Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2015, 04:51 AM   #1
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 3
Horror Stories: What to read?

Hey guys, I was thinking earlier and then I realized that I've never read a horror ebook before.

I'd love even a short story that's just a few pages long to get me started and to see if horror stories are for me.

Are there any recommendations on the people's favorite ones?

Thanks!
FatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Try Stephen King's first short story collection, 'Night Shift'.

And because I'm such a nice guy, I even provided the link for you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't read much horror, but I liked Ring by Koji Suzuki.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Is there a free short story I can read somewhere?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why, certainly!

And because I'm STILL a nice guy, I've provided a link to this Algernon Blackwood collection, "Four Weird Tales," from Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16726
Advert
Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There is a wide variety of different types of stories in the horror genre. I'm not a horror fan really, but I read some occasionally.

50 of the Scariest Short Stories of All Time

Many of these have links where you can read them online.
Some are really good but not that scary. Some would fit better in another genre.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
FatGuy
Groupie

Thanks so much guys!

Is there anything resembling a "Top 5 Horror Short-Stories ever written" I can look at?
Old 11-13-2015, 04:17 AM   #8
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
Is there anything resembling a "Top 5 Horror Short-Stories ever written" I can look at?
There's this thing called google. You might wanna try it.

Seriously, let me get that for you, since you seem to want everything served on a plate, without having to put an ounce of effort in what you are interested in.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Top+5+Horror+Sh...s+ever+written
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
If you're looking for some non-fiction horror, I recommend Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures by Carl Zimmer.

Do you have any idea how many parasites there are in the world trying to get into your body and kill you? You might even have some living in your brain right now. In addition to horror, this is probably the best weight loss book ever written. You'll be too scared to eat anything by the time you've finished the book.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Not free but if you want the whatever scared out of you and nightmares might I suggest Serial Killers Uncut by Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch.
http://www.amazon.com/Serial-Killers...7810529&sr=8-1

It is the only book that ever gave me nightmares.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
JennyJ11
JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.JennyJ11 is that somebody.

Device: Amayon
actually, I am not a fan of such books, but sometimes I really need such stories to read and to rattle my nerves) in this case I would rather choose Steaven King, do I do advise you
JennyJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #12
FatGuy
Groupie

Okay I've only read one short horror story and it was a real labour for me to finish. Are all horror stories like this?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Okay I've only read one short horror story and it was a real labour for me to finish. Are all horror stories like this?
Yes all horror stories are the same like the one you've read. Yes indeed.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

No.

Would you actually think this if you read, say, a contemporary novel by someone, in that all writers who write contemporary fiction are all the same and that the books are all alike?

Now, digging a bit deeper, it may be that the genre of horror is not one you enjoy.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
What short story?
Yes, see every horror story has the exact same words. It doesn't matter if the book says serial killers, zombies, rats, dinners or cars. They are all the exact same.

Sorry had to put that. Now in all seriousness, why was it a labour to finish it?
Look if you are really scared of something, I would not advise reading about that.
I also don't recommend many short horror stories.

I think I have discovered your problem with books. You have a mind set that all books are the same. They aren't.
That would rather be like saying "Pixels" and "Fast and the Furious" are identical movies.

My best advice is try a book any book and if you don't like it, don't read it. Go grab another one by a different author.
Though I do wish you would download the sample of All I learned in Kindergarten. I think it might surprise you.

Heck, I like the show Bones. I threw one of the creator's books across the room. I could not read it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote