Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
var89
var89 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
PDF to EPUB

Hi,

I'm trying to convert an ebook from PDF into EPUB format using Calibre.
But the conversion is getting hung up. I waited for 20+ minutes but it did not even progressed to more than 1%.

I did though successfully converted a pdf, which means there is no problem with my system.

What could be this problem i don't understand.
Kindly give some inputs.
var89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
How big is the pdf file ? Are you sure it is OCR pdf ?
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
var89
var89 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
How big is the pdf file ? Are you sure it is OCR pdf ?
I'm not really sure whether its a OCR file. How do i check this. The entire computer gets hung up becoz of that.
Its 24 MB.
I have Adobe Pro also. Can it be of any help here?.

Last edited by var89; 02-14-2010 at 05:06 AM.
var89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Open the pdf file, highlight all the text and copy it into another program like open office which can save the file into HTML. Then import html to calibre and convert to epub.

OCR means you can copy the text rather than just look at the scanned image.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm. I didn't even know it would do that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
It's the difference between a text based pdf and an image based pdf. If it's been scanned, but not OCR'd, it'll be image based. If it started life on the computer, like from Word, etc..., then it'll likely be text based, thus you can do a copy and paste. Alternatively, it could have been scanned and OCR'd and that would be text based as well.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm. I didn't even know it would do that.
Yes it works, although the result can be pretty ugly and need a lot of cleanup.

Every line ends with LF or CRLF
Headers, footers and hard hyphenation, oh my.

I use Notepad++ on windows to un-wrap lines. It is still tedious to clean up and it is best to have the original on another screen or hard copy.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yes it works, although the result can be pretty ugly and need a lot of cleanup.

Every line ends with LF or CRLF
Headers, footers and hard hyphenation, oh my.

I use Notepad++ on windows to un-wrap lines. It is still tedious to clean up and it is best to have the original on another screen or hard copy.
I try to avoid PDFs if at all possible, but I ended up quite by accident with one collection of short stories I wish was in epub or mobi. Not that big a deal though.

Thanks ducks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote