Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Waterstones app

Waterstones book store in the UK now has an app for iphone and ipod touch. You can browse their online book store and buy pbooks, but not ebooks.

The app store states that "we're afraid you won't be able to buy or download ebooks with this App. But if you watch this space, there'll be a dedicated ebook App out very soon".
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Nice to see Waterstones have a finger on the pulse !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Yeah, but it's a weak pulse, lol. Seems bizarre to develop an App you can't buy eBooks from, especially when you can access their website in Safari, don't you think? I wonder what the App does that the website doesn't? And no iPad app yet - they're working on it, apparently.

Buy hey, better late than never I guess; my wife bought almost all her books from Waterstones when she only had her 505 (in truth, she bought the 505 to access Waterstones content) but since she bought herself an iPad all her books have come from Amazon (mine too) as they mostly have what we want, and it's easy.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Yeah, but it's a weak pulse, lol. Seems bizarre to develop an App you can't buy eBooks from, especially when you can access their website in Safari, don't you think? I wonder what the App does that the website doesn't?
No, it makes a great deal of sense to have a "shopping" app optimized for the iPhone. Have you tried using the Waterstones web site on an iPhone? It's not terribly easy to use - there's just not enough screen space to be able to use it easily.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it makes a great deal of sense to have a "shopping" app optimized for the iPhone. Have you tried using the Waterstones web site on an iPhone? It's not terribly easy to use - there's just not enough screen space to be able to use it easily.
Exactly! I have tried it out and it is much better than Safari. It is a reasonable app and it would be useful if I wanted to quickly find a book (and was too lazy to power up the laptop). I'm not sure if I would buy a book through the app however.

I will be interested in the ebook app though...wait and see.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, my mistake - so you can buy through it, just not eBooks. I thought it was an app just for browsing their catalogue - which in my defence, would be crazy! And fair point Harry, I haven't really browsed on my iPhone post-iPad (have you?) and tbh have had no reason to visit the Waterstones website.

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
And fair point Harry, I haven't really browsed on my iPhone post-iPad (have you?) and tbh have had no reason to visit the Waterstones website.

Cheers, Pete
Funnily enough, for the last few days, yes, I have, because I've been on holiday in France, and the iPhone lets me do international data roaming, but the iPad doesn't .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
nice to see waterstones are years behind everyone else as normal
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote