Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Question Is it safe to flip the cover back?

Greetings,

I recently purchased a used Gen3 on ebay and I am quite pleased with it (Dictionary! Library Books! PDF zoom and pan with PERSISTANT zoom!). I do have a concern, however. After reading on the forum about the "mysterious screen breaks" likely due to flexing the device, I have to ask you all: do you think it is safe to fold the cover back when reading? I have the standard bookeen cover and it seems a bit resistant to being folded back. Will folding it back and holding with one hand flex the device sufficiently to break the glass substrate? I have no problem doing this with my Sony's and find it quite useful. My deviceis the second edition with half gig disk space, if that helps. Will letting the front cover hang open while reading flex the device in a deleterious manner?

Thank you,

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
It's fine, that's the way I read mine and have done for over a year.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
sbergstc
sbergstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
I do this also with no problems. Have been doing so for at least a year. Enjoy!
sbergstc
sbergstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
From time to time, I fold the cover back and I've not had any problems. That said, I'm reasonably careful how I do it.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I haven't personally seen the new "red" cover which is delivered these days with new devices.

The old "brown" leather cover (from spring 2008) is very flexible at the hinge and puts no stress at all on the reader. It is designed to fold to the back. I almost always use it folded back.

Perhaps work the cover hinge a little bit to make it more flexible ?
But be careful if the material itself is too stiff it could break with too much usage (??).
If the material is genuine leather you could perhaps get some sort of leather "lubriant" to soften it up.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLausPetersen View Post
If the material is genuine leather ...
I very much doubt that.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I have two covers: a brown one (May 2008) and a black one (early yhis year). The first one is softer; the second one has a really nice touch but it is less flexible. I still prefer this second one and fold the cover back everyday. No problem at all so far. The stress is minimum and the Cybook is more resistant than it's appearance reveals...

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 10-14-2009 at 09:29 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I've always folded the brown cover back, so that's 18months of use, and it still looks as 'new' (excluding cat claw marks on the back ....).
btw there was a lot of discussion about this back when I bought mine and the brown cover is definitely not leather .... very robust, though ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'll add my voice to the multiple messages here.
I have the black cover from the deluxe version, bought more than 1 year ago.

At first I didn't fold the cover because I thought it would resist and react badly.
After seeing people with folded covers at one of the Paris apéros, I folded mine and have been doing it daily without any problem.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
hmls
Enthusiast
hmls began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I would be careful. Just folding back the cover shouldn't be a problem, but I used to read with the cover folded back and my index finger tucked in between the back of the Cybook and the folded back cover, thumb on top of the Cybook and I now have screen problems. I mention this because I can reliably repeat the screen problem (the top half of the screen becomes unresponsive) if I put some pressure on the case where my index finger would be when reading. (Hope this makes sense, it is hard to explain in words.) Thankfully I have been able to gently twist the case and get my screen back and I am now very careful not to put any pressure on that area. I've been generally happy with my Cybook, but I think that it is absolutely ridiculous that simply holding it like that would cause such problems with the screen and as a result will not be buying any more devices from Bookeen.
hmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
I would be careful. Just folding back the cover shouldn't be a problem, but I used to read with the cover folded back and my index finger tucked in between the back of the Cybook and the folded back cover, thumb on top of the Cybook and I now have screen problems. I mention this because I can reliably repeat the screen problem (the top half of the screen becomes unresponsive) if I put some pressure on the case where my index finger would be when reading. (Hope this makes sense, it is hard to explain in words.)
I read in the same manner and have no problems. Not sure why you have problem with yours...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
kxpapado
kxpapado began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3, nokia n800
red deluxe jacket, I have it a year and always fold the cover, still brand new.
kxpapado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break, cover, cybook, gen3, screen