Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #436
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Not to say that such features shouldn't be considered or included, but I agree that the UI needs to be considered carefully and whether it makes sense to include all options or as suggested by others, have an advanced mode that gives you more flexibility if you truly desire it, without confusing the majority of folks who will use your app (default to the noob friendly UI).
Yes, noob mode definitely should be the default. And I know of no noob who would push that Advanced Settings button -- they're typically scared to death of such things. So, what danger of confusing the noob is there, really, if advanced settings are strictly separated from basic ones? I'd say, no danger.

Off the top of my head, I can remember two software products where I thought the Basic/Advanced settings/controls separation was particularly well executed. One is from my own country, Eset NOD anti-virus (although I no longer use it), and the other is ABBYY FineReader. They both start in noob mode by default, and you can't possibly get lost in advanced settings unless you explicitly activate them.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #437
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Thanks Orion. So far the only feature request that needs some careful UI planning, is the "Sets of settings". I've got some good ideas.

Without sounding cheesy, I'm very grateful to the Mobileread community in return. I learnt to love ebooks here (since my first Sony 505) and some of the best feedback and ideas are coming from MR.
Haha, looks like you and I had the same experience then. I was addicted to this place when I got my 505. Now I've gifted it to my wife and I use my iPad for all my reading.

Btw, do you mind if I PM you sometime? I had some questions and needed some advice about software development on IOS (don't worry, I'm not going to be begging for your source code )
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #438
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Orion, feel free to PM or email.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #439
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yes, noob mode definitely should be the default. And I know of no noob who would push that Advanced Settings button -- they're typically scared to death of such things. So, what danger of confusing the noob is there, really, if advanced settings are strictly separated from basic ones? I'd say, no danger.
Way back when I was a noob (we all were once upon a time), I would check advanced features. I still do actually.

Off the top of my head, I can remember two software products where I thought the Basic/Advanced settings/controls separation was particularly well executed. One is from my own country, Eset NOD anti-virus (although I no longer use it), and the other is ABBYY FineReader. They both start in noob mode by default, and you can't possibly get lost in advanced settings unless you explicitly activate them. [/QUOTE]

My router has basic and advanced and the basic is too basic and the advanced may be too advanced for some where they need more then basic but not all of advanced.

So in the case of Marvin, the division of basic/advanced needs to be though out carefully to have basic not be too basic.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #440
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Way back when I was a noob (we all were once upon a time), I would check advanced features. I still do actually.
But that was the budding advanced user in you, you see. Typical novice users don't really do that.

Quote:
My router has basic and advanced and the basic is too basic and the advanced may be too advanced for some where they need more then basic but not all of advanced.
Oh, yes! It's possible to mess up the division of basic and advanced features. Which is especially bad if a basic feature is put among advanced features, so that novice users are forced to access advanced settings despite their will.

Quote:
So in the case of Marvin, the division of basic/advanced needs to be thought out carefully to have basic not be too basic.
Absolutely.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #441
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Kris

re your question about Blue Fire features not yet in Marvin

I can think of two that are significant to me

1. The ability to put books in the library into collections
2. The ability to swipe up and down to change brightness. I find on a tablet I change the brightness down over time to make reading easier. Like you i started with the e-ink 505! It is a burden to go into the settings to do this

I do not think any reader yet supports it but i would like to see one with an option to choose which side of screen to touch to advance pages

regards

adrian
Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #442
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adrian,

Marvin already supports vertical swiping to change brightness as well as customising the page turn direction for any given side of the page.

Library folders will be coming soon.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #443
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1944 View Post
Kris

re your question about Bluefire features not yet in Marvin

I can think of two that are significant to me

1. The ability to put books in the library into collections
2. The ability to swipe up and down to change brightness. I find on a tablet I change the brightness down over time to make reading easier. Like you i started with the e-ink 505! It is a burden to go into the settings to do this

I do not think any reader yet supports it but i would like to see one with an option to choose which side of screen to touch to advance pages
While you currently cannot use collections, you can set the gestures to change the brightness and warmth with a 1 or 2 finger up/down swipe.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #444
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Erm, exaggerating much? You forgot to insert the words "for me" into your sentence
I was just thinking. Do this, do that.

Honestly, thanks kguil for your great job. I installed Marvin yesterday when I read about it on MR. Or, should I boss around and say I want it all PINK. With ribbons (why not?). And golden rim and if you add Hello Kitty to it (ok, glasses can stay) I'll be in heaven. I may even skip the "it would be nice if you" or "could you please consider"
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #445
kguil
Addict

OK. I'll let the cat out of the bag. Marvin is coming in pink (but no hello kitty). Really.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #446
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
HELLO KITTY OR ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!! [TANTRUM]

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #447
kguil
Addict

Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theme Pack.png
Views:	260
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	98702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink.png
Views:	261
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	98703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue.png
Views:	262
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	98704  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #448
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So what's Marvin going to look like without a screen full of dead authors?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #449
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Kris,

Not all feedback in this thread is equal. Do what's right for your vision of what a superior reading product should be, whether or not it responds to the whims of every critic.

People who say your product is unusable may not be the best givers of advice.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #450
kguil
Addict

Hi holymadness. To be fair, virtually all of the feedback I got so far was great. Obviously, I'm prioritising everything.
Closed Thread