Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
LevAizik
LevAizik is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Sony PRS-300 - Hebrew Support

Hi, I just bought sony PRS-300 on ebay, but I have second thoughts. I don't know if it can show Hebrew text. It is very important for me because I live in Israel and I am going to use PRS for my studies. I am going to upload a few files in Hebrew. Can anyone, please, upload them on their sony device and tell me if it display them correctly?

I am going to use two formats: DOC and PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Test Files.rar (103.8 KB, 348 views)
LevAizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Of course the PDF works because it is a scan, but it is too small to read.
You'll need hebrew fonts to do reflow, but I'm not sure if its supported
or how far the 300 has been hacked.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Text PDFs do seem to work well. You will only be able to read PDF though. You will have to convert DOCs or any other format into PDFs, and you need to use special page size.

Here are some screenshots from PRS-600 (the gray background is actually white on the reader):

porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
porkupan, You cannot magnify on the 300, he ordered the 300 model.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
LevAizik
LevAizik is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Thank you!!!
LevAizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Here are some screenshots from PRS-600 (the gray background is actually white on the reader):
How did you get those screen shots?

Are they scanned?

Very useful for explaining how things look on a device. Easier than taking a photo using a camera.

Thanks.

Last edited by kenmark; 10-31-2009 at 09:37 AM.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
mumoo
mumoo began at the beginning.

Device: prs600
I guess Porkupan has upgraded a Ruassian HACK firmware. Screenshot function is added in the system.
mumoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As a matter of interest, why the Arabic numbers in the first two pictures above? Hebrew has its own number symbols, doesn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a matter of interest, why the Arabic numbers in the first two pictures above? Hebrew has its own number symbols, doesn't it?
Wikipedia says:
Quote:
In Israel today, the decimal system of Hindu-Arabic numerals (ex. 0, 1, 2, 3, etc...) is used in almost all cases (money, age, date on the civil calendar). The Hebrew numerals are used only in special cases, like when using the Hebrew calendar, or numbering a list (similar to a, b, c, d, etc...).
I guess it's the same story as with Japanese and Chinese: Arabic numerals are just much more convenient and easy to use.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
While I haven't tested Hebrew, I have tired making some books display Japanese text with reflow (using ePub). I found that the only problem was that the sony reader (prs-600 in my case) doesn't have built-in fonts for Japanese text. I got around this problem my embedding the font into the file myself. You could try that method if you have the ability to alter your files (and they are ePub).

I've seen stuff about people hacking their reader to use alternative fonts, and you might explore that method to substitute Hebrew fonts, but I'd be cautious about hacking it.

PDFs can work because (1) the pdf has embedded fonts or (2) they are scans. For your DOC files, you'll have to convert them to RTF for the reader to display them (that's what the sony software does when you import DOC files). Of course, DOC files support embedded fonts, but I don't know if RTF does. That said, I only used RTF once on my reader, and it seemed to use the same font as in the original Word DOC (Calibri). Because I doubt that the sony reader has Calibri font on it, I can only assume that the RTF somehow had Calibri embedded into it. However, I haven't tested that assumption at all.

Those are just some observations I've had about non-western fonts on the sony reader.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
What may be true for Japanese is not necessarily true for Hebrew. The only format that currently supports Right-To-Left and mixed character direction in the Sony Reader is PDF. Well, unless you are making an "image-sequence" LRF or EPUB. Embedding or replacing native fonts in the firmware is not sufficient to make Hebrew work in the non-PDF text-based formats in the Reader. We tried.

As hard as it may be to believe, the East Asian languages are in this one sense closer to English than the alphabet-based Hebrew and Arabic.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #12
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
What may be true for Japanese is not necessarily true for Hebrew. The only format that currently supports Right-To-Left and mixed character direction in the Sony Reader is PDF. Well, unless you are making an "image-sequence" LRF or EPUB. Embedding or replacing native fonts in the firmware is not sufficient to make Hebrew work in the non-PDF text-based formats in the Reader. We tried.

As hard as it may be to believe, the East Asian languages are in this one sense closer to English than the alphabet-based Hebrew and Arabic.

This is really strange. When I'm using Hebrew ePub with embedded fonts, the text is displayed in the wrong direction. It seems like the only problem is supporting the RTL tag or style. While Calibre, AZARDI, FBReader, Bookworm, Stanza support it properly, how hard should it be to fix this issue?
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote