Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
V5 Firmware 29-04-2010 with display settings adjustment

A new Lbook based firmware from Buggins has just appeared. In the bookshelf setup there is a new category for adjusting the eInk display. This is definitely experimental firmware, so if anyone wants to try it, caveat emptor.

http://files.mail.ru/6UDLRS

If you want to give any feedback, it is being discussed here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
Great news, thanks a lot!

Regards.
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
Great news, thanks a lot!

Regards.
I just read on the Russian the-ebook.org forum that there is a bug in the version of CoolReader included in this firmware build that is preventing images from displaying. That would affect FB2 and the other formats handled by CoolReader. Buggins has already answered that the bug is corrected now, so I *guess* that we will see the fix in the next release. I am sorry that I did not do a more thorough test before posting the link here. I was impressed how much the contrast was improved on my reader though.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I am sorry that I did not do a more thorough test before posting the link here. I was impressed how much the contrast was improved on my reader though.
Just like a child with a new toy eh Dave.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Just like a child with a new toy eh Dave.
That is probably an appropriate comment.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I tried this firmware out because I wanted to see and what I have is text only right now.

It isn't quite what I expected.. I thought it would be a slider.. what it actually is is 3 settings: Adaptive Priority, Speed Display and Effect Priority.

Effect priority is the setting where you have full greyscales in the bookshelf, etc.

Adaptive priority and speed priority both reduce it on the bookshelf (and another way you can tell it's reduced, is the coolreader logo doesn't show everything like the sunburst, etc.) though I cannot really see a difference between the two.

Dave_S: Did the contrast actually improve in a BOOK though? I haven't really noticed much if any change for actual text.. granted the light wasn't the best here and I've now run out of battery. I'm curious to know what you noticed and where.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Here's the link to the new fixed LBook update, v5setup-20100501-bigfiles:

http://files.mail.ru/VHGH5G

Images now show up in books with no problem.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Anyone do a really thorough spyware scan?
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
What for? The device has no ethernet, no wifi, nothing. Even if someone was to hypothetically "own" it, what could they do with something that exists in isolation? Slow down your page turns?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Dave_S: Did the contrast actually improve in a BOOK though? I haven't really noticed much if any change for actual text.. granted the light wasn't the best here and I've now run out of battery. I'm curious to know what you noticed and where.
I noticed it the most as a lightening of the background, but I think that my PocketPRO has always had a lower contrast ration than most others here because the contrast ratio on my V3 is much better than the contrast ratio on my V5. With this experimental firmware, my V5 got a bit closer to the contrast ratio that my V3 has.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Anyone do a really thorough spyware scan?
My antivirus software scans every download as a matter of course, but what possible effect could spyware or a virus have on standalone ARM processor firmware for a device with no Internet connectivity?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #12
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
A new Lbook based firmware from Buggins has just appeared. In the bookshelf setup there is a new category for adjusting the eInk display. This is definitely experimental firmware, so if anyone wants to try it, caveat emptor.

http://files.mail.ru/6UDLRS

If you want to give any feedback, it is being discussed here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/
Where are you finding this in their forum? I found the LBook section, but the Firmwares LBook v5 page had its last post on April 29th. What am I missing?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Where are you finding this in their forum? I found the LBook section, but the Firmwares LBook v5 page had its last post on April 29th. What am I missing?
Most of the discussion concerning CoolReader is occuring in the LBook V3: CoolReader forum, which is currently 184 pages long. The developer of CoolReader, Buggins, offers test firmware there for forum members to review and critique. Since the primary subject is CoolReader, he sometimes provides test firmware for the V3, V3+, and V5 all in the same post. The CoolReader firmware is usually bundled into a full firmware package that contains yet to be be released Lbook or Chinese firmware, since the development target is obviously a future firmware release. If you register for the forum, you can also offer feedback concerning your own observations. The primary language of the forum is Russian, but English posts can also be made if necessary since there are contributors from all over the world there. I noticed the English acceptance when someone tried to make a post in the Russian language generated from a Google translation, and that person was asked to just post in English instead of posting a machine translation.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #14
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
My antivirus software scans every download as a matter of course, but what possible effect could spyware or a virus have on standalone ARM processor firmware for a device with no Internet connectivity?
What does the Internet connectivity or lack thereof matter?

Anyone who uses Calibre connects their PC to the unit via a USB cable. If somehow the files unpacked from the .BIN contained a virus or other kind of spyware/malware, and you connected your reader to your PC via a USB cable, then at least in Windows you are subject to all kinds of potential infections.

The fact that the unit is Linux based doesn't even necessary stop the risk. The important thing is that when you hook up to the unit it reads it from Windows as just another file system, and can autorun stuff. It's exactly the same thing as people getting "autorun"-based malware from USB memory sticks. Something which happens all the time these days.

It's unlikely, true, but certainly far from impossible.

That said, thinking more about it I simply took the precaution of temporarily disabling the autorun on my Win box, installed the firmware, then did scanning virus/spyware scanning of the unit. Its clean. But it wasn't the stupid question its being posed as.

Last edited by Spiffy; 05-01-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #15
Spiffy
Groupie

So far I like the firmware, by the way. I suppose some people might be puzzled about how to get those File tools (open/copy/delete) but it seemed intuitive to me that simply holding down the number button for the file would do something, and indeed it did. A little less intuitive for me is how to properly USE the copy though. When you choose it, its not totally clear to me WHERE its copying the darn file. I must be missing something.