Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Editing the Kobo's I'm Reading list with Calibre

The next version of Calibre (version 0.7.19), due to be releasedd in the next day or so, will support editing the "I'm Reading" list on the Kobo. There are three different options for managing what Calibre refers to as Collections.

I have been using the code regularly during development and it seems to work fine. However, you will no doubt find issues that I will need to fix in the next release ;-).

Get used to the ability to manage the list using Manual Management and then start tagging books and using Automatic management as you get used to it.

Backing up your Kobo and Calibre library is probably a good idea. A better idea might be to let the brave and foolhardy go first. ;-)

1) Manual Management:

This is Calibre's default unless you have previously modified the "Preferences-Sending books to device" option for Metadata Management.

In manual mode you connect the Kobo, Calibre determines which books are on the device and displays "Im_Reading" (for books on the I'm Reading list) in the Collections field of the device view.

To edit the device collections simply double click on the book you wish to edit (in the Collections field). The only supported collection is Im_Reading. If you enter other data in the field it will disappear the next time you connect the device.

Note that you can double click and edit other fields currently but the changes will not get transfered to the kobo.

Manual mode must be used if you wish to include kobo format books on your I'm Reading list. Manual management may not be be supported long term if Calibre gets the ability to export kobo format books to the library.

2) Only on Send:

Not fully supported. In theory it works however because the book you are sending to the Kobo will not exist in the database until after you disconnect the kobo from your computer, Calibre cannot update the I'm Reading list for the new book.

Do not choose this option.

3) Automatic Management:

To use this option you need to click the "Preferences" icon and select the "Sending books to device" option for Metadata Management.

Like "Only on Send" this option uses the Tag named "Im_Reading" to manage the collections. If you want to put a book in the Kobo's I'm Reading list, it must be tagged (in the library) with a tag named "Im_Reading".

This option will remove all the books currently on the Kobo's "I'm Reading" list. Then it will add any books on the device, that have been tagged in the Library with the Im_Reading tag, to the list. That is, it replaces the Kobo's I'm Reading list with a list of books generated from books tagged with Im_Reading.

This is the recommended setting. However because the book must be tagged in Calibre's library it does not support kobo format books.

This is important Automatic management will not be able to add kobo format books to the I'm Reading list and will remove all kobo format books from that list.

Bugs should be posted at http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com. I will keep an eye on the Calibre and Kobo forums but you would be amazed what I can miss...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Tim--thank you for all your hard work. What a man!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Shows just how good Calibre and the development team are!

Nice work.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Great job! Thanks.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Awesome news. Thanks.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Bugs:

The only confirmed bug so far occurs if you have a SD Card. If you do not you should be fine. If you do have an SD card you may want to wait a bit.

Tim
Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Thanks for this info.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "Kobo format book." Can you explain, please?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
timlegge
Addict

Kobo format books are those that are loaded onto the kobo via the desktop application. Basically not an ePub loaded via calibre or adobe digital editions

Tim
Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Thanks!

I love this feature! It's bugged me that books I've finished were still showing up, including books I'd tried and abandoned. Problem solved!

Last edited by J. Strnad; 09-19-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: To heap praise upon the developer
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Bugs:

The only confirmed bug so far occurs if you have a SD Card. If you do not you should be fine. If you do have an SD card you may want to wait a bit.

Tim
This issue is now resolved in the source code and will be in 0.7.20 next week.

Tim
Old 09-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I'm glad to be able to move things from the I'm reading list through Calibre

Not sure if it is a bug or not but I noticed 0.7.19 also switched all my books in the libraryto "unread" automatically when I last uploaded some things to my Kobo.

I know its not major. Personally I would like to be able to change the staues of books from unread to read through Calibre. (Again I know it is something minor and certainly not as importahnt as being able to get things out of the "I'm reading" list)
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
I'm glad to be able to move things from the I'm reading list through Calibre

Not sure if it is a bug or not but I noticed 0.7.19 also switched all my books in the libraryto "unread" automatically when I last uploaded some things to my Kobo.

I know its not major. Personally I would like to be able to change the staues of books from unread to read through Calibre. (Again I know it is something minor and certainly not as importahnt as being able to get things out of the "I'm reading" list)
I will take a look at it. The good news is that ifw something is wrong it should be fairly easy to fix...

For any kobo devs reading this, it would be helpful to have the details of what fields get set/reset when a book is finished. It is possible that I missed something.

Tim
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
I will take a look at it. The good news is that ifw something is wrong it should be fairly easy to fix...

For any kobo devs reading this, it would be helpful to have the details of what fields get set/reset when a book is finished. It is possible that I missed something.

Tim
Found the issue. It looks like "Finished" is ReadStatus = 2. I will correct the issue and I will look at implementing an additional Tag (possibly Read or Kobo_Read) to allow you to specify which books are read.

Tim
Old 09-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Found the issue. It looks like "Finished" is ReadStatus = 2. I will correct the issue and I will look at implementing an additional Tag (possibly Read or Kobo_Read) to allow you to specify which books are read.

Tim
The work was easier than expected. I need to run through some tests but if all goes well you may be able to set a books status to Finished in the next release.

Tim
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
This issue is now resolved in the source code and will be in 0.7.20 next week.

Tim
I presume that is when it shows the books on the SD card as "unread" even though you are still reading them? I notice that even with this it finds the correct place in your book when you re-open it. No great drama and it got rid of all those books my friends had opened while they were "playing" with my Kobo!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote