Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
RonH
RonH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
authorization frustration

I've been trying to download and read an epub book from the public library on my Kobo I (software version 1.8.1). It's been a very frustrating experience. First I downloaded the Adobe Digital editions software, with kobo connected, and as I recall, it had me authorize both the Adobe software and the kobo. Then, a few days later when the library notified me that one of my holds was available, I downloaded it and dragged it to the kobo. When I ejected the Kobo and tried to read the book, I found that the title was locked. I was instructed to authorize the device. Nowhere can I find any instructions for doing this – there's no menu item. I can read the book on my computer screen in Adobe Digital editions, so it is apparently a good download and presumably the file that exists on my Kobo is also error-free.

I have avoided DRM books until now. I think I should continue to do so. Everything I've loaded so far has been DRM-free, and using Calibre has been a pleasant experience.

Any words of advice? Step by tiny step, please. Don't tell me that I have to reset the Kobo.

-- Ron
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you able to read the book on the PC?

Have you double checked the date and time on the Kobo to ensure it is set correctly?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
RonH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are you able to read the book on the PC?

Have you double checked the date and time on the Kobo to ensure it is set correctly?
Yes, and yes.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Any words of advice? Step by tiny step, please. Don't tell me that I have to reset the Kobo.

-- Ron

Sounds like your computer is authorized with ADE OK, but you'll probably have to de-authorize and then re-authorize the reader.

With ADE open and the reader connected press Ctrl + Shift + E. ADE will ask if you are sure, and you select Yes.

Then unplug and then replug the reader into the PC and ADE will popup a box saying a new device is detected to be authorized.

Should be OK then.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
When you say you dragged it to the Kobo - did you do this doing ADE? When you open ADE with the Kobo plugged in, you should see on the left-hand side a list of "shelves" like Borrowed, Purchased and one called KoboReader. If your Kobo is authorised, it should appear there. Did you drag the book onto the KoboReader shelf?

Things to try - first, delete the book from the Kobo. Then unplug and let Kobo update it's contents again - this should clear the book completely (I've had problems where I delete and re-load at the same time). Then try reloading using the above.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
1.8.1 had an issue with locked ADE books, if I recall. Plug your kobo in with the desktop software running and force it to update to the latest by hitting ctrl + alt + u.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
RonH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
1.8.1 had an issue with locked ADE books, if I recall. Plug your kobo in with the desktop software running and force it to update to the latest by hitting ctrl + alt + u.
Bingo!

That was the answer. I did the upgrade, and am now running 1.8.3. The previously locked file is now readable. I did not have to reauthorize the Kobo, or do a paperclip reset.

A million thanks, 3d0g. I had read the note about the 1.8.2 upgrade, and all the following comments, but I didn't need it at the time and promptly forgot about it.

– Ron
Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Glad it was something simple RonH.

Cheers!
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, authorization, drm, kobo