Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
How's jBook going to compete with Kobo Reader?

Kobo Reader, from Borders, comes with a beautiful 6", e-ink screen. Feature for feature, Kobo is superior to my jBook in nearly every way, except it only reads 3 file formats: ePUB, PDF, and Adobe DRM.

And the price is really a catch at $149, for such a great looking ebook reader!

I'm not sure about others, but I'm really looking forward to its launch by Borders in my country.

JBook's strength is its price, at least for me. Do you think jBook will still hold its own against such a strong competitor?

More info on Kobo here:
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ew_koboereader
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
You're kidding me, right? 3 formats? How does that make it a strong competitor to the jbook?

My philosophy: Don't limit yourself if you can help it. Ebooks nowadays come in all shapes, sizes, and formats. Out of those, PDF and adobe drm are just about the worst formats imaginable. So, you're really down to just the epub format. The thing is most ebooks out there are not in epub format. So, you're going to have to convery almost every time you want to read something.

This is like having a linux operating system but you're only going to use windows based softwares so you will use wine all the time. The catch is this particular linux OS will cost twice as much as windows OS. And even then, it's a pain every time you use windows based software through wine.

Solution? Just get windows and be done with it.

So, please help me understand. How is this a strong competitor to the jbook?
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I think the point greenapple was making is that one of the main points of attraction for the jetBook is their low price. With the Kobo launching at $149* the JB now has a genuine competitor in the bang-for-buck department.

Additionally, the Kobo will use an e-Ink display, which many feel gives a better contrast and is easier to read than JB's reflective LCD. Also, it has a 6" screen, as opposed to 5". It will have a longer battery life, a result of the screen. It has built-in memory of 1 GB, which means it can store up to a thousand books; so most buyers will never even need to bother with an SD card. It has Bluetooth. The functionality is limited, but still. And to my eyes (and, I would think, most people's) the Kobo looks a lot better, and according to some early reports is of a pretty good build quality, too. I like that 'quilted' back...

I think your point about the hassle of converting files into ePub is very weak. One could easily turn it around and point out that the JB doesn't support any DRM, so you have to go to the hassle of stripping it every time you buy a book. That's neither here nor there.

All in all, there are more than enough reasons why the Kobo looks like a solid contender. Enough so that I was leaning heavily towards the JB until yesterday, but am now considering the Kobo.

* Keep in mind, though, that this is only the launch price, and is only for a limited time. No word yet on the standard MSRP.

Last edited by afa; 05-10-2010 at 04:38 AM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I think the point greenapple was making is that one of the main points of attraction for the jetBook is their low price.
For me (a near-geek) the removeable batteries are big a plus either!
Quote:
It has built-in memory of 1 GB, which means it can store up to a thousand books; so most buyers will never even need to bother with an SD card.
The JBL has 112MB memory. I do not use the SD card at all, since I download the books (3-10) onto the device, plus 1-5 pictures about my family and I still have some RAM
Quote:
It has Bluetooth.
That is the big change! That is the only thing I'd say would be a good thing in JB(L).
Quote:
The functionality is limited, but still.
A firmware can be upgraded anytime if the resources are present...
Quote:
Keep in mind, though, that this is only the launch price, and is only for a limited time. No word yet on the standard MSRP.
JBL is somewhere below $100 now. As standard, at least after introduction to market...

Of couse it is up to you, but time will tell if Kobo will hit JB(L).
BTW: JB has mp3 playing possibility too...
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneTseng View Post
For me (a near-geek) the removeable batteries are big a plus either!
True.

Quote:
The JBL has 112MB memory. I do not use the SD card at all, since I download the books (3-10) onto the device, plus 1-5 pictures about my family and I still have some RAM
Well, sure. Plenty of people might only use a few MBs. But if we're talking about competitive differences, 1 GB is a significant advantage over 112 MB.

Quote:
JBL is somewhere below $100 now. As standard, at least after introduction to market...
Really? Where? The cheapest I've seen is on Newegg.com, and that's for $120.
Quote:
Of couse it is up to you, but time will tell if Kobo will hit JB(L).
BTW: JB has mp3 playing possibility too...
That's always the question, isn't it? But I think the features of the Kobo are pretty enticing. And let's not forget the e-Ink, which is probably easier to read than the LCD of the JB. Although, the fact that it doesn't flash after every refresh is certainly a good thing.

The only things lacking in Kobo are the lack of dictionary (though I don't know if the JBL does that for anything other than text files) and the lack of Mobi support. MP3 is a complete non-issue. Considering the terrible job most e-readers do with audio, I don't think that's something that I would ever use. Besides, the jetBook already has a lower battery life than most e-Ink readers; I can only imagine that playing music on it while reading a book will just make it worse.
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
I looked at the Kobo before it was released and decided to go with a JB. What you think is important may not be important to me and what you think is a negative may be a positive for me.

Many feel that the JBL's removable battery and DRM support are important. These are simply not big deals to me. This was why I opted for a more streamlined JB.

