Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur
saturngirl1701 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
Unhappy Pocketbook IQ Firmware Upgrade Issues and More . . .

Help!

I just got my Pocketbook IQ yesterday and I must say that I'm not impressed so far, which is a real shame because I wanted to like this. I have an Android phone and so I am pretty familiar with how to sync, etc., but this thing is turning into a major pain in the butt. Some of my issues are:

1) I have tried, without success, to upgrade/update the firmware through the Pocketbook site and keep getting an error message, saying that the requested download can't be delivered to my phone. What gives? I know I'm connected; I can get to the Internet.

2) I can't download any apps. At all. I've tried both AppBrain and SlideMe.

3) I can't sync my gmail calendar. Keeps telling me there's a problem with that account. I finally got the email to work, though I'm not sure how; I went into gmail through Google and then, somehow, I was able to set up the account. But the calendar won't sync/isn't recognized.

4) I will get rid of the AFM app so I don't have to see those annoying little Chinese popups anymore, and I finally figured out how to get rid of the gazillion books in languages other than what I can read, but my screen is very unresponsive. On the Pocketbook widget screen (so ugly), tapping the arrow to see the list of books doesn't work; in fact, the scrolling function is also fairly herky-jerky.

I feel like I'm grousing, and I guess I am because I expected a bit more from this device. The primary reason I got it was as a reader; I have a Sony PRS 505, but I've been very pleased with my phone's ability to download various reading apps and I wanted the same in this tablet. I've only had the bloody thing for less than 12 hours and I am SO ready to send it back. I feel as if this thing just isn't ready for prime-time. I'm no computer wizard, but I'm not an idiot and I don't mind a little tweaking here and there, but nothing should be this much work.

saturngirl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The bulk of your issues *WILL* go away with the update but you need to get the update onto the sd card on a pc most likely. The d/l file is a 7-zip file that when extacted yields a zip file that will update the IQ for you. Don't extract the second zip, just copy it to the root of the card and then insert it into the IQ.
Apps can be installed the same way; copy the apk to a folder on the sd card and use the new file manager to install.
It took me a while to get used to the weirdness of android but the IQ hardware is solid. The DEC 10 update helps a lot and, hopefully, the upcoming 2.2 update will cover the remaining issues.
Hope this helps.

LLL!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Let's see if I can help you out with this...

First, do you have an SD card inserted in your IQ? Since you have to flash your firmware by Holding Power + Volume Up until you see the Android Update bar, you need to save your firmware on your SD card first.

Two, can you use the default browser? If so, download the updated SlideMe (4.0) and install it manually. That should solve your problem since the default SlideMe is at 3.5 on the IQ and won't work somehow. AppBrain won't work since we do not have the google apps by default. See this thread: Market hack.

Three, I have no idea since I do not use it.

Four, Since it is a resistive screen (and not capacitive), you need to press hard to have a response at times. Also, the Pocketbook widget tend to slow down the IQ. I would recommend that you go get these apps: Android Reading Apps. That should help a bit.

Never forget that android was meant for smartphones, not tablets. Also, you need to be patient when you deal with those tablets. It took me a while to figure out how to make market work and get everything up and running properly. Give yourself time... It is worth it.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Both you guys are awesome for answering so quickly. Thank you.

Okay, so I did what you'all suggested and got the zipped file onto my SD card and the thing DID install. So far so good. I notice that the calendar is gone and so in the AFM (replaced with OIFM)--so, yeah! And the machine asked me to register with Bookland, so even better!! Oh, and SlideMe automatically loaded again as version 4.0.

So, double YAY!

I haven't tried to add any apps yet--I'm still reeling from this one success--but I wanted to thank both of you. And, yes, I'll ~try~ to be patient with the screen.

Now to try and find the reading apps I'd like to add . . .

Any apps you guys particularly like in terms of browsers? I use Dolphin on my phone and have also used Opera Mini.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Finding folders on SD card . . .

Okay, so now I have a different question. I've downloaded the folder of the Android Reading Apps onto my SD card (which spazzed because I didn't unmount it correctly before doing that). Anyway, it's back in now, only I have no idea how to find the folder! It doesn't show up when I open up the SD card in Settings. Ideas?

Sorry to be such a pill . . .
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Okay, so I think I just answered my own question. I used the OIFM to find the files on the card. I suspect that I just move the various apps to my device then?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturngirl1701 View Post
Okay, so I think I just answered my own question. I used the OIFM to find the files on the card. I suspect that I just move the various apps to my device then?
Nope, you don't need to move the applications to your device. I can't recall how OIFM works but you either tap it to install or long tap and pick the choices (one of which will be to install the app).

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just tap the app inside the file manager and it will ask if you want to install it.
For browsing, the consensus seems to be (and my experience backs it, for whatever it might be worth) that Dolphin HD 4.0 set to desktop as an agent presents the best browsing experience.

As for reading apps, there are a lot of very good options:
- Kindle for android: the best Kindle app this side of a K3, so far
- Aldiko: nicely configurable, you can set the paging speed to zero, you can either force or disable ePub embedded CSS compliance
- Coolreader 3: very configurable, supports arbitrary Truetype fonts and backgrounds. It's calling card is dual column landscape
- FBReader, comparable to Aldiko but it lets you use arbitrary Truetype fonts
- Overdrive Media Console - lets you *directly* access library ebooks and audio books. It also properly registers itself as an ePub reader so that tapping an ePub file in the file manager offers it up as an option. It's quite a competent ePub reader.
- Audible for Android - The audiobook equivalent of Kindle for Android. Free sample prove how good the service (and the IQ) is for audio ebooks
- Kobo - Lets you access the Kobo/Borders online ebookstore
- eReader - Let's you access Fictionwise and/or open eReader files with or without DRM. Not a bad reader, beyond that but there are better.
- PB Reader - so far pretty generic, nothing special, no DRM support yet. But if you prefer paging through PDFs instead of scrolling its pretty much the only game in town.

As you can see now, the dec firmware update helps a lot and makes the IQ a useful device. Me, I'm looking forward to the next firmware update to see if they bring the PBReader app to parity with its eink reader kin.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Thanks, guys. I got the reader apps loaded. Haven't tried to find/load anything else yet, but I'd like to get the Dolphin HD browser. Do you'all have any suggestions for video streaming? And have you tried loading and using Adobe PDF? One thing I did notice was that when I got the Android Kindle onto the pad, it didn't recognize that I already had an account. All the books I got for my phone didn't show up on the tablet, but they did on the PC, which is a little strange.
Oh, and I never thought of the Audible app--and I listen to books all the time! DOH!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Oh, and you were right: the firmware update makes all the difference.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
paww
Connoisseur
paww began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Quote:
T One thing I did notice was that when I got the Android Kindle onto the pad, it didn't recognize that I already had an account. All the books I got for my phone didn't show up on the tablet, but they did on the PC, which is a little strange.
You have to go in to 'archived books' to migrate them over to your IQ.
paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do you'all have any suggestions for video streaming?
There is a VideoLan remote app intended for streaming.
There is also a winamp version (might be still in beta).

For PDFs, if you prefer Paging instead of scrolling the PBReader app is probably best lthough it doesn't remember your place when you quit. If you prefer scrolling, Adobe Reader is probably best.

A good source to browse for Android Apps is:
http://www.freewarelovers.com/android

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Thanks. I stumbled on that freeware lovers site and got Adobe and Youtube. Went to the Audible site on my skiffy Dolphin Browser but was unable to download the app. I can't find it on SlideMe. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. You guys have been very helpful--and I'm writing this on my IQ
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paww View Post
You have to go in to 'archived books' to migrate them over to your IQ.
Ah. Okay,I'll try that.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Thanks. I stumbled on that freeware lovers site and got Adobe and Youtube. Went to the Audible site on my skiffy Dolphin Browser but was unable to download the app. I can't find it on SlideMe. Any suggestions?
Adobe is easy. As mentioned above, you can get it here:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...allation-pack/

Youtube, you can get it from Coredump-EE (post 111 in link below):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=113048&page=8

I am not sure if YouTube will install for you without rooting you IQ. You may want to join the fun by rooting and installing android market (see above link).

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote