Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Calibre reader - invisible hyphens with fully justified text

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere, my search skills may be lacking.

I'm using Calibre Reader on my computer, and it seems to make many of the hyphens invisible if I select to hyphenate justified text. That is, there is a blank space where the hyphen should be. I've tried a number of different fonts, including Times New Roman, which surely should work if any font will.

As a guess, probably 90% of the hyphens disappear.

Is this a known issue? Is it unique to my aging HP computer? Can I do a workaround?

Any input gratefully anticipated.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's an interesting bug. Can you attach a file demonstrating the problem (if it isn't copyrighted)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
I'm using Calibre Reader on my computer, and it seems to make many of the hyphens invisible if I select to hyphenate justified text. That is, there is a blank space where the hyphen should be. I've tried a number of different fonts, including Times New Roman, which surely should work if any font will.
I just tried it and all of the hyphens are there (annoyingly so). It seems to me that after changing preference settings sometimes you have to close then reopen the book to see the full scope of the settings take place.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dwanthny, closing and re-opening the book makes no difference for me, still missing most hyphens.

As an example, I am using 3 Men In A Boat by J.K.Jerome, downloaded from this forum. I'm currently using a local library computer, and I am seeing the same symptoms, so it's not caused by my own pc. However, might it be related to using XP SP3?

How do I attach a screenshot? How do I attach a file (the epub)?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
As an example, I am using 3 Men In A Boat by J.K.Jerome, downloaded from this forum. I'm currently using a local library computer, and I am seeing the same symptoms, so it's not caused by my own pc. However, might it be related to using XP SP3?
I downloaded this version of 3 Men In A Boat by J.K.Jerome from mobilread.

@Kovid What I see is every two syllable word that is split does not have a hyphen. Any word that is split with more than two syllables does have a hyphen.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah, this is caused by a longstanding (3 year old) bug in Qt. See https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27593

Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do to fix it at the calibre level.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Thank you both for checking that for me.

Walt, I would never have noticed there was a pattern to the invisibles!

Kovid, thank you --- I'm sorry it can't be fixed yet, but it is still a SUPER piece of software.