Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
huladaddy
huladaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Upgrade from Ubuntu repo version to binary installer

I am currently running calibre 0.8.70 on Xubuntu that I installed from the Ubuntu repository (ppa.launchpad.net/n-muench/calibre). calibre currently resides at /usr/lib/calibre. I would like to upgrade to the newest version using the binary installer.

Can I simply upgrade overtop the old repository version, specifying the install location /usr/lib/calibre of course, or do I have to install a fresh copy?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of before I do the upgrade?
huladaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by huladaddy View Post
I am currently running calibre 0.8.70 on Xubuntu that I installed from the Ubuntu repository (ppa.launchpad.net/n-muench/calibre). calibre currently resides at /usr/lib/calibre. I would like to upgrade to the newest version using the binary installer.

Can I simply upgrade overtop the old repository version, specifying the install location /usr/lib/calibre of course, or do I have to install a fresh copy?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of before I do the upgrade?
You can, but I recommend removing the repository version after backing up your library and the .config/calibre folder(just to be safe) then install using the binary installer

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
huladaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
You can, but I recommend removing the repository version after backing up your library and the .config/calibre folder(just to be safe) then install using the binary installer

bernie
Thanks.

I assume uninstalling my current version will leave the library intact -- books, metadata, custom columns and searches? Am I correct?

Regarding the .config/calibre folder, once I install using the binary installer, should I replace .config/calibre with my backed up version?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The binary installer will of course overwrite the binaries (actually, I think they used to be wrapper scripts) in "/usr/bin/" and there is zero purpose in keeping the old lib/calibre. I'd just get rid of the repo version -- what do you need it for??

Just running the binary installer will unpack the binaries in /opt/ by default and then run /opt/calibre_postinstall which sets up /usr/bin/ and installs .desktop files and bash_completion scripts and other fun stuff. There is no significant time used up by this extra step.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huladaddy View Post
Thanks.

I assume uninstalling my current version will leave the library intact -- books, metadata, custom columns and searches? Am I correct?
All this is stored in the library metadata.db

Quote:
Regarding the .config/calibre folder, once I install using the binary installer, should I replace .config/calibre with my backed up version?
Installing won't recreate the config folder -- only running calibre again will. It cannot hurt to backup the config, but you don't have to move it -- just copy it. Then, if the upgrade looks wonky you can downgrade and run each updated version in turn to update the config, or whatever. Maybe. (If you want to.)
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You may also wish to see
Sticky: Fully automatic calibre installer/updater for linux
(My baby. )
Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
huladaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The binary installer will of course overwrite the binaries (actually, I think they used to be wrapper scripts) in "/usr/bin/" and there is zero purpose in keeping the old lib/calibre. I'd just get rid of the repo version -- what do you need it for??

Just running the binary installer will unpack the binaries in /opt/ by default and then run /opt/calibre_postinstall which sets up /usr/bin/ and installs .desktop files and bash_completion scripts and other fun stuff. There is no significant time used up by this extra step.
I am planning to uninstall my current version, then install using the binary installer. The other fellow mentioned backing up .config/calibre. Is there a reason for this? Is this where my preferences are stored?

I assume metadata.db in the calibre library folder contains not only metadata, but also my custom columns and searches. Is this correct? And I assume uninstalling the repo version will not remove the library folder. Is this correct?

EDIT:

I posted the above before I saw your next two posts. Thanks. I think I'm good to go.

Last edited by huladaddy; 07-29-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

By the way, thanks for bringing this to my mind -- I finally got around to streamlining my update script. See the sticky for details.