Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
I'm on windows 7 64bit. How do you take screenshots?
Use your print screen button on your keyboard then paste into a graphics program.

Here are the settings for my Calibre. Other then using a different profile all other settings are default.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	set1.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	86666   Click image for larger version

Name:	set2.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	86667   Click image for larger version

Name:	set3.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	86668  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #62
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast
Sasssysweeet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and K3G
Elizabeth, the crashing of mobi files that could be seen was my original problem which got fixed but then all of the sudden after the most recent update of calibre new files just didn't show up at all. You would not believe how frustrating this all has been.
Sasssysweeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #63
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Okay, I converted a file using Blossom's format and it seems to be working. Let's hope it continues. LOL. If not I will be back over here again. You all have been sooooooooo helpful and I totally appreciate it. I'll post an update if this fix continues to work out. Thanks again for everything.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasssysweeet View Post
Elizabeth, the crashing of mobi files that could be seen was my original problem which got fixed but then all of the sudden after the most recent update of calibre new files just didn't show up at all. You would not believe how frustrating this all has been.
Sounds to me there is a setting that is causing this and those using that setting is having this issue. Now if only we could narrow down which setting it is.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #65
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
With the Harmer John book, I've narrowed it down to structure detection. Just a few more permutations and I'll post more.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #66
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using Harmer John epub - converting epub to mobi,

the crashing problem arises from settings in structure detection, specifically "insert metadata at start of book."

Variations with it checked, never opened on the fire without crashing. Variations with it not checked, worked with no problem.

for those that like AZW3, checked or not resulted in the book opening with no problems.

Does this apply to all calibre created mobi files? Probably not, as I have several that have metadata inserted at the beginning and that work just fine on the fire. But, if I have problem with a file, I would try re-doing the conversion without insert metadata. I'd also try to avoid additional variables by removing the problem file from the device and deleting the mobi file from calibre. Then convert, and send the new mobi to the fire.

Hope this helps Sasssysweeet and others with problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	86676   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	86677   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	86678   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	86679  
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #67
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
Using Harmer John epub - converting epub to mobi,

the crashing problem arises from settings in structure detection, specifically "insert metadata at start of book."

Variations with it checked, never opened on the fire without crashing. Variations with it not checked, worked with no problem.

for those that like AZW3, checked or not resulted in the book opening with no problems.

Does this apply to all calibre created mobi files? Probably not, as I have several that have metadata inserted at the beginning and that work just fine on the fire. But, if I have problem with a file, I would try re-doing the conversion without insert metadata. I'd also try to avoid additional variables by removing the problem file from the device and deleting the mobi file from calibre. Then convert, and send the new mobi to the fire.

Hope this helps Sasssysweeet and others with problems.
Good work! The other person who had crashing had metadata inserted too. Looks like a bug ticket needs to be submitted so that Kovid can take a look at it.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #68
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Out of curiosity I used all of Blossom's settings but went ahead and checked the insert metadata and the file still appeared. I haven't tried the drag and drop method to see if it works yet.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #69
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

bug report filed, probably low priority as this is not happening with every conversion and work-arounds exist
Old 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #70
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle paperwhite
I'm another show-metadata guy who is having the crashing problem. Just found this thread. Interestingly, when I converted to azw3 instead of mobi, the files seem to work (though I don't like them because they justify the right margin against my preferences). I do hope Kovid will find a workaround for this bug that doesn't involve some of the drawbacks the earlier workaround did. These file crashes have been annoying. My observation is that the Fire can't approach how sturdy a reader the K3 (keyboard) is. I never had any of these problems with it, and I have collections and so many other features they've never bothered to add to the Fire.
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #71
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

I also never had any probs with my K3G. I am currently able to convert without crashing problems but I haven't used any of the updates for Calibre recently because I'm afraid something will go wrong again.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #72
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Just as a note here, what is currently working for me is to reconvert the file from its source to .rtf (rich text file). Then I convert from there to a .mobi, and the file doesn't crash. it's not an ideal solution. I lose some hyperlinks, for example. But it's a workaround until we a new version of Calibre addresses this bug.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #73
saxondawg
Connoisseur

Well, it looks to me like Kovid has already addressed this problem with Calibre 8.5.5. The fact that I'm not surprised indicates just how my opinion is of this program and the perfectionist approach to it of its creator. I couldn't be any more appreciative.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #74
saxondawg
Connoisseur

Oops. I spoke too soon. Getting lots of crashes in the Fire now. For the record, i see the problem as a Kindle Fire one, not a Calibre one. I never heard about crashes on previous generations of Kindles. I don't really understand why the Fire is so unstable in its reader program--why it still lacks features like collections, universal search, page numbers. I hate to say it (being a big Amazon supporter) but my K3 eInk looks better and better all the time. The Fire has given me lots of headaches.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #75
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Try following all the settings that Blossom posted. It worked on mine and I haven't updated because I don't want to mess anything up.