Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
Pi - The Official Indian Ebook-Reader!

Hello friends!

I visited the World Book Fair at Delhi, India last month and came across this e-book reader. I had no idea that this was under development.

Pi is being touted as India's first eBook reader. Though, design wise it is nothing revolutionary, it could prove a good buy for people on the lookout for a 'budget' reader (approximately $220 USD or 146 GBP). It has almost all the basic functions.

Here are the main specs:

1. 6" Vizplex e Ink screen, b&w 8 Grayscale
2. Supports almost all major formats: PDF, EPUB, HTML, TXT, MOBI, DOC
3. Internal Memory - 512 MB. Extendable up to 4 GB through SanDisk SDHC.
4. MP3 player.
5. The battery supposed to last for "7 days", which is a pretty vague description.
6. Progress bar to display position in the book.
7. Search inside a book or document.
8. Sort documents (Date, filename, Catalog).
9. Game Play by Function Key & Navigation for Soduku.
10. Increase font size and reflow text automatically.
11. Add bookmarks.
12. Screen Rotate for landscape / portrait views.
14. For those interested, it also supports local languages or vernacular like Hindi, Marathi etc.

Luckily, I was carrying my Sony PRS-505 so was able to compare.

Even though PRS-505 has a 16 Grayscale screen, this holds up pretty well. I found the screen to be surprisingly sharp and crisp. Another thing which caught me off-guard was how fast the page turns are. Maybe, I felt this because my PRS-505 is stuffed with around 600 books and this one had a few, but there was a noticeable difference. The music, as expected, does not sound great.

Also, these guys have a dedicated website to download books from. All DRM'd, of course. I felt left out when Sony website did not let me download any books but these guys have a pretty good collection too. I have since bought close to 15 books from them.

Frankly, I am not considering buying the device cause I'm happy with what I have I just thought this information should be here. I also wanted to put this under E-Book Devices Forums, but somehow couldn't figure out how to. I hope this was helpful in some manner, though.

Here are some pics from their website:

http://www.infibeam.com/Pi#specsAnchor
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
That looks awfully like a rebadged Netronix machine like the Cybook Gen 3. But then, I'm very fond of my Cybook, so that's no bad thing.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
That looks awfully like a rebadged Netronix machine like the Cybook Gen 3.
Yes. The 8 grey scales suggests it has the updated Epson Broadsheet controller (like the Gen 3 Gold). The supported formats suggest it is based on the standard Netronix firmware, like the Cool-er (and not like the custom firmware on the Cybook).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
That looks awfully like a rebadged Netronix machine like the Cybook Gen 3. But then, I'm very fond of my Cybook, so that's no bad thing.

Graham

it does look like a white Gen3 ..... (cheaper too!)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Ujjaini
Ujjaini
Ujjaini began at the beginning.

Device: None
I think with 64 mb the processor ought to be slow ....lot of flicker and 3 mm music jack sucks really.
I am planning to buy the same.....since noone other available in India, i would prefer BEbook anyday that PI.
Ujjaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=india

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=infibeam

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=infibeam

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=india

previous threads about Infibeam and the Pi reader
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote