Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Frozen reader. Has it ever happened to you?

Hello everyone,

Last night my reader froze to death. I tried everything, but even the reset button didn't do anything. I think , it happened when I tried to enlarge the fonts, then... frozen! I let it sit, hoping it will come back to life, but, nope! I connected it to my laptop, trying to reinstall the firmware but the program asked me to connect a reader (i.e., hardware wasn't recognized). I kept pushing all buttons, until, at one point, keeping the power switch pressed it finally turned off. When I turned it on, everything was back to normal.

Anyone experienced one of these things? If you did, what did you do? I find it weird that even the reset button didn't do anything and I wished I could have disconnected the battery.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Laurentiu
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
It has frozen on me once (I don't remember what I was doing). I used the reset button, and the screen stayed exactly as it was. I suspected it was turned off, and just didn't bother to erase the screen. Turning it back on with the power button brought it back to life.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
It has frozen on me once (I don't remember what I was doing). I used the reset button, and the screen stayed exactly as it was. I suspected it was turned off, and just didn't bother to erase the screen. Turning it back on with the power button brought it back to life.
Oh.... that makes sense!
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I have had it happen to me a few times.

Press the reset button with your stylus and then immediately afterwards press the power switch and it should come back into action. At least that is what has worked for me.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
It happened to me once, I went to turn the page and nothing. I tried everything: pressing the reset button, trying to turn it off, hitting the other buttons. Nothing. My electricity was out so I couldn't plug it into my computer to see if that would do anything, but after about 20 minutes the screen flashed and then started up as if I had completely powered it down. Happened about a week ago, hasn't happened since. I've had my reader since 10/31
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
This just happened to me last night. All I was doing was turning the page of a book and it just froze. I tried to turn it off, then I pushed the reset button and held it for five seconds. Nothing happened. So I left it alone and went to bed, thinking it would eventually turn itself off (like it's supposed to when you don't turn the page for a while). No dice. So I slid the power button to off for about ten seconds, and what do you know? The light flashed, the reader flashed and then started up. Sure, I lost my progress in the book I was reading, but since I'd been staring at the thing frantically trying to figure out what to do, I knew exactly what page I was on at the time.

I'm hoping this isn't something that's going to happen regularly, like the every-few-weeks rebooting my 505 likes to do for no apparent reason.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Every few weeks rebooting? That sure never happened to my 505...
And the freezing has only happened to me once, and I have it for three months now. Let's hope it stays like that
Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
susytp
susytp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
It has happened to me twice, it was just a low battery problem , I fixed it by charging for about 4 hours.
susytp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Used to have this problem in the early days of my PRS-505, Laurentiu. I discovered that the hitch was simply down to the fact that charging via a USB to a PC or laptop just doesn't hack it -- no matter how optimstic the battery level icon on your device might be. Never had the slightest problem since I got myself a wall charger on advice here at MR ... and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that I now actually do get those advertised 7,000 page turns per charge. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mine froze on me once. I think I got impatient and kept hitting the page turn (or I held it down for too long). My other half got it fixed for me and I have learned to be a little more patient.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
NoGood
NoGood began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600 \ T1
Mine (prs600) froze just now, just when i wanted to go to bed and read.

Pressing reset and/or on off button for 5 minutes didnt do a thing. Waited a while during which i read this thread. Tried the power button once more and voila I am up and running again. (second freeze in a month, previous time was fixed by pressing the reset button once)
NoGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
TDILK
TDILK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I bought a PRS-600 and after first charging it asked me to re calibrate! Can anyone advise how I do this.
TDILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
omk3
Wizard

Standard procedure, TDILK. Use the stylus to click in the centre of the crosses as they appear. It's the touchscreen calibration.
Welcome to you and NoGood, by the way!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
gabe2006
gabe2006 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I have had it happen to me a few times.

Press the reset button with your stylus and then immediately afterwards press the power switch and it should come back into action. At least that is what has worked for me.
Same thing just happened to me. I'm glad to see I was not alone.
The Reader came back to life after pressing the reset and then immediately the power button as Poshm recommended.
gabe2006 is offline   Reply With Quote