Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVgDnd8PXPs

Jealous. I wish my Nook STR had a light-up screen.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I wonder if it'll be any different than reading off a tablet.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Sure it will be different than reading a tablet--it has regular e-ink and can be backlit, still with a white background and black ink, when required. It does sound like the perfect solution.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
It's not backlit. It's front lit.

The light is above the screen, not under it.

In theory it should be no different to your eyes than a nook with a book light.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Wow! Did we know about the Glowlight? This is very cool! I love it!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm intrigued.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I would love one, but too expensive right now (or rtaher when available in May), but when price comes down, or refurbs are offered I might buy one.
I will certainly check it out when visiting Indianapolis in June (the other places I go to don't have BN stores - must plan my trips better...)!

Last edited by Asawi; 04-13-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
It looks just like the light on the Sony Prs-700. I'm curious to see what it looks like in person.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would love a lighted screen; I always read with an attached light. But I'll skip this iteration.

I bought the previous Nook Touch, and passed it along to my daughter. If they provided some meaningful updates to the reading software (formatting), higher resolution, and better page turning buttons, I would have been all over this.

As it is, I'll wait and see what the competition comes up with.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I would love one, but too expensive right now
Yeah, I agree. I cannot see anyone spending 40% more just to get the new lighting feature. I am glad that they are continuing to innovate and improve however, and no doubt the price will come down ($29.99! )
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
That does look interesting. Hopefully this will become standard across eInk readers, and you can use it if you need it.

(However, in what way is the Nook the "world's #1 reader", especially as it's not available much outside the US? No need to answer, just my ageing grumbling about marketing-speak...)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
So it sounds like the only change is a slight cosmetic one, the built in illumination (which should be pretty nifty) and they somehow managed to make it just a hair lighter (about half an ounce, or about 8% lighter). It doesn't look like there are any changes to the processor, memory, storage, battery, dimensions or screen. I guess a perk is that the cover I have should fit it. I am pretty dissapointed that it looks like they made absolutely no other changes to it...and on top of that are asking for what is in effect a $40/40% premium for just front lighting. If they had at least made some other minor changes, like increasing storage space even, I think it might be worth it. However, if nothing else, a nice LED book light is about $25...which I don't think means that the built in lighting is really worth commading a $40 premium.

All that said, I'll give it 6 months or a year and probably get a refurb then or something similar once the price dips to $100 or less. It would be a nice feature, and I can't complain about any weight reduction (not that I think my nook ST is heavy, but it can always be lighter)...but I already have a nice LED book light, even if it isn't as convenient as having it built in.

That and I can't help wondering if there is going to be a fully on "revamp" in the next 4-8 months anyway as this seems really like a quick interim release to try to muscle more of Amazon's Kindle market, and not what the next nook is really going to be (though I kind of hope they keep the same form factor/size in the next nook as I really like the nook ST's dimensions and form factor).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Screw you naysayers ;-)

I'm in for one. Now. Now just to figure out who gets my old one... (this will be the 7th Nook purchase for my immediate family I think...).

Nook Simple Touch is already my most favorite device ever - and this little addition will be even more perfect. I go through batteries like no tomorrow on the clip-on light... not to mention the fact that it sometimes gets turned on automatically and drains batteries faster.

This is a great addition...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Looks very tempting! Hard to justify purchase since I already have a Nook Color. Unless I can attribute it to "research purposes"?
: )
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Must not be a very good clip on light. Mine hasn't finished a set of batteries yet and is probably up to at least 20hrs of use on the two lithium button batteries in it. Built in light would be extremely nice, but I can't justify spending $140 on a new ereader simply to get one with a built in light. If mine died tomorrow and crazily wasn't under warranty suddenly, I'd deffinitely get one. That or if I can talk my wife in to inheriting my current one and actually using an ereader (she uses her ipad, and that took about 9 months of pulling teeth to get her to do that. Only willing to because of a large number of free books she can read by swithing to ebooks).

Still and all, its nice, but seems to be a pretty limited upgrade when I can't help feeling like this is an interim release before a real new 2nd generation nook simple touch.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote