Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
tbranson13
tbranson13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Image Thumbnails and Zoom

According to the brief bit in the Sigil Guidelines (the online HTML HELP), you are "supposed" to be able to create or imbed thumbnails using a ZOOM feature associated with the INSERT IMAGE function. However, I cannot find that on-screen. Now, I am (admittedly) trying edit an existing file with images already inserted. I really don't want to have to start from scratch, i.e. delete all the images and then re-insert them. Can anyone tell me how to create thumbnails and/or insert pre-made ones? If there's an online tutorial for this, please just point me in the right direction and I'll do the rest. FYI, I'm making children's picture books for EPUB and having a devil of a time figuring out Sigil's image output (size, resolution, etc.). So any information on dealing with inserted images in Sigil would be most appreciated.
tbranson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
The zoom buttons to choose the size of the thumbnails, it's only for the Insert Files window.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The function works as described. You can show thumbnails in the insert images screen by pressing the zoom buttons.

I think you misunderstood the function and the documentation. It is NOT about embedding a thumbnail in the text of the book. For that just insert the images and set the height or width smaller than the original dimensions.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbranson13 View Post
FYI, I'm making children's picture books for EPUB and having a devil of a time figuring out Sigil's image output (size, resolution, etc.). So any information on dealing with inserted images in Sigil would be most appreciated.
Hi:

Other folks answered your other part, so I'll skip over that. With regard to these last two sentences of yours, I think there is a misunderstanding--Sigil doesn't have "image output size." You set the image size by virtue of a) the size of the original image you place in the file, and b) the HTML and CSS coding that you use to tell the image to display properly in the resulting ePUB file. Sigil doesn't do it for you, and it does not have an image-resizing feature like...like Word. You can't click on the image, grab a corner, and make the image larger/smaller. Sigil's not a word-processor; it's an XHTML/CSS ePUB editor, meant for working in code, primarily. So you'll need to have some familiarity with HTML, at least, or HTML and CSS, in order to set "image output size."

You'll want to know precisely how many pixels, in height and width, you want your image to display at, and set that in the coding.

Also, can you tell me--are you trying to create an illustrated children's book? Like images with text atop the illustrations, for a fixed-format book, for iBooks or Kindle? Or simply a young reader's story, with some illustrations embedded in the text, along the way? Are the illustrations the primary feature of the story, or an adjunct to the story?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you are trying to change the size of images already inserted you can right click to open with and edit them with any image editor already on your computer.

If you want a program that will allow you to resize images "on the fly," Atlantis Word Processor does this in addition to allowing to you to paste images into the document you want to be an epub.

The pasting process works fine, but it lead to some bloat if you reuse an image repeatedly, as it stores the same image every time you paste it in.

AWP, however, only publishes your epub after you are done editing. It does not edit the epub itself, so if you wanted to make changes you would go back to the original rtf, work with it and publish it again.

Last edited by mrmikel; 08-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert