Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What is RAM size of Nook?

I can't find any reference to the internal SDRAM size of Nook. I believe the size really affects how well it displays PDF document.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I'm not entirely sure that the nook has any sdram, it may only have flash memory, of which there is 2gb on board. I can't find any reference to sdram used in addition to flash memory on other ebook devices, so I can't say if it's standard to use it or not.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I'm not entirely sure that the nook has any sdram, it may only have flash memory, of which there is 2gb on board. I can't find any reference to sdram used in addition to flash memory on other ebook devices, so I can't say if it's standard to use it or not.
Well every computer or electronic devices must have RAM or any type of volatile memory in order to work.

I know that:

Pocketpro 32MB
Sony PRS-600 128MB
Pocketbook 301+ 32MB
Pocketbook 360 64MB
Coolreader 128MB
Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I can't find any reference to the internal SDRAM size of Nook. I believe the size really affects how well it displays PDF document.
I have not seen anything on the CPU or display controller or RAM on the Nook.

Since the Nook will be using mobile Adobe Digital Editions for PDFs, its capability will be similar to other 6" EInk devices with ADE. This might still allow reflow and/or zoom, and the color touch pad could be used for navigation, so there is room for innovation. If I had to guess, I would say it will only support portrait and landscape with reflow - which is the most common mode on "basic" readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Well every computer or electronic devices must have RAM or any type of volatile memory in order to work.
Not necessarily. I had several Palm PDAs which used flash for RAM (non-volatile file system). Slow as molasses, but that's how they worked. Since most ebook readers don't have much bigger demands than a standard Palm, I figured they might work the same way.

Good to know the ebook readers have sdram in addition to their flash storage.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Not necessarily. I had several Palm PDAs which used flash for RAM (non-volatile file system). Slow as molasses, but that's how they worked. Since most ebook readers don't have much bigger demands than a standard Palm, I figured they might work the same way.
In early day, Palm has only SDRAM (Palm I, II, III, v, vx, etc). Later they have both SDRAM and flash (Tungsten E2, TX, Treo 650, 680, etc). I cannot remember which Palm model don't have SDRAM. They have at least 32MB SDRAM.

Sorry Kezza, doesn't mean to further comment on this issue. Just wonder how devices can work without RAM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #7
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:

I know that:

Pocketbook 301+ 32MB
Pocketbook 301+ 64MB now
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote