Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #181
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The problem was that my HP Windows 7 machine did not have a bios option to boot from USB. Neither did my other HP running XP.
Unbelievable! I assume manufacturer tries to lock the user in. I always
build my nodes from parts and check forums for features like this. There
might be bios update with boot option you need?
Some time ago something called openbios or alike was almost ready.

Quote:
My husband's Dell could do it, but I would have had to get my bum over to a store and buy a card reader, and so on and so on.... Finally I thought to check out a little ASUS netbook hiding in a closet and I was good to go.
Card readers are cheap and very usable. It is good to manage cards this
way, not embedded readers in small devices, with unstable power. My
bet is to have power cord instead of battery for important tasks. Cards
are prone to failure if voltage goes up/down. I was puzzled what my
plug server had against me, till I found more complaints on sd card adap-
ter on it. All of problems with that device were in that area: faulty sd
card adapter.

Regarding how frequently people buy books, I see another route. Usb
stick image, that loads os and network and connects to kobo server. It
avoids all win/lin/mac/bsd stuff. One devel team, one troubleshoot
platform. Or otherwise, cd live image, with usb stick as a depot. Too late
now, but life is not that short not to change from time to time.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #182
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
There
might be bios update with boot option you need?
Some time ago something called openbios or alike was almost ready.Card readers are cheap and very usable.
Nope, no bios updates do this on either machine. I spent a long, long time with HP about this. I did burn a Ubuntu CD, which worked, and then didn't. I forget the error message, but it never worked again. Did the same thing, with the same result. Oh well, I found a work around and now I can make a Kobo SD card with the best of 'em (thanks to Tim Legge's most excellent directions)

I don't go to stores in December to buy anything but groceries. Nope.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #183
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Actually, we're pretty much all testing multiple platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, Android...
Yup. This is true. We didn't actually have to work very hard--but we'd get a build, test, then Kobo engineers would do their thing and we'd have another firmware build and another desktop to try. I know the folks at Kobo have been patient, hardworking, and a pleasure to deal with as we all did our best to help them out.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #184
wintermute000
wintermute000 began at the beginning.

When I bought my first gen kobo it was the cheapest ereader on the market in Aus (that I could get retail). Its slow, had a few teething bugs re: PC connectivity (all fixed w/ calibre and new kobo app), and battery is nowhere as advertised, but it was cheap and I read 3 books on an overnight flight to london the first fortnight I had it.

Then amazon smashes the kindle price and suddently the kobo is no longer a good deal, esp as the Australian kobo (Borders) store has a poor selection.

At the time it was the best option for me. Now I tell people to buy a sony if they don't want to be tied to Amazon, or a kindle if they want the best device (I know you can strip DRM etc. but this is assuming a layman who doesn't want to bother with any teching about). My next purchase will be high end (sony or kindle), I don't want to deal with lag, slow bootup and relatively poor battery life, but at the same time I know I got a good deal at the time - and at the end of the day, its doing what it says on the tin.

If they could get rid of the slow bootup (lack of sleep?) + page turn lag then I would have no hesitation recommending it but as it is most people would rather pay 50-100 more for something that performs much better (the cost over the lifetime of the device would end up as negligible).
wintermute000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #185
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I hope the process of updating the ereader with new firmware is easier and more foolproof this time around.

Amen to that sabredog!!

My Kobo has been behaving perfectly since I upgraded (apart from pad separating) ... excellent battery life too.

I'll be having attacks of hysteria once the next upgrade is released trying to decide if I risk it or not.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert