Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

7500 Page turns on a full battery

I've had this device since it was first released on the Sony Store, and I've charged it quite a few times hoping to eliminate my batter problems.

The problem is that I'll charge it from a dead state, and it'll have four bars when I am done, but I just read "The Alchemist", and 200 pages of another book, and now I'm at the halfway point.

So in total i've read 500 pages. On a full charge I should only be getting 1200 pages tops, but that isn't anywhere close to what Sony says I should be getting, which is 7500 pages.

I tried searching the forum for something similar, and I'm wondering if this is an isolated issue?
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

I also have a 1 gig SD card.
Kingston 1 gig SD

I also have never updated my firmware

Last edited by Frogsmasha; 03-05-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Advert
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think it's isolated, but neither is it really common. A few folks have commented on not seeing the kind of endurance they expected, but most seem to be getting at least enough that they're not concerned with it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

I think ill try draining it out, and then making sure I use the onboard 64mb memory, then I'll try the soft reset. Maybe this will work

I'm out of ideas
Old 03-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I was getting kind of the same scenario. I'd read 150 pages and it would lose a bar. 150 more and I'd be at 1/2 battery. I read about the discharge problems with the memory cards, so I took the card out and got a little better power out of it. maybe 600 pages to 1/2 charge. So I put the card back in, played music until the battery completely discharged, recharged it again, discharged completely one more time, and I am now 300 pages into a book with no memory card, and it still shows full. I used to have this issue with an Ipod, I heard with these types of battery, you want to go through 2 full cycles of charges to get optimal battery performance. Try that and let us know how it works.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Off the top of my head I saw I probably get 5,000 pages or so out of a charge. For example I've read four books since I last charged it and it still says 3/4th. I do have a 2GB sandisk card in there, but the books are not reading off it, it's just there for music for an upcoming flight.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have put over 1,400 pages on the current full charge and it still shows 4 bars. It seems that there is a wide swing in battery life among users. I feel lucky to be on the high side although I feel I would be among those screaming if I was on the low side.

Also it seems to make an impact as to which add-in card you use. Those with SanDisk SD cards (even the 2 GB card) seem to report longer battery life in terms of page turns than those using any other brand of memory card. Also the Sony Memory Sticks seem to have long battery life. MP3 play also seems to shorten the battery life greatly.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

I've charged this device over 4 times
Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm currently about 2,700 pages in after a charge and have just gone from 3 to 2 bars, so I'd count myself happy with the battery life. I don't use a memory card.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-06-2007 at 03:46 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Could it have something to do with the format of books you are reading. I would imagine reading pdf's will drain the battery significantly more than reading lrf files.

I only read lrf files, and battery life seems to be very good, easily can read around 5 or six books, before it gets to around 2 bars
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #11
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I do have a 2GB sandisk card in there, but the books are not reading off it, it's just there for music for an upcoming flight.
Still it might get powered and draining the battery.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
I think ill try draining it out, and then making sure I use the onboard 64mb memory, then I'll try the soft reset. Maybe this will work

I'm out of ideas
Two things to note:

1. Although Sony advertise the internal memory as 64MB, it's actually a lot more than that. "Connect" shows 91.9MB of internal memory on my Reader, for example.

2. Books stored in internal memory are compressed in an extremely efficient way. Putting a 1MB RTF file into internal memory will typically reduce the amount of available memory by only about 300kb.

The combination of these factors means that, at least with fairly "standard" books, you can store a LOT of books in internal memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
You also might want to consider that each time you shift through the menus, power on the device, etc., these are considered pages turns as well since it has to redraw the screen (even setting book marks are considered page turns).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames
Could it have something to do with the format of books you are reading. I would imagine reading pdf's will drain the battery significantly more than reading lrf files....
Someone put a meter on the Reader and looked at the power drain for many activities and found that it used much more power drawing a PDF screen than it did drawing a LRF screen.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
Still it might get powered and draining the battery.
Ah, but you might check my post again, I'm not one of the ones having battery problems.

Just to add to the discussion, I have been reading Connect books and RTFs.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote