Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #23821
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I like b. It's naturally the way we usually do things when we first get home: throw our coats on the sofa, turn on the tv, get upstairs, and then get down to kitchen. Why should you see the kitchen first thing when you enter the house?

Also because I feel that there shouldn't be any "hard" structure in the middle of the house (staircase in plan f, for example).

But a drawback for plan b is that there are not enough bathroom (shower and tub alike).
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #23822
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I like b. It's naturally the way we usually do things when we first get home: throw our coats on the sofa, turn on the tv, get upstairs, and then get down to kitchen. Why should you see the kitchen first thing when you enter the house?

Also because I feel that there shouldn't be any "hard" structure in the middle of the house (staircase in plan f, for example).

But a drawback for plan b is that there are not enough bathroom (shower and tub alike).
I'm sure that's what most people do when they get home. For us it's a bit different. When I get home I usually go to the kitchen first. Have something to eat and then start cooking. We turn on the tv at night when everything's done. A large part of the time we spend at home is spend in the kitchen.
It really doesn't matter to us which part of the house you see first upon entering. What's important is that every part (kitchen and living area) is connected. So that I can cook dinner and still talk to BF sitting on the couch or the kids who are playing in the sitting area.

Right now d and f are my favourites. A combination of the two would be even better
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #23823
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
Really good idea about putting the corridor on the short side of the house! Weird that we hadn't thought about that yet. But then what do you do with the tiny place at the front right? It's 2m wide and 1m long. You can't use it for anything. So maybe it is more logical to have the entrance and corridor on the long side after all ...
With the corridor on the left, either you have a bit of front space, and the section on the front right becomes a bike shed (as in f, but with the doorway where the tree is), or you make the right front of the house follow the line of the plot, with a small indent for the front door at the left hand side (perhaps a recessed porch*), more like the front of b, but with the flat bit on the left.

* Having the front door in a recessed porch was very popular in the 1930s in the UK.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #23824
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Best of luck! How do you feel the interview went?
I've just heard from the agency. It seems the interview went well. I hope to hear something official in the next few days. Then there need to be some background checks, but I don't anticipate any problems there.

Just finished Coke Zero #4. I'm definitely falling back into bad habits here. I shall try to get back to two a day, with iced water otherwise.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #23825
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just heard from the agency. It seems the interview went well. I hope to hear something official in the next few days. .......
congrats!

in my cup: cold coffee

(filling in the forms for my visa to China and Uzbekistan)
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #23826
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I've just heard from the agency. It seems the interview went well. I hope to hear something official in the next few days. Then there need to be some background checks, but I don't anticipate any problems there.
Excellent. Having just been on the other side of the process (I have just recruited 2 senior managers) I know how stressful a process it can be for all concerned. Best of luck with closing the deal.

In my cup, a glass of Rioja as I slough off the cares of a long day. .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #23827
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Good luck, pdurrant!

Just starting tea #2.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #23828
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
I'm sure that's what most people do when they get home. For us it's a bit different. When I get home I usually go to the kitchen first. Have something to eat and then start cooking. We turn on the tv at night when everything's done. A large part of the time we spend at home is spend in the kitchen.
It really doesn't matter to us which part of the house you see first upon entering. What's important is that every part (kitchen and living area) is connected. So that I can cook dinner and still talk to BF sitting on the couch or the kids who are playing in the sitting area.

Right now d and f are my favourites. A combination of the two would be even better
if you want the .02 from a Realtor (and of course in the US we have different expectations), here goes...
a second at least toilet is critical, some buyers won't even look at places with just one toilet. the ability to have a bath and a shower is desirable, don't exclude a bath over the shower, a shower wand can be added to a tub, you're kind of limited with a shower only. the open/great room concept is king now. galley kitchens or kitchens which are small rooms are dinosaurs. people are spending a great deal in modifications to renovate these kitchen dinosaurs.

the other thing I would add which you may or may not be able to add is a second room that is either a family room, play room, or formal living room... just something to let the kids have some space away from the adult area that does not have to be kept in a pristine condition all of the time
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #23829
Amy GD
Banned
Amy GD is on a distinguished road

Device: none
hot tea that I just finished drinking
Amy GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #23830
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
What type of tea?

Water right now but had Sencha, an Oolong, and Blue Spring Oolong through out the day.

Fever is back. Going to bed
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #23831
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
gypsy cold care tea with a whopping shot of brandy

POOH!!!!! I'm gonna get ya'!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #23832
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Almonds and Craisins (sweetened, dried cranberries).
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #23833
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Rocky Road ice cream in my cup and waiting for my coffee to brew.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #23834
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
if you want the .02 from a Realtor (and of course in the US we have different expectations), here goes...
a second at least toilet is critical, some buyers won't even look at places with just one toilet. the ability to have a bath and a shower is desirable, don't exclude a bath over the shower, a shower wand can be added to a tub, you're kind of limited with a shower only. the open/great room concept is king now. galley kitchens or kitchens which are small rooms are dinosaurs. people are spending a great deal in modifications to renovate these kitchen dinosaurs.

the other thing I would add which you may or may not be able to add is a second room that is either a family room, play room, or formal living room... just something to let the kids have some space away from the adult area that does not have to be kept in a pristine condition all of the time
Thanks! We don't have enough money right now to add a whole new room just for the kids. In some of the designs they added a 'polyvanent space' that could be used as play room at first and as library later.

Quote:
Congrats!

Cappuccino in my cup. Still not feeling great, but it's the last day of the week. So I can look forward to some much needed sleep!
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #23835
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Afternoon mug of East India Company's "Assam" tea.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?