Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
400 HTML files with images; how do I make a book?

I extracted the HTML from a CHM file. So far, so good.
Now I want to turn the 400 individual HTML pages that I've got in a folder, into an open source ebook format, like epub, alternatively just a pdf.
My reader is an IREX 800.
Really grateful for advice!
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
If it's HTML you're halfway there. You can use Sigil to turn it into an ePub.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Martienne, have you tried Mobipocket Creator? It can convert a chm-file into a mobi-file (which you could further convert into epub).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
Try Calibre which lets you input a CHM file and outputs in a format of your choosing. Suggest an epub format then go into Sigil to edit it as required.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Thanks for the tips about Sigill, I'll check that out!

While trying to convert directly from CHM to PDF or DOC I had some problems with crashes, freezes etc, or the the program was only converting the FIRST chm page, or only chapter by chapter. That's why I decided to do it in two steps. Just couldn't find anything that did a conversion straight from CHM and didn't quit in the middle. Although I am doing this on my laptop, it's very good spec and I was really surprised it cut out.

I had an older version of Calibre though, and now I have upgraded, so maybe it would work better.

Anyway I found a way to convert to Word, and did some editing there (took out the HTML style navigation bars.) Then I saved as PDF and all seems well.

Last edited by martienne; 07-09-2011 at 04:42 AM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
"Anyway I found a way to convert to Word..."

Could you tell us what that was? Did you find something that would batch merge HTML files into one Word doc?
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
HTML concatenator (command-line)

I've just run into the same problem and I've coded a simple command line HTML concatenator, so you simply issue

HTMLCat book.htm part1.htm part2.htm part3.htm ...

at a command prompt and it merges part1, part2, part3, etc. in the specified order into book.htm.
Alternatively, if all your filenames are in alphabetical order you can simplify and do things like

HTMLCat book.htm cover.htm chapter*.htm

The thing is still a bit crude (it simply keeps the HTML <head> of the first file and concatenates all of the <body> contents of every file after that, so all files must use the same encoding, no ID attributes are checked for duplicity, etc.) but otherwise fully functional.

Anyone interested? It's writen in REXX, so it can be run on Windows, Linux and pretty much everything else right away with Regina REXX

Last edited by MrWarper; 10-16-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add title 0:)
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are already such tools. Check our wiki under HTML.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote