Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Is the Sigil version in Windows the same as in Xubuntu?

I have a scenario where I'll be working on formatting a novel in an office where the computer is XP and the download for Sigil for that computer is from the Sigil site. Then at my apartment I will have a Xubuntu (v.13-10) where (I haven't done this yet) I will most likely be getting my Sigil from somebody's repository.

Now when I take the .epub of my novel from the Sigil on the XP computer to the Sigil on the Xubuntu computer can I trust that they are exactly the same, and that the novel will be exactly the same from one (and back and forth) to the other?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yes, when the versions are the same.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I have a scenario where I'll be working on formatting a novel in an office where the computer is XP and the download for Sigil for that computer is from the Sigil site. Then at my apartment I will have a Xubuntu (v.13-10) where (I haven't done this yet) I will most likely be getting my Sigil from somebody's repository.

Now when I take the .epub of my novel from the Sigil on the XP computer to the Sigil on the Xubuntu computer can I trust that they are exactly the same, and that the novel will be exactly the same from one (and back and forth) to the other?
Inside Sigil: YES
Outside Sigil: Not always

Unix, Linux file systems are Case Sensitive: << This is the biggest difference Windows users have to learn

Myfile.EPUB
Myfile.epub
myfile.epub
myfile.EpUb
all 100 variations in capitalization are 1 file(name) in windows
AND
100 file(name)s in *nix

If you open a terminal session in Linux (Windows calls it 'a command prompt'), there are more

(Linux | Windows)

ls dir
cat cp
rm del
mv move

and some that are the same
cd
date
exit

and a huge list that windows never could do

here is a small win-lin list from CENTOS : https://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/r...-doslinux.html
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Also the locations of files generally and how they are installed is not going to be even similar between them.

Not much of this or what the ducks said, except about the file names, should pose much of a problem once you get things set up and you know where the files you want to work with are.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
But I have personally noticed that spellcheck on Sigil for Windows will fail randomly (usually when there is an apostrophe) whereas linux has NEVER given me that problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But I have personally noticed that spellcheck on Sigil for Windows will fail randomly (usually when there is an apostrophe) whereas linux has NEVER given me that problem.
That too.

Oh!
Sigil also runs LOTS faster (on the same hardware) in Linux.

Get used to it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That too.

Oh!
Sigil also runs LOTS faster (on the same hardware) in Linux.

Get used to it
Oh I did. It's just sometimes when I'm not at my computer, and I'm running portableapps.com, I notice that problem with Sigil. Well, both problems.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Yes, when the versions are the same.
Toxari, I like your answer the best! These other guys are complicating things for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Inside Sigil: YES
Outside Sigil: Not always

Unix, Linux file systems are Case Sensitive: << This is the biggest difference Windows users have to learn

Myfile.EPUB
Myfile.epub
myfile.epub
myfile.EpUb
all 100 variations in capitalization are 1 file(name) in windows
AND
100 file(name)s in *nix

If you open a terminal session in Linux (Windows calls it 'a command prompt'), there are more

(Linux | Windows)

ls dir
cat cp
rm del
mv move

and some that are the same
cd
date
exit

and a huge list that windows never could do

here is a small win-lin list from CENTOS : https://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/r...-doslinux.html
Thanks, ducks, but you know, you guys are always saying how easy Linux is. And then, 'well, it's easy after you do these fourteen million things.'

Ah, I'm just kidding. That's a good heads-up though. I'll be paying close attention to case now. (And thanks for the comparison sheet--I've already memorized it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Also the locations of files generally and how they are installed is not going to be even similar between them.

Not much of this or what the ducks said, except about the file names, should pose much of a problem once you get things set up and you know where the files you want to work with are.
Thanks mrmikel, Yeah, I've heard the file system is different. But there's enough commonality I suppose. Like, I like the Ubuntu Software Center. (No line commands or repositories. Just buttons saying, "Click here.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Ok then. That's a reason to use Linux right there:

Sigil: Dont you think this Linux stuff shouldnt be this hard?
Linux: Don't you think this Linux stuff shouldn't be this hard?

AND IT'S FASTER IN LINUX! (I'm sold!)

(Is there a 'if you get stuck in Linux' forum in Sigil?)
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Linux is not that hard nowadays. In the past you need to really know your Linux/Unix to find your way. With the current distributions there is almost no need to leave the GUI and go into command line. Also in Windows I regularly use command line programs for some fast actions.
In that respect Linux has come a long, long way. The case sensitive part always annoyed me a bit, since it does not really has a purpose in my view (although I am certain others strongly disagree...). I always keep the filenames simple and most of the times I rename stuff in Sigil anyway and then I know it is done correctly.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The case sensitive part always annoyed me a bit, since it does not really has a purpose in my view (although I am certain others strongly disagree...).
I usually don't have filenames that differ only in case, but I find it very annoying in Windows when I want to rename a file to change its case: I have to rename it to something else, and then to the name I want.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Thanks Toxaris

Quote:
Linux is not that hard nowadays. In the past you need to really know your Linux/Unix to find your way. With the current distributions there is almost no need to leave the GUI and go into command line. Also in Windows I regularly use command line programs for some fast actions.
In that respect Linux has come a long, long way. The case sensitive part always annoyed me a bit, since it does not really has a purpose in my view (although I am certain others strongly disagree...). I always keep the filenames simple and most of the times I rename stuff in Sigil anyway and then I know it is done correctly.
Thanks Toxaris. I am not going to be doing anything earth-shattering in Linux anyway. Most of the stuff I need is already loaded (the word processor program--I forget the name of it and I'm not on that computer--that will make a .doc document) or in the Ubuntu Software Center. It will just be the odd thing here or there that I'll need that won't be in the Center that I'll have to learn a bit, but I'm sure after a while even that will be easy. I'll be careful with the case sensitive aspect of the file names and keep in mind your suggestion of renaming stuff in Sigil. Appreciate it!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
I'll be careful with the case sensitive aspect of the file names and keep in mind your suggestion of renaming stuff in Sigil. Appreciate it!
And don't use blanks in your filenames when you name them on the windows machine.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I'll be careful with the case sensitive aspect of the file names and keep in mind your suggestion of renaming stuff in Sigil.
Most people don't need to worry about file names being case-sensitive in Linux. If you're opening files by selecting them from a dialogue box, the case doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
And don't use blanks in your filenames when you name them on the windows machine.
I assume by blanks you mean spaces, in which case, why not? I have plenty of files and directories on my Linux boxes with spaces in the names, and have no issues.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I assume by blanks you mean spaces, in which case, why not? I have plenty of files and directories on my Linux boxes with spaces in the names, and have no issues.
Just means you have to put quotes around them when doing stuff on the command line. But exactly the same is true in Windows, too, of course. I certainly see no reason to avoid spaces in filenames - they can make them a lot more readable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just means you have to put quotes around them when doing stuff on the command line. But exactly the same is true in Windows, too, of course. I certainly see no reason to avoid spaces in filenames - they can make them a lot more readable.
Or use backslashes to escape them, but I suspect that'll not be an issue for Gregg. When using graphical tools, spaces in file names are irrelevant.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote