Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
frmniantic
frmniantic began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro, Nook
Is it worth it to buy a Kindle

For all the free books that come out daily? From what I have been seeing lately there are lots. And if you read a lot of different genres then it might be worth it if you add up the "retail" prices. You could have a library that would last you ages!
I don't know, maybe I'm nutso Just a thought.

I have an Astak Pocket Pro, and just bought a Nook (yeah, maybe I am nutso).

Susan
frmniantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Maybe. It was for me. The new K3 Wi-fi only price made it economical at last to take the plunge and add a Kindle to my EPUB ereaders.

Really you have to ask yourself if the free content is truly something you would read. Also is it free content beyond what is already available for the Nook? Often Amazon, BN and Sony have the same free content available. What I did is tracked the free content for several months at the websites inkmesh.com and ebooks.addall.com. When a free book that I was interested in was only available at Amazon, I "purchased" it for delivery to my computer (Kindle for Mac). So I had already accumulated quite a few gems before I bought the K3. I have found some good deals on bestselling authors and also discovered new authors that I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise.

The second reason I bought the Kindle is that it seems recently that more authors are signing exclusive deals with Amazon for their ebooks.

The last reason is that the newspaper and magazine content available on the Kindle is better than what I can find at the Sony Store. Perhaps not an issue at the Barnes & Noble store. Also I like that Fetch News in calibre and Instapaper will email me my news downloads to my Kindle address. No USB hookup required. Very convenient.

You probably aren't anymore "nutso" than the rest of us on this forum!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Heck I am toying with the idea of getting a K3 so that I can get a new Oberon. I figure the K3 WiFI + Oberon cover is not that much more expensive then a new DXG Oberon cover. I am in deep dodo when the Oberon sleeves are released.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
frmniantic
frmniantic began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro, Nook
Wow - I didn't expect to learn so much! This is awesome. Thank you Bookworm Girl for all the great info and it's good to know someone thought the same way I do. I am definitely going to do as you suggested and check out ebooks.addall.com as well. I already stalk Inkmesh. And ProfCrash - I soooooo love those Oberon covers. Believe me I would be in some serious doo doo as well - especially since I just saw the new wolf design (swoon). Well, I have a gift card burning a serious hole in my pocket - don't know how much longer I can hold out.........
This forum is great. Nuff said.
frmniantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have a nook & a K3. I have found numerous free & very low priced books at amazon that I could not get at B&N. SO for me it was worth the price of the Kindle. Where I can buy it at B&N, I do because I have a B&N card which gives me points toward a gift card.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frmniantic View Post
Wow - I didn't expect to learn so much! This is awesome. Thank you Bookworm Girl for all the great info and it's good to know someone thought the same way I do. I am definitely going to do as you suggested and check out ebooks.addall.com as well. I already stalk Inkmesh. And ProfCrash - I soooooo love those Oberon covers. Believe me I would be in some serious doo doo as well - especially since I just saw the new wolf design (swoon). Well, I have a gift card burning a serious hole in my pocket - don't know how much longer I can hold out.........
This forum is great. Nuff said.
Inkmesh is my first preference. www.ebookprice.info is another good site for price comparisons. If you are looking for free content, then did you know that you can borrow library ebooks to read on your new Nook? You might want to investigate if your local library has digital media.

ProfCrash, I think that a new Oberon cover is definitely a good justification for a new Kindle. Their cover designs are fabulous.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
From our Wiki.....

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

Scrolling to the bottom of the page gives you search engines on different ebooks.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hehehe The good thing about my husband and I each having our own monthly allowance is that he can't give me crap when I buy a K3 6 months after getting the DXG. The downside is that I can't give him crap for spending several hundred dollars on a special driving wheel for a video game on the PS3
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well, in my opinion it comes down to one question - what is more important to you:

1) Something that costs less; or
2) Something that you can show off to your friends and say "look I got a kindle"

Personally, I have an Alurtek Libra Pro. Its not a kindle but it works great and costs a lot less then the kindle does, prbably half the price.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I asked myself that questions a many a time since the kindle was first announced but after using kindle for pc on my netbook for almost a yr. and the price of the kindle WIFI being 139 I decided it was the thing for me to do and folks I love it. That being said there are things that could improve but non that seems to matter at this time to me.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Well, in my opinion it comes down to one question - what is more important to you:

2) Something that you can show off to your friends and say "look I got a kindle"

Personally, I have an Alurtek Libra Pro. Its not a kindle but it works great and costs a lot less then the kindle does, prbably half the price.
Where can you find it for $70?

In any case, not to bash the Libra... its a decent unit for what it is (I should know, I own a Jetbook, well the remains of one). That being said, the Kindle really is a fantastic piece of technology. The screen is amazing, as is the battery life, and its price is really quite good. There are negatives to the Kindle (and I summed up what I think they are in another thread), but price is not one of them. Essentially, if you don't mind being tied to Amazon to get DRM'd books, and you don't mind not being able to use a Public Library (Assuming you aren't willing to circumvent the Library's DRM), the Kindle might be the best value going in ebook readers right now (note the distinction between value and cheap).

Personally, I don't want to be tied to Amazon, and I do want the option of using libraries, so I won't be getting a Kindle, but I can hardly blame anyone who does.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

You are not tied to Amazons store. Fictionwise, smashword, baen and other stores sell books for the Kindle. Any book that is not DRMed can be converted to Mobi and put on a Kindle.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

You keep saying this but really, it doesn't make sense. Your #2 could be *any* device including the Alurek. Why so much Kindle hate? If you don't like it or want it, fine but you don't need to bash the Kindle to share your love of Alurek.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You are not tied to Amazons store. Fictionwise, smashword, baen and other stores sell books for the Kindle. Any book that is not DRMed can be converted to Mobi and put on a Kindle.
ProfCrash, before you reply yet again about not being tied to Amazon, please read all of what I wrote. I will repeat it:

Quote:
Essentially, if you don't mind being tied to Amazon to get DRM'd books...
It should also be pointed out that most works published by well known authors will be DRM'd. Yes some popular authors sell non DRM'd books through Baen, Fictionwise, Smashwords and others, but most do.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

The implication of your statement is that you are tied to Amazon. Does it matter if you buy a non-DRMed book for a Kindle and side load it your Kindle or a DRMed book for your Nook and side load it?

All of the major bookstores use a DRM. All of the major bookstores prefer you to buy books through their book store. Not all E-Pub readers allow you to read the DRMed version of a book that is not using their DRM. That is why it was a big deal when the Nook came out and allowed people to easily load the DRMed works from other sites.

There are many reasons why someone might not buy a Kindle, love of EPub is one of them, but the notion that the Kindle is that much more tied to their bookstore then other e-readers, even E-Pub e-readers is wrong.

And your final statement is "Personally, I don't want to be tied to Amazon, and I do want the option of using libraries, so I won't be getting a Kindle, but I can hardly blame anyone who does."