Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
Footnotes

I only have access to a Linux machine, a Mac and an iPad. To make footnotes work properly on "most" readers, skip to footnote and then skip back, should you always do anchor and link both ways?
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
I only have access to a Linux machine, a Mac and an iPad. To make footnotes work properly on "most" readers, skip to footnote and then skip back, should you always do anchor and link both ways?
Yes!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It can be a bit 'belt & braces, when the reader HAS a Back button (does anything except ADE not?). But it does no harm. You could also consider moving footnotes inline, particularly when they are explanatory rather than just bibliographic references. We torture ourselves too much in attempts to copy printed layout rather than designing efficient ebooks.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
You could also consider moving footnotes inline,
Could you explain a little more, please?

Maybe some CSS if appropriate.

Quote:
We torture ourselves too much in attempts to copy printed layout rather than designing efficient ebooks.
Agreed.

Everything I do with Sigil and Calibre (both GREAT programs) is pretty much just for myself and family to make (very) poorly converted PD books into something readable on the Kindles.

The 'back and forth' linking for footnotes is tedious, and sometimes I'm not careful enough

If by 'inline' you mean click it and it expands (displays) in location and then click it and it 'shrinks' that's be a lot easier that manually doing all the footnotes manually

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
dicknskip
Zealot

In many cases I will make the footnote text a 75% font size and enclose it in a box that is set at 80% width, giving an indent on both sides. I then place that box immediately following the paragraph that contains the reference.

I use Sigil for very similar purposes to yours and my family finds that to work well for them.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You guy's are killing me.

Inline references in ebooks (other than short parentheticals like this one) drive me absolutely batsh!t crazy.

It seems to me that shoe-horning notes and references inline is more of an attempt to "copy printed layout" (think footnotes) than links and endnotes would be. If it's too important for the reader to miss out on, then it shouldn't be a reference or note at all. It should already be a part of the main text. If it's anything other than a short parenthetical... link it and get it the hell out of the flow, I say (and include a return link for devices/apps that lack a "back" feature). At least until we get pop(up|over) balloon notes.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
...drive me absolutely batsh!t crazy.
Oh, come on .. tell us what you really think

The 'return link' is what I see in a lot of retail epubs, and I know that Sigil can make the necessary pairs.

I would be instructive if some one made a simple epub demonstrating the various approaches for us newbies

http://demosthenes.info/blog/69/Clas...-CSS-Footnotes

has what sounds interesting, but I'm having a hard time working through it

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
dicknskip
Zealot

I'm not a professional epub creator. Just a guy who has created a few books for my own use. Some family histories and cook books and such. When copying a family history that someone else wrote I don't feel it's my job to re-write paragraphs to include footnotes that others have created. I just look for a way to make reading easier for my family. The approach of boxing a foot note directly after the reference paragraph works for them.

I know that the pros have definite opinions about this and as an old publisher I can respect that. But as an amatuer now, I just want a simple solution that works for my very limited audience. Modern technology that allows me to do this is amazing. Sigil is an awesome tool for both us amateurs and you pros.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not a pro by any means. I'm just a reader/hacker who truly believes that hyperlinks are the best solution for things like this (right now). By all means... if you're making an ebook for personal use, do what you like. But if you're making an ebook you want me to read (or pay money for)... don't go wedging a bunch of ancillary material into the normal reading flow.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not a pro by any means. I'm just a reader/hacker who truly believes that hyperlinks are the best solution for things like this (right now). By all means... if you're making an ebook for personal use, do what you like. But if you're making an ebook you want me to read (or pay money for)... don't go wedging a bunch of ancillary material into the normal reading flow.
I loves me dem linked footnotes! Ah LOVES 'em!

Seriously, though--as an avid and voracious reader of all types of material, I truly love the linked footnote. As a bookmaker, I don't love making them--but as a reader/researcher, I'm very fond of them indeed in academic/non-fiction material.

So, I'm with Diap.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
dicknskip
Zealot

I hear you and I will give your approach a try in the new year. It just seemed to me that the double link effort was pretty heavy for three or four possible readers.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
lrui
Enthusiast
lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
This is my approach, it works in my NST.
Code:
<p>(honeycomb-structure)<sup><a class="Hyperlink" href="#id04a" id="id04">[4]</a></sup></p>

<hr />
  <p class="FootnoteText"><a class="Hyperlink" href="#id04" id="id04a">[4]</a> Vivienne Shue,The Reach of the state:sketches of the&nbsp;Chinese body politic,Stanford University Press,1998.</p>
CSS
Spoiler:

.FootnoteText {

border-bottom: 0;
border-top: 0;
display: block;
font-family: "微软雅黑", "ht", sans-serif;
font-size: 0.85em;
layout-grid-mode: char;
line-height: 130%;
margin-bottom: 0.5em;
margin-left: 1%;
margin-right: 1%;
margin-top: 0.5em;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-indent: 2em;
}
.Hyperlink {
color: red;
cursor: pointer;
text-decoration: underline;
font-family: "宋体", "zw", sans-serif;
}

here is the sample.untitled sample.epub

if you use iBooks, you can try this way , it supports pop-up footnotes and only supports by EPUB 3.0 readers.
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...pub-3-and.html

Last edited by lrui; 12-14-2012 at 01:05 AM.
lrui is offline   Reply With Quote