Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Mobi to Epub repeats metadata

I am using version 0.7.35

If I convert an RTF file in Calibre to Mobi I can add the Metadata. If I then delete the RTF and later Convert the MOBI to Epub, I want the final file to show the new stylish panel and layout for the metadata, which it does admirably, but it retains the original Mobi version, thus it appears twice.

However, in the other direction this does not happen. If I convert a file from RTF to Epub and then to Mobi, only the Mobi style appears if "Insert metadata...." is ticked. Indeed, if I start with Epub, I can control whether the output has any metadata at all with that selection. But not so with MOBI, is this deliberate or am I missing something (again).

Last edited by oldbwl; 12-30-2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: To add version
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
However, in the other direction this does not happen. If I convert a file from RTF to Epub and then to Mobi, only the Mobi style appears if "Insert metadata...." is ticked. Indeed, if I start with Epub, I can control whether the output has any metadata at all with that selection. But not so with MOBI, is this deliberate or am I missing something (again).
This is simple enough. When calibre places a book jacket in a epub file it is labeled as such and is separate from the main content. If you use epub as the input and calibre finds a book jacket it inserted after version ?? (0.6.3?) then calibre will replace it. But in Mobi the book jacket is inserted into the content and due to the Mobi format can not be differentiated from that content during future conversions.

Once in epub format you can edit out the duplicate by opening it up in Sigil and deleting what you don't want.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thought So. Thanks for that.

Actually there is a facility that would be nice to have in calibre under the conversion routine, i.e. multplie outputs from file conversion. I see it working just like the format deletion selection box "select which formats you wish to delete", instead "select which formats you wish to create". That way I can start with one base file and output for all the readers in one go rather than several loops of the same function.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote