Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
NOOK STR not working properly on airplane?

I bought a NOOK STR recently in the US and when flying home I noticed that it did not work properly. When changing page the old text was not erased properly. I got black "shadows" left. After landing I tested at the airport and it worked OK.

So was I just unlucky and had a glitch or could the different pressure in the aircraft affect this functionality? Anybody else having seen this. It is a bit annoying since I bought it mostly for using on long flights since the battery time in my phone and iPad was not enough.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Bermuda triangle I bet!
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think that it was just a coincidence. People have complained about this intermittent problem before, unrelated to being in a plane. I think the usual work-around is to reboot, or maybe just put it into sleep and reawaken it. Just push the switch at the top of the back quickly to put it to sleep immediately, and then push the "n" button on the bottom to reawaken it normally.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Good to hear that it most probably was coincidence. I tried just put it to sleep and it did not work. But of course I turned it off completely before landing so a reboot seems to solve the problem then.

Noticed also when flying that they have added "... and that includes ebooks" when telling what to turn off for landing and take-off.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Good to hear that it most probably was coincidence. I tried just put it to sleep and it did not work. But of course I turned it off completely before landing so a reboot seems to solve the problem then.

Noticed also when flying that they have added "... and that includes ebooks" when telling what to turn off for landing and take-off.
To refresh the screen press the Nook button, wait a few seconds and press the Nook button again. That will usually clear the ghosting.
Only if the ghosting is very severe you will have to reboot.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
To refresh the screen press the Nook button, wait a few seconds and press the Nook button again. That will usually clear the ghosting.
Only if the ghosting is very severe you will have to reboot.
Interesting. I read this before but I keep forgetting, the problem happens so infrequently at least on my device.

Just to be clear, do you mean press the Nook button and hold it down for a few seconds, then release it and press it again, or do you mean press it the first time and release it right away and then wait a few seconds and press it again?

Last edited by RAH; 08-31-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Interesting. I read this before but I keep forgetting, the problem happens so infrequently at least on my device.

Just to be clear, do you mean press the Nook button and hold it down for a few seconds, then release it and press it again, or do you mean press it the first time and release it right away and then wait a few seconds and press it again?
Press the Nook button once (icons appear down on the screen). Wait a few seconds. Press the Nook button again (icons disappear).

At least with my Nook Touch direct sunlight sometimes seems to trigger ghosting. Otherwise no ghosting.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
RAH
Guru

Thanks! Certainly is easy.