Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Snepscheut
Edge User

Community firmware, questions answers? etc etc

Robot and Jcase are working together to make a community firmware.

In reply to Zen's request I have taken the liberty to start this new thread.

Could we please try to stay on topic!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
jcase
Edge User

We are still missing code that must be released by enTourage or rebuilt by hand.

I would like to see enTourage release the whole code (minus stuff they licensed and can not distribute) to us. We could create a community repository, and build a custom firmware. It would likely save them development costs, as they could then take fixes, and advancements straight from our work.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Snepscheut
Edge User

First: Robot is talking about finding someone who can help with kernel issues.
Robot maybe you (or I) could make contact with Ninpo, Nathan or Pulser from villianrom.co.uk they are doing a great job in creating a custom rom for the Hero.

Last edited by Snepscheut; 08-15-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
jcase
Edge User

I have spoken to Ninpo before (ironicly regarding GPL issues). My irc network also has a few kernel devs.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
robot
Edge User

I tried to rebuild some kernell modules just to test source code and failed 'cos too many files are missing or missplaced or contains some errors (probably it's just an intermediate test version, or I really tired and missing something?)

I'm not close to android community 'cos my mine bussiness is "datamining\analitical\business\financial\trading\ web automatisation software development". So if someone know someone who can help -- ask them.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
brauckmiller
Edge User

While I am not a developer, I do have a lot of experience in wireless testing. I'd be happy to qa or test dev builds.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
MichaelV
Edge User

the issues are few here:
1. Entourage is violating the GPL by not releasing full code. if they want to build a closed ecosystem like Apple they should have taken that route not ripping off GPL software and profiting on that. they have no right to retain code from the source. this matter should be taken further really. Obviously they do not have the financial power to do this and also the developers, so if they use open source software they should respect the terms of licence.
2. they obviously censor the forums and the posts, really we should look to an alternative forum which is not under their control. this will also separate the users that are contempt with their inept in this stage device and those who want progress. also the new forum will not be censored and free speech will be available.
3. the popularity of android is due to the progress made by custom software, also bringing market to this device is a major improvement. I can not see how Edge can get away unsanctioned by users when they hinder the progress of the device. I think they kill their own business here.

Last edited by MichaelV; 08-16-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Chubulor
Edge User

#1 partially agreed. If they have proprietary software not based on the GPL that runs on the Edge, they obviously don't have to release the code for that. As I'm not an Android developer or much of a programmer with regard to anything but number crunching, I'm not qualified to judge how complete the GPL-based code they've released is, so I don't want to be too dramatic either way.

#2 disagree. They were relatively tolerant on that thread. I was expecting deletions and banhammers and such to start coming down as soon as the "plant" discussion started. As it was, the only comment that got deleted from what I could tell was borisb's initial reply to jcase. The first "closure" warning was triggered because it had reached 10 pages (other less contentious threads have also received similar warnings after going 10 pages). The last few comments before it got closed were pretty rough, and in particular, it's not a good idea for a commenter to attempt to order an admin around on forum matters. If it were my forum I wouldn't have shut down the thread, but it's not my forum...

I believe there is an Entourage Edge group on Yahoo or something if you feel strongly about the need to have an independent forum. It's linked to somewhere on one of these threads...

#3 that remains to be seen. I'm trying to be patient. Keep in mind they have a lot more reason to fear Google's wrath than you or I do.

(Edit) uh-oh...looks like borisb has withdrawn from the forum. I hope it's not due to the alternate topic of that thread... I was careful not to name names (except the one who appeared to have confessed), but it looks like his feelings were hurt anyway.

Last edited by Chubulor; 08-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.