let you use your checking account to buy ebooks or amazon gift cards. If paypal allowed you to do this then I could see this as a cool little service.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They don't terrify me; I simply see no reason to want to use them to buy from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
mattsholtz
mattsholtz has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Has anyone used this place or had luck with it? I've never heard of it, not sure if it's legitimate or not.
I can vouch for the site, it is my site and it is legit.

In regards to HarryT and pietrocrazy some people do not have credit cards, but do have Paypal, and if you need to use your credit or debit card you can. Paypal gives you the option to just buy the product with you debit or credit card just like any other stores checkout system.
mattsholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Amazon can't check your billing address when you aren't using a creditcard. Can you envision a scenario where this might be an advantage?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Is this for buying ebooks? Because I know that amazon doesn't let you use your checking account to buy ebooks or amazon gift cards. If paypal allowed you to do this then I could see this as a cool little service.
I always use my checking account to buy my ebooks, or at least the debit card associated with it. Are there checking accounts around that don't have debit cards? I have never heard of that.

I've never had any problems with Paypal and I've been using them for nearly a decade but wouldn't bother where I can just use a debit or credit card.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
The more interesting question at least for me is, do paypal links in the back of a kindle book work through the Kindle webbrowser?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsholtz View Post
I can vouch for the site, it is my site and it is legit.

In regards to HarryT and pietrocrazy some people do not have credit cards, but do have Paypal, and if you need to use your credit or debit card you can. Paypal gives you the option to just buy the product with you debit or credit card just like any other stores checkout system.
I know some people don't have a credit card, but there's no reason to not have a debit card. If you get an account with a real bank or credit unions, you get all the protections of a real bank and a real debit card. PayPal essentially acts like a bank that is not subject to bank regulations, so you get none of the same legal protections.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrocrazy View Post
I know some people don't have a credit card, but there's no reason to not have a debit card. If you get an account with a real bank or credit unions, you get all the protections of a real bank and a real debit card. PayPal essentially acts like a bank that is not subject to bank regulations, so you get none of the same legal protections.
I use PayPal for transactions with online companies I'm not familiar with, so I don't have to give out my credit card number.

I do not have a debit card. I specifically turned down the option from my bank. I can easily imagine myself repeatedly being overdrawn because I'd forget to keep a tally of purchases.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrocrazy View Post
I know some people don't have a credit card, but there's no reason to not have a debit card.
Probably not, but Amazon wouldn't be able to make sense of my European one.

Quote:
PayPal essentially acts like a bank that is not subject to bank regulations, so you get none of the same legal protections.
Actually, it's got a banking license in the EU. Unlike most American banks it's happy to deal with foreigners, too. If you're an American doing business with other Americans you probably don't need it, I'll grant you that.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Some countries do not have debit cards either (Hong Kong being one) so sometimes PayPal is a godsend to be honest.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Probably not, but Amazon wouldn't be able to make sense of my European one.

Actually, it's got a banking license in the EU. Unlike most American banks it's happy to deal with foreigners, too. If you're an American doing business with other Americans you probably don't need it, I'll grant you that.
Ok, you make a good point, I relent.