Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #61
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS650, T1, Kindle touch, PocketBook Touch
I'm glad that most swedish publishers have abandoned ADE.
Instead of the "hard DRM" that ADE stands for, they've instead adopted the "soft DRM" as the germans also use.
A hidden (or sometimes not so hidden) unique "waterstamp", created in the ebook when downloaded, allows people to copy the book - for own use - without all the hairpulling associated with Adobes system. Commercial copy is of course still forbidden, hence this stamp that acts as a social or moral compass.

Works great.

A shame that I still have to use ADE when getting my english books.

As mentioned previously in this(?) thread, someone said that even though one can deauthorize the computer (and hopfully the ereader), that doesn't free up authorizations.
Could that really be the case?
I'm getting my fourth or fifth or sixth ereader next week (I'm not sure how the computer/ADE sees it) and I don't want to run out of authorizations.

Anybody who knows?

Take care,
Mange
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #62
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I think that watermarking is a fine way of applying a level of protection onto the media. Glad to see others taking this approach.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #63
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Something to say about the Sony Store:

Now that my own wee house has its US registration rubber-stamped this month, we can at last deal direct with the big new US-based ebook stores that disqualify publishers without an 'official' US presence.

Whilst going through the complex contract yesterday we found to our delight that we could choose NOT to have our titles DRM locked. You can guess which option we went for. Cheers. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #64
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
+1 Neil for going that option. Let's hope that more and more writes choose to avoid binding their work with DRM. As said before, I'm happy with watermarks but I don't consider that DRM (what would people consider it as?)

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #65
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Something to say about the Sony Store:

...Whilst going through the complex contract yesterday we found to our delight that we could choose NOT to have our titles DRM locked.
That's very interesting, as Sony was one of the stores that would not allow Cory Doctorow to publish without DRM in his recent experiment. And E-reads has reported to me that Sony requires DRM. I wonder if this is a recent change of policy.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, drm protection, epub, kindle, mobi