Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
SteamMouse
Edge User

Lightbulb text to speech

haveing the entourage take text to speech would be wounderful.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

You mean like this: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-Pico-TTS-link?

Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
SteamMouse
Edge User

yes! but the only thing it does not say if it reads any text file or just a few, thats the big thing i need to know

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

The first post in that thread has some necessary software to download to allow TTS apps to use text-to-speech on the eDGe.

The Word Player app only reads EPUB files.

It took me quite a while to find an app that can load and read TXT files. One such app is MultiReader. It's listed for $4.95 on SlideMe.org (http://www.slideme.org/application/multireader). I tested an older version I found elsewhere and it works. I believe this would be the app you're looking for.

One thing I noticed about Word Player and MultiReader is that they take about 30 seconds to load - don't hit the Back button, just wait for something to appear

Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
SteamMouse
Edge User

ok also do you know if the edge will have TTS at any point built in to it?

Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

For what, exactly?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
SteamMouse
Edge User

so i can have my text books read to me due to my learning disablitys

Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

That's something you would have to email techsupport@entourageedge.com to ask.

Here's what they are currently saying about this: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...kbarticleid=17, https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=174.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

A more difficult point might be whether the textbooks you need are available for the eDGe. Some types of textbook don't (yet) work on the eDGe.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
SteamMouse
Edge User

ture but more and more books are comeing out on the edge and I know there are sights that i can find books on pdfs

Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
The first post in that thread has some necessary software to download to allow TTS apps to use text-to-speech on the eDGe.

The Word Player app only reads EPUB files.

It took me quite a while to find an app that can load and read TXT files. One such app is MultiReader. It's listed for $4.95 on SlideMe.org (http://www.slideme.org/application/multireader). I tested an older version I found elsewhere and it works. I believe this would be the app you're looking for.

One thing I noticed about Word Player and MultiReader is that they take about 30 seconds to load - don't hit the Back button, just wait for something to appear
Wow, Boris. Your knowledge of all things enTourage/Android is truly remarkable. Thanks (again) for taking the time to help everyone out.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
SteamMouse
Edge User

i am just hopeing it will be able to do tts that is a big reason for me if I buy it or not

Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Dr. T
Edge User

Boris is correct (as always)... I'm not sure what more information you can get from the Forum... you may very well need to contact tech support. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
SteamMouse
Edge User

ok, and it seems like he does. will do

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamMouse View Post
i am just hopeing it will be able to do tts that is a big reason for me if I buy it or not
Just to reiterate: You definitely can do text to speech using apps on the LCD side. Currently the eInk side does not do text to speech.

If you have DRM-protected EPUBS/PDFs which you want read out via TTS, you may not be able to find an app for the LCD side that can read these protected items. From what I've seen in the past year, most free apps only deal with unprotected ebooks. Kindle, Borders and B&N have an LCD app for (their) protected content, but I don't think they do TTS nor do they open DRM ebooks from other sources.