Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
wyatt650
wyatt650 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
duplicate cover in mobi

I am getting a duplicate cover when I kindlegen an .epub file into a .mobi file.
The .epub file has one cover.html page, with attribute cover page. The .jpg file for this has attribute cover image.
But when kindlegen generates the .mobi file, it produces two duplicate covers.
Thanks for any help!
wyatt650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
A Kindlegen question, moved
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt650 View Post
I am getting a duplicate cover when I kindlegen an .epub file into a .mobi file.
The .epub file has one cover.html page, with attribute cover page. The .jpg file for this has attribute cover image.
But when kindlegen generates the .mobi file, it produces two duplicate covers.
Thanks for any help!
You forgot to add the properly "semantic" to the cover.html page and the cover.jpg image. Do the following:

1. Open Sigil and load the epub with the issue.
2. Do right click with the mouse in the cover.html page (in the Book Browser window).
3. Select the command "Add Semantics" and do click where you read "Cover" (the first option).
4. Now do click in the Images folder (to open it) and do right click in the image that will be your cover.
5. Select the command "Add Semantics" and do click where you read "Cover Image" (the only option).

That's all. Save the epub and compile it with Kindlegen.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
wyatt650

Thanks Ruben, but I did add the semantics to both cover and cover image when I built the .epub file. That was what I meant when I wrote that they had those attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
You forgot to add the properly "semantic" to the cover.html page and the cover.jpg image. Do the following:

1. Open Sigil and load the epub with the issue.
2. Do right click with the mouse in the cover.html page (in the Book Browser window).
3. Select the command "Add Semantics" and do click where you read "Cover" (the first option).
4. Now do click in the Images folder (to open it) and do right click in the image that will be your cover.
5. Select the command "Add Semantics" and do click where you read "Cover Image" (the only option).

That's all. Save the epub and compile it with Kindlegen.

Regards
Rubén
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You either have to get rid of the cover.html page completely, or use the linear="no" option in the spine section of the opf file if you want to leave the cover.html page in the epub (for compatibility with other vendors) and exempt it from the normal flow. The Kindle doesn't use the html page for the cover--only the image itself.

It's all documented in section 3.2 of the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
wyatt650

Thanks DiapDealer. I fixed the problem but I am not a coder so I don't know why this worked:
Duplicate cover appeared with code in this order:
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="cover.htm" />
<itemref idref="Roads_-_book_2.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0001.htm" />

But when I moved the <itemref idref="cover.htm" /> to be the last line instead of the first line, the problem went away ?!? So probably mobi/Kindle is ignoring one of those references to the cover?
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="Roads_-_book_2.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0001.htm" />
<itemref idref="cover.htm" />

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You either have to get rid of the cover.html page completely, or use the linear="no" option in the spine section of the opf file if you want to leave the cover.html page in the epub (for compatibility with other vendors) and exempt it from the normal flow. The Kindle doesn't use the html page for the cover--only the image itself.

It's all documented in section 3.2 of the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But when I moved the <itemref idref="cover.htm" /> to be the last line instead of the first line, the problem went away ?!? So probably mobi/Kindle is ignoring one of those references to the cover?
The spine section takes care of the order in which the various files comprising the book are presented. So all you've done is taken your duplicate cover-image "page" and moved to to the end of the book. It's not "ignoring" anything.

You could have left it where it was and changed it to:
Code:
<itemref idref="cover.htm" linear="no" />
before converting the epub with Kindlegen.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, duplicate, epub, kindlegen, mobi cover