Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
fashion_m
fashion_m began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-book reader with a good Web Browser?

Hi, guys
I'm sick of reading text on PC LCD monitors. I want something more eye-friendly. Are the electronic paper displays more eye-friendly? If so, I need an e-book reader! I do not read electronic books, I rather read text websites like Wikipedia, forums, etc. I also read text files like DOC, PDF and TXT.
So please recommend me an e-book reader with a good and fast web browser
Thanks.
fashion_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eInk screens are better for reading, but their slow refresh speed (a sizeable fraction of a second) makes them poor choices for reading many web sites.

The 3G version of the Amazon Kindle has a reasonably decent web browser which works OK for primarily text sites (eg you can use it for MobileRead OK), but you probably wouldn't want to use it for "serious" web browsing. It's more intended for tasks such as looking up references in books in Wikipedia, and of course for actually buying books from Amazon's Kindle Store. For free web access, though, it's a lot better than nothing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Yes they are more eye-friendly. However, the browsers are rather poor. E-ink readers are designed first and foremost to read e-books; they do it excellently, but you will likely be disappointed in any other function. You definitely do not want to mistake them for net-tablets. Even the Kindle's web browser is listed under "experimental," last I checked, which should say something.

Relatively speaking, the larger size ereaders like the Kindle DX and Sony PRS-950 may be a bit less terrible for web browsing.

Edit: As HarryT points out, the browsers may be adequate for simple, text-focused web browsing. I still would not purchase one for this purpose, especially since you stated it would be a primary one.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 12-29-2010 at 11:34 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Edit: As HarryT points out, the browsers may be adequate for simple, text-focused web browsing. I still would not purchase one for this purpose, especially since you stated it would be a primary one.
Oh no, I completely agree. I use my iPhone for portable web browsing, not my Kindle. Even though the iPhone's screen is much smaller, it's 1000x better as a web browser. The only time I really use the browser on the Kindle is to look up in Wikipedia something I come across in a book. That works pretty well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh no, I completely agree. I use my iPhone for portable web browsing, not my Kindle. Even though the iPhone's screen is much smaller, it's 1000x better as a web browser. The only time I really use the browser on the Kindle is to look up in Wikipedia something I come across in a book. That works pretty well.
I can see how it would be fine for Wikipedia and such. In fact I may give that a shot today. And indeed, it's better than nothing. It may even be just fine for the OP's purposes, so long as he knows what to expect.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
fashion_m

But Kindle doesn't have a touchscreen How do you go to website buttons and hyperlinks? With the 4-way joystick? Isn't that quite cumbersome?
I need something with a touchscreen.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
rfortson
rfortson began at the beginning.

Device: nook Color
nook color? I'm a newbie, so I don't have experience with many others (other than the Kindle2).

iPad?
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
fashion_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
nook color? I'm a newbie, so I don't have experience with many others (other than the Kindle2).

iPad?
No, no. These ones use LCD displays. People who are interested in e-book readers want to escape from LCD, want eye-friendly E ink displays. Otherwise everybody would have been using tablets.
Here is an interesting comparison of e-book readers, I see that PocketBook 902 has almost everything, including a web browser and a touchscreen? Any opinions?

Last edited by fashion_m; 12-29-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_m View Post
But Kindle doesn't have a touchscreen How do you go to website buttons and hyperlinks? With the 4-way joystick? Isn't that quite cumbersome?
I need something with a touchscreen.
Millions of folks are using their Kindles without a touchscreen pretty easily. Many of those folks are using their K3 browsers without a touchscreen.

I don't think the Sony 950 has a browser even though it is 3G, I could be wrong about that.

The Nook Classic has the mini touchscreen and a browser. I have no idea how well it works.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Depending on the web page, yes, _I_ find using the 5-way, cumbersome to navigate to links. But it does work.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
fashion_m

Here is an interesting comparison between e-book readers. It appears that PocketBook 019 has almost everything, including a web browser and a touchscreen. Any opinions about this device?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Millions of folks are using their Kindles without a touchscreen pretty easily. Many of those folks are using their K3 browsers without a touchscreen.

I don't think the Sony 950 has a browser even though it is 3G, I could be wrong about that.

The Nook Classic has the mini touchscreen and a browser. I have no idea how well it works.

the browser's not too bad on the nook eink, agian it's the whole eink thing, that they all are sort of crippled with.

but it's pretty easy to navigate.

I think the OP has found himself between a rock and a hard place.

My advice would be to go to your nearest Barnes and Noble or Best Buy and play around with the nook color's settings to see if you can find something that may work with you for reading.

otherwise the OP is going to have give up something to gain something.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
fashion_m

What about color electronic paper displays? Are such devices already on the market?

Last edited by fashion_m; 12-29-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_m View Post
What about color electronic paper displays? Are such devices already on the market?
if you are talking about color eink, no, not yet.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
fashion_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
if you are talking about color eink, no, not yet.
Is there any other color electronic paper technology, that is not developed by E Ink Corporation?

Last edited by fashion_m; 12-29-2010 at 03:44 PM.