When searching for an ereader, I ruled out all ereaders that did not come with an sd card. I loathe transferring files via usb cable. I can never find my usb cable when I need it and it is painfully slow. So a reader with a sd card is a plus for me regardless of the internal storage space.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
All of the dedicated ereaders are in competition. They also compete with a number
of other devices from which ebooks can be read. The good thing about that is that
there is more likely a reader that fits each persons requirements, if you can find it.

For me, for now, the JBL fits my needs (and my pockets) better than what is
described for this soon to be available Kobo device. The tradeoffs are for each
individual to decide upon. I like the additional serif font but want a reader that will
fit in my pocket. I find Bluetooth and wifi transceivers a real power drain and not
that helpful for a reader. I find that the rechargeable AA batteries last about the
same 20+ hours of reading time, (I have no idea how many very quick and smooth
page turns that might be) as the internal battery. But I like that with the AAs I
can just swap out the batteries when the charge runs out and keep reading, no
waiting while the reader needs to recharge for an hour or so. I like the open spacing
of the epub format, but many prefer the tighter spacing of some of the other formats
that the JBL supports. I already have a lot of ebooks, from my PDA e-reading days,
in the PDB format, so that format is one I require in an eReader.

So, for me, the proposed Kobo Reader is no competition at all for my JBL.

I'm sure that there will someday be a new reader that will meet my needs better
than the JBL that I have now, but the Kobo Reader isn't it. If it does meet your's
have at it.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well to me E-Ink screen is not an advantage or selling point unless your already sold on E-ink.

Granted its price point looks good, but other than price and slightly bigger screen to me it doesn't even come close. But that is just my opinion.

Would you really trade being able to read all those file formats vs just a couple for a slightly bigger screen?

As to the SD card, to me that is again in Jetbook's favor.
Granted Jetbook does not have a huge internal memory, but it does have SD and SDHC card support. That lets me put a very hefty amount of storage into my Jetbook. Also makes transferring files a breeze with a 3$ USB to SD adapter.

Putting my books on the SD card means I can move them easily from one Jetbook to another. Plus it leaves the internal memory free for the Dictionary and books it comes preloaded with.

So to me the Jetbook is considerably more versatile for a better price.
But yes, I'm a fan, I love mine, both of them actually. Although I have mostly been using the JBL lately.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Quote:
Well, sure. Plenty of people might only use a few MBs. But if we're talking about competitive differences, 1 GB is a significant advantage over 112 MB.
The point is competitive. For me it makes no difference if I have 20MB or 900MB free RAM in my JBL.
On the other hand, transferring the books between two readers is a good usage for the SD card, but at the moment we have just one eReader in the family.
Quote:
Really? Where? The cheapest I've seen is on Newegg.com, and that's for $120.
Check this thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=81360&page=2
Quote:
MP3 is a complete non-issue. Considering the terrible job most e-readers do with audio, I don't think that's something that I would ever use. Besides, the jetBook already has a lower battery life than most e-Ink readers; I can only imagine that playing music on it while reading a book will just make it worse.
But you can listen to audiobooks (Terry Prattchet, etc.)
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
afa
The Forgotten

Ken,
Pretty much any ereader that can read a few different formats and won't break the bank fits my needs, which is why JBL is on my shortlist right now. I was merely pointing out the fact that the Kobo is a competitor (specially at that price), in response to LE's apparent disbelief that anyone could possibly compete with the hallowed device.

GhostHawk/hiaig,
I don't know why you consider the SD card thing such a big deal. Personally, I would worry about losing my SD cards, and would be comfortable having the memory inside the device. Besides, that's a moot point, anyway, because the Kobo does have SD card expandability. And that, really, is the best solution. To have a decent-sized internal memory and SD card, giving the consumer more flexibility. So that's not really an argument in favour of the JB or JBL.

*EDIT*
Crane,
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm too late. The "Shell Shocker" page on Newegg now has a Canon printer and scanner bundle. That's a shame...

Last edited by afa; 05-10-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
afa, I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm pointing out that we all use our ereaders and other electronic devices differently.

No doubt the kobo will do well. At least here in Ontario, Canada, it will sell because it's attached to the largest bookstore chain Chapters/Indigo

For me, the kobo was not available at the time and it didn't quite meet my needs. Primarily, I do not like e-ink in general because of the flashes on page turns. I trade flashes for battery life any time.

Cheers

ps. apart from the slow usb transfer, I like sd card because it's easier to move among devices. I do read on ebooks on my pda at night (backlight).

Cheers

Last edited by hiaig; 05-10-2010 at 11:29 AM.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You can expect such offers to appear from time to time at a number of outlets.

afa; you might want to checkout the Kobo Reader forum in the "More E-Book Readers"
section. You can use the "Forum Jump" drop down list at the bottom of this page.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
afa
The Forgotten

I'll do that, Ken.

By the way, I hope you guys don't think I'm trying to argue with you. I'm really just trying to work out which device to spend my money on, and so want to look at and debate the various pros and cons. I tend to be a little indecisive when it comes to buying things. I always look at everything 10 times to satisfy myself that my money isn't going to waste.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

First of all, I'd like to say that you made some very valid points.

Quote:
I think the point greenapple was making is that one of the main points of attraction for the jetBook is their low price. With the Kobo launching at $149* the JB now has a genuine competitor in the bang-for-buck department.
The standard price for JBL is now under $100. When I say standard, I don't mean you can just find that price at any time. But I do mean if you just look perhaps once every couple days you are bound to find it at that price somewhere nowadays. Prices fluctuate for everything nowadays. A smart buyer is a buyer that wait a few days to find the best price for it.

Quote:
Additionally, the Kobo will use an e-Ink display, which many feel gives a better contrast and is easier to read than JB's reflective LCD. Also, it has a 6" screen, as opposed to 5". It will have a longer battery life, a result of the screen.
While true that many feel e-ink display is better, I just don't see it as that big of a deal. I borrowed my neighbor's kindle and read a long long time with it. Better contrast, yes. Worth for me to deal with only 1 real format to work with? Nope.

Quote:
It has built-in memory of 1 GB, which means it can store up to a thousand books; so most buyers will never even need to bother with an SD card. It has Bluetooth. The functionality is limited, but still. And to my eyes (and, I would think, most people's) the Kobo looks a lot better, and according to some early reports is of a pretty good build quality, too. I like that 'quilted' back...
I'll take the good quality. I'll also take the bluetooth. They look nice.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with the $4 4gig high capacity SD card and the $4 usb adapter. Again, bluetooth is nice, but in the end it's just something that you will say "that's nice to have... but what's it for again?"

Quote:
I think your point about the hassle of converting files into ePub is very weak. One could easily turn it around and point out that the JB doesn't support any DRM, so you have to go to the hassle of stripping it every time you buy a book. That's neither here nor there.
First of all, JBL does support DRM. Works just fine. And any dedicated ebook reader will eventually learn how to strip out the drm and really own their ebooks. Heck, I think I'll work on a windows based app to do this when I have the time.

I've been playing around with different formats to see which shows better. Each person has his own preference. Currently, I'm quite fond of the txt format for its simplicity.

Quote:
Also, it has a 6" screen, as opposed to 5".
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who think bigger is better and those who like the mobility of their devices.

Case in point. When my brother bought his laptop, he bought a top of the line 17 inch dell that weighed like a small work-out weight. I, on the other hand, was going for the smaller versions. If they didn't have the 15 incher on sale, I would have bought the 14 incher. Mine is also light weight and very sturdy.

I guess my point is size doesn't really matter that much for a lot of people. The JBL fits in my pocket.

Quote:
The only things lacking in Kobo are the lack of dictionary (though I don't know if the JBL does that for anything other than text files) and the lack of Mobi support.
You got both of these wrong. The dictionary on the JBL will work in every format except pdf. Also, it also supports drm mobi, which is what's important.

Now, I'd like to point out the two biggest advantages of the JBL over most other readers, including the fabled kobo.

SD expandable is a must on my books. It doesn't limit you to any fixed memory size that the company decided to make. For me, I alread had a whole bunch of 1gig SD cards lying around. I recently got a $4 4gig high capacity SD from office depot.

AA batteries as oppose to a built in battery is also a must. I was going to buy an ebook reader long before I stumbled onto the JBL. But the thing that held me back was the battery. You see, a couple years ago, my ipod's battery went bad. Cost me $90 to replace it. I will always keep this in my heart. As soon as I saw the AA battery thing on the JBL, I knew I was going to get it. It was only a matter of waiting a few days reading all the reviews and looking for the best price at the time.

As for your supposed strong points, like bluetooth and mp3. These are non-issues. These are extras added onto the device that has nothing to do with the spirit of reading. It's like putting those kids' flashy twinkling star stickers on it. Sure, makes it looks nice. But in the end, do we even care?

Added by edit.

But folks, I'm just having a discussion here. If you really really like the kobo, please help yourselves to it.

Last edited by jblitereader; 05-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
jblitereader
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
afa, I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm pointing out that we all use our ereaders and other electronic devices differently.

No doubt the kobo will do well. At least here in Ontario, Canada, it will sell because it's attached to the largest bookstore chain Chapters/Indigo
No doubt the kobo will do better than JBL simply because it's attached to the borders book chain.

I'll be frank. People seem to care more about the brand name than their needs. Look at the ipad, for example. If you really look at what it offers, it sucks! Yet, they have sold 1 million units in a month. I'm not kidding you, it sucks. I can give you a whole list of reasons why it's not as magical as they make it out to be. But people don't care. It looks cool and it's attached to apples.

Anyway, the kobo seems too limited for me. Speaking as a techie, I wouldn't get something like it.