Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
I know what I do, be shure ... and my Kindles are all modified. But I also know, where they end up with their questions and cry for help.

And you have already seen how quick some advice is done, being shure yourself, you have done well. No offense against anyone trying to to his best here. But going back to an older firmware is not as easy as you are giving the impression. I had Kindles to "resque" where people promised having done nothing else than following instructions.

Last edited by diba; 03-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
I know what I do, to be sure ... and my Kindles are all modified. But I also know where they end up with their questions and cry for help.

And you have already seen how quickly some advice is done. Being sure yourself, you have done well. No offense against anyone trying to do his best here. But going back to an older firmware is not as easy as you are giving the impression. I had Kindles to "rescue" where people promised having done nothing other than following instructions.
Here is where MOST of them end up:

Check out the "Successful Debricking Reports" section of the first post in that thread.

Two common problems people have when doing this are if the kindle battery does not have enough charge, and if the /var/local partition is full. Success can be had by charging the battery and erasing the /var/local partition as mentioned in other posts. There is nothing wrong with downgrading firmware if it is done as instructed (including charging the battery first, preferably in fastboot mode if the kindle was discharged while bricked).

Another common problem is using the WRONG data.tar.gz, and this thread contains yet another incorrect link and misleading advice, which just compounds the problem.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Hey, I do not talk about you!

I thought about exactly this:
"Another common problem is using the WRONG data.tar.gz, and this thread contains yet another incorrect link and misleading advice, which just compounds the problem. "

Last edited by diba; 03-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Being sure yourself, you have done well. No offense against anyone trying to do his best here. But going back to an older firmware is not as easy as you are giving the impression. I had Kindles to "rescue" where people promised having done nothing other than following instructions.
Quote:
Hey, I do not talk about you!
Huh?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-27-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
diba
Addict

OK, misunderstanding, language problem, even if I think, better thought, my english is good enough. In german we can express in this style talking about anyone who is doing something. No I understand your replys as well ;-)

I follow things here, and I clearly know whoms advice I can follow without looking in a bulk of other posts. You are among these guys!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster
Another common problem is using the WRONG data.tar.gz, and this thread contains yet another incorrect link and misleading advice, which just compounds the problem.
I have edited my post, so no wrong link is posted here.

Last edited by hostar; 03-27-2012 at 05:24 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I have edited my post, so no wrong link is posted here.
Thanks!