Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

fed up with sony

So I ordered my Sony reader at the beginning December, finally they decided to send it in Janurary, making it too late to get the $50 credit. It takes nearly 2 weeks in transit, though I did get an email that I will still get the credit.

The box arrives, feels very light. I open it up and there is the reader box an 2 packing peanuts, Im like hmm.
Still feels light and so I marvel at the electronics of the era.

I open the reader box and nothing!!!! no reader, no cd no instructions no charger nothing at all apart from good old fresh air!

An angry call to Sony has them produce a form I receive in my email that I have to fill in and fax back, it then takes them 3 days to acknowledge they got the fax.

Now they will investigate my claim, if I am seen to be in the right they will re oder it for me and ship it at no extra charge, oh how magnanimous of them.

And yet I still wait for my reader to arrive, guess I will just stick with the trusted book, they've served well for thousands of years.
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
After my own Sony Portable Reader fiasco with Sony Style I'm only buying Sony Portable Readers from Borders.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Wow that sucks Akumag! And you know the assume you are trying to cheat them or something. They should easily be able to compare the shipping weight and tell that nothing was in it, assuming the shipper did not steal it!

scotty, was yours also from the website, or from a store? I had no trouble with my unit from the Sony Style store.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

Best bit was that shipping box was not tampered with I had to break all the labels when I opened it.

One can only assume then that either the person whom placed it in the shipping box had a lovely Christmas at my expense or nobody figured out it weighs nothing when they packaged it, and come on 2 packing peanuts for a whopping huge box!

Had trouble with both of my Sony mp3 players from their site also and their Connect Sonic Stage for the mp3 players and just one account per computer? And Ive had 4 2GB memory sticks just die on me and had to be shipped back to Sony to be replaced.

I'm still looking forward to the reader when they approve my case and re-order it and I wait another 2 months. But it'll be the last Sony toy for me, thats for sure, well last bar the PS3.

Still going through this forum I'm picking up some cool tips for when it arrives, thanks to all the wonderful people here.
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
This sounds exactly like a similar case posted here last week; coincidence or SNAFU? Hope they correct their error for you soon, and that you still get to score the CONNECT credit too. I'd be just as frustrated if the same thing happened to me, though according to the package I received, FedEx was instructed to not leave the box at the door and to only attempt to deliver it twice (eek!).

Good luck!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Might not be someone at Sony. With all the terrorist paranoia going around, it could be someone in the shipping. My package was opened and badly rewrapped but fortunately nothing missed.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumag2
...But it'll be the last Sony toy for me, thats for sure...
Know what you mean. I've had Sony stuff, especially stereo components, for years, but they are the most frustrating company I've ever dealt with.

Their products are excellent but their customer relations are the worst ever. Trying to get tech support from anybody who knows what they are talking about is next to impossible. Trying to find somebody who cares about your problem is completely impossible!

It has been this way for years and never improves. Too bad, as they have some great stuff, but it is not worth the hassle if anything goes wrong or you need help.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As I have mentioned in other threads (and other forums), Sony Customer Service has been wonderful for me. I had a problem with one of their monitors (back when they made computer monitors) that required several returns. After the first trip back they provided prepaid shipping for the next two, the direct phone number to the supervisor, and on the last exchange a free upgrade to the next model version (the one having both a digital plug as well as the regular VGA plug.) My emails and converstaions with Sony about the CONNECT Store have likewise been excellent. Many years ago my Father-in-law had a problem with his BetaMax and picked up the shipping on the first (and only) repair. The BetaMax and the monitor are still working today.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:15 AM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Beta-what?! Lol, just kidding. It's great to hear that someone is still using that device considering the age. I actually found the original Star Wars trilogy (not the re-release) at a local Goodwill a year or so ago (in the states, not here) and thought it'd be an intersting thing to pick up for my collection. Too bad I can't play them, neat nonetheless. Glad to hear your Sony experience has gone well RWood, too bad most companies have lost the focus that their customer base is what keeps them in business.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote