Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
community mobi-support for future firmware-releases

Now as we know that mobi-support will be discontinued when the firmware with Adobe DE/epub-support will be released (see this picture) - what should we do with our books in mobi-format?
Is it possible to integrate mobi in FBReader or to extract the mobi-functions and procedures from the current firmware for building an own application for use with future firmwares?
I'm no developer - so I ask what is possible...

Last edited by ThR; 07-13-2009 at 04:45 AM. Reason: link included...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The easiest way would be to strip the DRM from your mobi books.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
what should we do with our books in mobi-format? [...] I'm no developer - so I ask what is possible...
Strip the DRM and then convert to ePUB with Calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader will today read DRM-free MOBI. It has several issues with MOBI though, for example: a) no cover image, b) much of the layout is ignored, c) high compression is not supported. I think FBReader's MOBI is "good enough", but not everyone agrees. It could certainly be improved, and it would not take much effort to do so.

The other approach is off-line conversion to ePub using Calibre, once again only for DRM-free MOBI. This has fewer limitations than FBReader's MOBI, although it means you will end up using Adobe's ePub viewer which has limitations of its own. An advantage of pre-processing though Calibre is that you can customize the layout to some extent.

Finally, Savory is an implementation of Calire's ePub and PDF to MOBI conversion capability on the Kindle 2. Which demonstrates that is should be possible to add Calibre's MOBI to ePub conversion directly on the DR1000S.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Are you sure non-DRMed .mobis will no longer be supported? How will I use the dictionary function then?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
How will I use the dictionary function then?
What some other vendors are doing is offering both DRMed MOBI and DRMed ePub/PDF, but in separate versions of the firmware - so you get to choose which one you want. So far as I know, iRex has not said how they are going to handle this, but dictionary support won't be available at all if this is what iRex does on the DR1000S and you load the Adobe ADE (ePub/PDF) firmware. Since the DR1000S already has good DRM-free PDF support, sticking with the DRMed MOBI firmware might be the best option.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Other than a possible improvement in PDF function and possibly greater access to textbooks (which for my purposes is nearly last on the priority list), Adobe DE is useless for my needs. Current PDF functioning is good enough in my opinion.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
It has not been confirmed that Mobi will not be supported in future firmware releases. Irex said that the 1.7 update is a minor update (changing who's DRM you are supporting would be a little more than minor) and Irex hasn't said anything as to how they will support Adobe DE in the future although they have worked out some deal which hasn't been clearly articulated. That photo is from the back of someone's box that recently purchased a DR1000 but their reader still only supported Mobi DRM so its not clear that foreshadows. If anything they would probably just make it a user option as to whether they wanted to use Mobi or DE since both can't be on the device at one time.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It wouldn't be too surprising, if this were true. Mobipocket supposedly has exclusivity clauses in their contracts that say if you are supporting Mobi DRM on a device that you are not allowed to support any other form of DRM. iRex may not have a choice if they want to start supporting Adobe DRM and Mobipocket is unwilling to budge on that clause in the license. iRex may only be able to pick one or the other.

I asked iRex this specific question a while ago in their forum about how they were going to support both, and the response was "no comment".

IMO, it's a little early yet, since there hasn't been anything official from iRex, but it certainly sounds like the speculation is correct. Whether they remove Mobi completely, only remove Mobi DRM, or offer two versions is yet to be seen. There could be another option that we don't know about yet.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Irex said that the 1.7 update is a minor update (changing who's DRM you are supporting would be a little more than minor)
I don't believe anything will change with the supported formats in 1.7. Supposedly it's only a bugfix update with "tabs" being the only new feature. I agree, adding Adobe DRM would probably be announced as a major update.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #11
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
My problem - the sticker says nothing about mobi-support. If there would be Adobe-DRM-support AND Mobi-nonDRM-support, I think, mobi would be in the list.

Imho - the sticker shows the (near?) future, not the current status. So maybe the epub-firmware will not be far away, as otherwise Irex states features for the DR, that doesn't exist. And that is a party for lawyers...

And - I have no time to convert all my mobi-books (all without drm) into epub. If fbreader supports mobi - well, this would be ok for me. ;-)
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #12
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
FBReader clearly needs more support from programmers. They have been concentrating on the iphone for months, unfortunately for us.

I am trying to convert a big (17 MB) DRM-free mobi file to epub in Calibre...24 hours and it still is not ready (on a Core2Duo). So clearly FBReader is the way to go. Especially since I want to be able to use much larger files, those huge Wikipedia files:
http://pinguinburg.de/wpmp
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
My problem - the sticker says nothing about mobi-support. If there would be Adobe-DRM-support AND Mobi-nonDRM-support, I think, mobi would be in the list.
I'd like to see something a little more "official" from iRex than a sticker. The sticker certainly gives the impression that things are going to be changing with regards to the supported formats (and it makes sense that they would), but I'd like to see an announcement from them before I jump to far to a conclusion.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I'll be sticking with the firmware that supports Mobi if "upgrading" means losing that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I'll be sticking with the firmware that supports Mobi if "upgrading" means losing that.
If they don't give you a choice of Mobi vs Adobe, then you'd also be losing any future updates/fixes. It would be nice if (hypothetically) 1.8 is the Adobe udpate, that it's optional. Then when 1.9 comes out there is a 1.9-mobi and a 1.9-adobe, so that customer's have the choice of which format they prefer.

I have no idea if they're going to do that though, just wishful thinking on my part.