Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #511
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Hi,

I'm generally having a good experience with Duokan and PDFs on my DXG, but a couple of questions:
- has anyone experienced the rendering of PDFs more "washed out" than on the Kindle firmware? I know they can be darkened to improve readability, but in most of my files the fonts look quite low resolution, and when darkening them, the darkening effect is not very sharp. This doesn't happen to PDF files that are scanned old documents. Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? (I otherwise love the handling of zoom and margins in Duokan)
- most of my PDF files appear in the home page twice - ie. File1 & ._File1 - is there anyway to get rid of duplicates?

Thanks a lot!
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #512
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
The umlauts problem is still not solved.
Duokan is still useless for EPUBs.

Does anyone know if the problem is at least known to the Chinese? I posted it a few times at their forum but I don't think anyone is aware of it or even working on it.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #513
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
The umlauts problem is still not solved.
Duokan is still useless for EPUBs.

Does anyone know if the problem is at least known to the Chinese? I posted it a few times at their forum but I don't think anyone is aware of it or even working on it.
There has been filed several bug-reports on the problem. In fact, your contribution has been included. At the moment, they have included umlauts in utf-8 text documents. Also missing characters for several latin-languages. Hopefully, it will be included in pdf,mobi,epub, chm, etc. - eventually. However, their current solution is not good enough.

However, they have been very difficult to communicate with directly. Lacking details of the actual problems, and when/what we may expect anything. But they have made modifications for the .txt formats in response to the bug-reports.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #514
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

software update

Version: 0.5.13.8773 Beta0311
Suitable models: Kindle 2, kindle3 , kindleDX , Kindle DXG
File size: 39.48MB
Updated Time : 2011.3.11

Download here: http://dl.dbank.com/c0wk8uqlvj

Description:

This feature improvements :

1. Support full disk search book (just the book on USB drive's root directory to the directory under the display .)
2. When the player deleted all the songs, the system selection bar will appear.
3. There is no song, the player does not automatically exit.
4. In addition to passwords , dictionary , Home page, all the input box is open open the Pinyin input method .

Bug fixes:

1. PDF document format , a blank endorsement page text mode crash of bug.
2. Player shortcut E invalid bug.
3. CHM format of the document read to by page number to jump, jump to the last page and close reading deadlock.
4. Dictionary box pronunciation will not show the problem .
5. Bookstore in books or classified according to the letter corresponding to the location of the cursor did not move to the corresponding
6. Some small player bug.

Last edited by FethryDuck; 03-13-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #515
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
Bug fixes:
That is so much easier on the eyes and brain than:

"The restoration of the Bug:"
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #516
Fireye
Fireye began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Description:

This feature improvements :

1. Support full disk search book (just the book on USB drive's root directory to the directory under the display .)
2. When the player deleted all the songs, the system selection bar will appear.
3. There is no song, the player does not automatically exit.
4. In addition to passwords , dictionary , Home page, all the input box is open open the Pinyin input method .

Bug fixes:

1. PDF document format , a blank endorsement page text mode crash of bug.
2. Player shortcut E invalid bug.
3. CHM format of the document read to by page number to jump, jump to the last page and close reading deadlock.
4. Dictionary box pronunciation will not show the problem .
5. Bookstore in books or classified according to the letter corresponding to the location of the cursor did not move to the corresponding
6. Some small player bug.
I downloaded this last night, and after having to uninstall the Jailbreak .bin, install Duokan, and then reinstall the jailbreak .bin, I got it working.

First thing I noticed was that spacing in .mobi's seems to be a bit funky. After every apostrophe, there seems to be three or four spaces before the next character. This doesn't happen in FBReader, and it doesn't happen in in the native Kindle software. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried changing the font size, and font type, but it didn't help any.
Kindle (Correct):
http://hinome.net/images/screen_shot-3782.gif
Duokan (Incorrect):
http://hinome.net/images/20110313172922.jpg

There's also a lot of other formatting that appears to be absent in the duokan version, compared to the kindle version. Not as annoying as this bug though.
Fireye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #517
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireye View Post
I downloaded this last night, and after having to uninstall the Jailbreak .bin, install Duokan, and then reinstall the jailbreak .bin, I got it working.

First thing I noticed was that spacing in .mobi's seems to be a bit funky. After every apostrophe, there seems to be three or four spaces before the next character. This doesn't happen in FBReader, and it doesn't happen in in the native Kindle software. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried changing the font size, and font type, but it didn't help any.
Kindle (Correct):
http://hinome.net/images/screen_shot-3782.gif
Duokan (Incorrect):
http://hinome.net/images/20110313172922.jpg

There's also a lot of other formatting that appears to be absent in the duokan version, compared to the kindle version. Not as annoying as this bug though.
1. You don't have to do any jailbreak with Duokan. So you could spare yourself some
trouble.

2. Just in general: None of the different software will show the book the same. ( except some pdf might ) The layout, the fonts, paragraphs, etc. will differ.

3. Your examples is absolutely right. Duokan has many problems. They try to get different Chinese forms working, as well as Japanese, Korean, etc. For many of our short signs, punctuations, etc. they have to use a shorter space, plus they got some encoding difficulties - as our alphabet is only a small subset of what they use in the software. Then it prosess text differently according to the book formats. So, we have to be patient and hope they will improve all these details down the road.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #518
FethryDuck
Addict

A question:

I don't read Chinese, and I don't use Microsoft. But with the suftware, there is a USB-network software package. Has anyone tried it ? It would be interesting to know a bit more about it. On some of the older software releases, my impression was that it could set up and work with the Duokan kindle. In one case, it looked as if a debug options existed ?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #519
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Last I checked, that's the Windows usbnet drivers used when the Kindle is in ethernet over USB mode (ie. like the usbnetwork hack). Last I checked, they also bundled a telnetd & some way to switch the Kindle to eth over usb & launch it. That's just a root shell though, and unless their stuff outputs some sort of debug info somewhere, it won't do you much good.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #520
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Last I checked, that's the Windows usbnet drivers used when the Kindle is in ethernet over USB mode (ie. like the usbnetwork hack). Last I checked, they also bundled a telnetd & some way to switch the Kindle to eth over usb & launch it. That's just a root shell though, and unless their stuff outputs some sort of debug info somewhere, it won't do you much good.
yes, this makes some sense. I once came across something within some Chinese menu, which did look ( google translate ) as some sort of debug-mode. ( it was probably prior to K3, and may have been some K2 thing, I don't know. ) I have just been checking everywhere without finding it now. But some debug-mode would have made some sense, at least on some earlier stage. ( I have never tried their Windows software - so I just wondered if I had missed something )

thx - NiLuJe
Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #521
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's available (at least) from the boot menu switch (keycode 7, ie. 6, according to launchpad). And there's a DebugOn setting that you can put in the config file and set to 1 to possibly trigger more logging (in DK_System/DK_Debug.log).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-13-2011 at 11:48 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #522
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:

There's a bug in the current version.
If you select a small font size (home font size) in the system settings, the "list" of shortcuts for opening your books gets extended up the the letter S, which is reserved to start search. Thus, you cannot open the last book by using this shortcut.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #523
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's available (at least) from the boot menu switch (keycode 7, ie. 6, according to launchpad). And there's a DebugOn setting that you can put in the config file and set to 1 to possibly trigger more logging (in DK_System/DK_Debug.log).
hmm... have not found what I did mention earlier - but it could very well be something similar to what you explain here. I have no idea how that Windows program works, but I have not been able to see anything happening with the "keycode-7" entry. It may output something as it affect the network on a linux box - but I am not able to figure out what happens. It may time out something, and then mount the usb-storage. However, on the usual usbnetwork, I think it comes up as an RNDIS/ethernet-gadget usb0 system. Have you been able to connect to the DK system with usbnetwork ? - several things might be possible with access..
Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #524
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
There's a bug in the current version.
If you select a small font size (home font size) in the system settings, the "list" of shortcuts for opening your books gets extended up the the letter S, which is reserved to start search. Thus, you cannot open the last book by using this shortcut.
Confirmed. - copied your text above, with references into a bug report !

Else I don't know what the idea is with showing all pictures in the home listing.
hmm.. while I have them, I may upload them some screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19150202090346.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	68319   Click image for larger version

Name:	19150202092253.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	68320   Click image for larger version

Name:	19150202092532.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	68321   Click image for larger version

Name:	19150202092909.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	68322   Click image for larger version

Name:	19150202093153.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	68323  

Last edited by FethryDuck; 03-14-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #525
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Confirmed. Else I don't know what the idea is with showing all pictures in the home listing.
So, it appeared in the last beta?

I thought first it had something to do with me, "activating' the Amazon picture viewer (by creating a new directory 'pictures' in the root) and "installing" the Duokan software according to the Duokan light procedure.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote