Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Casander7
Casander7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Can I use Calibre to sort SD card collections alphabetically?

I have been experimenting with Calibre for my Sony Reader PRS 505 and like what I see - it is certainly easier to use than the Sony Reader Library. However, I can't work out if it can get over one of my biggest issues with the Reader - it insists on sorting books in collections on the SD cards in the date they were added, not alphabetically. This frustrates me as I have created lots of books by few authors and have to scroll through pages and pages to find what I want. From trying to add a couple of books through Calibre it looks as if the problem can't be solved. Would be grateful if someone could confirme one way or the other!

Kind regards
Casander7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When calibre adds a book to a collection, calibre sorts the collection by title unless the collection is made from series, in which case it is sorted by series order.

Perhaps you are talking about the Sony built-in lists, such as by title and by author? Calibre can't do anything about these -- it can control the order only in items in the 'Collections' list. A work-around might be to ask calibre to make collections from author (or author_sort); these will be sorted by title.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Casander7
Casander7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
When calibre adds a book to a collection, calibre sorts the collection by title unless the collection is made from series, in which case it is sorted by series order.

Perhaps you are talking about the Sony built-in lists, such as by title and by author? Calibre can't do anything about these -- it can control the order only in items in the 'Collections' list. A work-around might be to ask calibre to make collections from author (or author_sort); these will be sorted by title.
Many thanks for this. I was talking about the ' Collections' list on the SD card. I will try the idea of creating collections by author/author sort. Incidentally, before I experimented with Calibre I backed up the books on the SD card and then deleted them all along with the Cache and Database, which I should have thought would clear all previous Collections information. However I just started up the library and it's all still there, as previously! Could anyone help on how I can clear these entirely?

Kind regards
Casander7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casander7 View Post
Incidentally, before I experimented with Calibre I backed up the books on the SD card and then deleted them all along with the Cache and Database, which I should have thought would clear all previous Collections information. However I just started up the library and it's all still there, as previously! Could anyone help on how I can clear these entirely?
When you say 'started up the library', what is it that you are starting? What was the sequence of steps you took?

If the 'library' is the 505, then I can see one scenario where the collections would still be there. I can't test it because my 300 doesn't support cards.

The sony database in its main memory contains collections information for main memory and the cards. If you deleted the books by putting the card into a card reader instead of plugging in the Sony, then the Sony might not notice that the books are gone when you put the card back into the device. To make the Sony notice, I suggest that you plug the sony into the computer, being sure that the card is inserted. Don't bother to start calibre or the Sony Reader SW. Unplug the device, at which point it should look around to see what has changed. It should notice the now-empty card and clean up the database.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote