Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Minimum line spacing?

I've been struggling with this for a while. Maybe someone has done it already and can help.

I'd like less space between lines of text. I've been playing with the line height, minimum line height, and "extra CSS" options in Calibre. One of the settings I tried (specifying a line height in points using CSS) worked in the Calibre viewer. On the PRS-350, though, the text was very garbled.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
line-height depends upon the font in use.

You just have to keep testing for each font.

If you have the font embedded in the ePub, then you can try it with Reader Library and see how it looks. If the font is on the reader and being called from there, you'll have to keep loading the ePub every time to test.

I too like the line spacing small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I may have used the wrong word. Without changing fonts, I was able to adjust line spacing using CSS code. The line spacing changes appeared in the Calibre ebook viewer and in another ebook viewer. I'm wondering if there's a way to get the adjustments to show up on the PRS-350.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
I may have used the wrong word. Without changing fonts, I was able to adjust line spacing using CSS code. The line spacing changes appeared in the Calibre ebook viewer and in another ebook viewer. I'm wondering if there's a way to get the adjustments to show up on the PRS-350.
Yes. I change the line-height in the body style of the CSS. Try something like...

line-height: 1.02em
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
I'm wondering if there's a way to get the adjustments to show up on the PRS-350.
But Barium, you said the text is appearing on the 350 garbled. Which it usually is not. So your adjustments ARE showing up/taking effect on the reader, they are just not having the *desired* effect. Am I understanding that right? If that's the case, you will just have to keep trying different settings. It could be that the reader is calculating the line-height differently than Calibre does. I find that a line-height setting in the "extra CSS" field is ignored because Calibre has its own "minimum line height" and "line height" fields in the Look and Feel tab.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
barium
Connoisseur

Thanks to you both, I was finally able to get it right. What worked for me was entering "0" for minimum line height, then entering p {line-height: 1.02} in the Extra CSS section. 1.02 is the number I was looking for - seems to be the minimum spacing for the default font.

Things now look very nice on the reader, but they don't look as good on the computer, and they may not look as good on other devices in the future. Is there a way to have calibre make these changes to a temporary copy to send to the PRS-350, but to preserve the epubs in my library with the original CSS?

Last edited by barium; 05-26-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i would use 2 libraries in calibre. copy all the books that you want to tweak for line height into a new library then bulk convert them , epub to epub with that extra css setting. call the new library something meaningful like 350 optimised
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I'm glad you got it working! I have always that thought Calibre should create a new file instead of overwriting, when converting to the same format.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
barium
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i would use 2 libraries in calibre. copy all the books that you want to tweak for line height into a new library then bulk convert them , epub to epub with that extra css setting. call the new library something meaningful like 350 optimised
It seems that with PRS+, you can modify a file called style.css on the reader itself. That allows you to adjust line height and margins on the device, without mucking up your ePubs. See post 17 in this thread.