Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
J.M. Pierce
Author of Failing Test
J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.J.M. Pierce is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle
A question for you all.

I'm curious as to how many beta readers each of you use. Is there such a thing as too many? Thanks in advance.

J.M.
J.M. Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
horse_girl
Enthusiast
horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook, Motorola Droid
I use two to three. Too many and you have too much input to the point that the story is no longer yours. Once you find a couple you can trust with good opinions on your story who like reading the genre you write, you'll be set. Finding them is another matter. That's the toughest part in the world.

I'm always open to accepting new beta readers, because not every beta I've used is interested in everything I write.
horse_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Monique
Monique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
Hi J.M.!

I basically agree with horse_girl. I had 4 beta readers, one cheerleader and one editor.
Monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Hi J.M.!

I basically agree with horse_girl. I had 4 beta readers, one cheerleader and one editor.
Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen. Everyone needs a cheerleader and an editor. Then you can mix and match beta readers along the way. I have...one, maybe two at best. Still looking for a few good ones.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Yeah, I have between two and five. Two who are guaranteed to read, and three more who can if they have time.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Could depend too on why you're writing the book.
If it's for personal expression, then the less beta-readers the better.
If it's for capturing a wider audience explicitly, then perhaps up to 5 well selected readers.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Could depend too on why you're writing the book.
If it's for personal expression, then the less beta-readers the better.
If it's for capturing a wider audience explicitly, then perhaps up to 5 well selected readers.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
One's own ego probably makes an important swing in here. Often you might find it easier to just write what you want to write and then seek the appropriate readers

I know if I was an author I'd probably cry a lot when the beta-readers gave me anything but praise. I prefer to let the market decide (which isn't always the best... and probably why I'm not an author - but rather a slave to one ).

http://elitadaniels.com
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Definitely not good to have too many cooks in the kitchen.

I have one editor. One cheerleader. and a couple of beta readers.

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
That looks like a Five Man Band to me. The Writer, The Cheerleader, The Editor, and two replaceable Beta Readers.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. Pierce View Post
I'm curious as to how many beta readers each of you use. Is there such a thing as too many? Thanks in advance.
J.M.
I asked around, including our reading circle, and got four, two from the circle. Had to twist two arms. All four got roughly a quarter of the book to begin with.

One made good criticisms, did a certain amount of copy editing that I had missed, complimented certain turns of phrase, made suggestions, and hung outside by the mailbox when the next section was due. That's the kind of beta reader I like.

Another took three months to read some of the first quarter, made one comment and didn't ask for more. No loss. He's a fan of detective novels and this is not such a book.

One of the twisted arms, my son who has a BA in lit crit, has nearly forced himself half way through the book after five months. If I'd had an alien, and/or a vampire and/or a werewolf in the book he'd have finished it in a week. His criticism has been valuable from a content point of view.

The other twisted arm, my wife, a language teacher, made it to chapter 5, then became heavily involved in a musical production being put on in our village. She likes my style, but from other things I've heard from her since I asked her to look at my book, I find she's more concerned with form than content, so she'd be a good copy editor. At least she likes my style.

I'd like two or three more of the first kind, but finding them is not easy.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I like three or four, ideally. Usually more for just the first chapter.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote