Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #46
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKuiD View Post
Just saying hello...my new PE is waiting to be picked up tonight from Mr. FEDEX.

I will report back after flashing this new 2.2 Firmware tonight with some info.
Welcome to MobileRead, LiKuiD!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #47
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
any success with the market?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #48
n6pfk
n6pfk began at the beginning.

Device: none
How did you accomplish what you did?

So how did you produce the new firmware?
Did you compile any source or just add to the file system?
I am interested in adding a "tun" device to the kernel as a module so that I can use "openvpn".
n6pfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #49
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by n6pfk View Post
So how did you produce the new firmware?
Did you compile any source or just add to the file system?
I am interested in adding a "tun" device to the kernel as a module so that I can use "openvpn".
all you have to do is unpack the update.zip, then the system.zip inside that, then place apk's into the app folder, its a standard android recovery system. He is using the same kernel that was included in the normal ermine update.zip
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #50
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
We are just changing stuff in the system2.zip

This is nothing like any android recovery I have seen. I am not sure what systems you have worked with to call this standard. Besides the fact that its called update.zip I see no similarities. There is no manifest, no signature, the structure is entirely different, the update process is all done through the update.sh shell script. It does all the flashing and everything. From what I can tell recovery just boots the basic linux ramdisk and executes the shell script.

The kernel, ramdisks, bootloader, etc are crc'd and appended to the file i believe....

Code:
#   --------------------------------------------------
#   crc32 check on image
#   - requires that image have appended crc32
#
#   arg1 : filename of image to verify
#   usage: crc_check tmp.img
crc_check ()
{
	CRC=`ubicrc32 $1`
	if [ "$CRC" == "0x00000000" ];
We could just change the update script so we could use our own image but if we hose the kernel I don't know how we would recover short of jtag. Thoughts?

Last edited by kronarq; 07-07-2011 at 11:57 PM.
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #51
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronarq View Post
We are just changing stuff in the system2.zip

The kernel, ramdisks, bootloader, etc are crc'd and appended to file i believe....

Code:
#   crc32 check on image
#   - requires that image have appended crc32
#
#   arg1 : filename of image to verify
#   usage: crc_check tmp.img
crc_check ()
{
	CRC=`ubicrc32 $1`
	if [ "$CRC" == "0x00000000" ];
We could just change the update script so we could use our own image but if we hose the kernel I don't how we would recover short of jtag. Thoughts?
you can still recover using the update.zip methods... The checks can all be removed...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #52
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm still working on this. Seems I need to download an environment now, and that will give me adb and platform-tools. So off I go to get 2.2.
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #53
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Just in case this may help. I found this device which apart from Eink is close to ours (same ubi file system, same lcd resolution (PE), same CPU PXA168) bluepanther thunder 7 http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...d-2-2-a-2.html .
cooked rom and update for the above http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9ZKB80XR
and
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I7CE9SK0
also cpu source code and architecture for our PXA168
http://db.tt/vf8sL5z
+
architecture
http://db.tt/kcbVcz6
if this helps any cook.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #54
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Full tech specs and white papers are on Marvell's website. http://www.marvell.com/processors/ap...ns/armada_100/

From some searches it seems PXA support is in the newer mainline kernel.

Good find on the other tablet I'll poke around in that rom and see if I can find anything of use.

By the way if you want to have access to the recovery just zip an empty update.sh. It will hang at 3 dots as normally the update script changes the screen here. Connect via adb and you have root access in the recovery. Good to familarize yourself if you plan on modifying if the update script as mount points are diff.
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #55
vicinc
Guru

any idea on how can I un-bork my unit. I have only lcd android and update.zip with rotate/menu does not work. the adb and root is working.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #56
vicinc
Guru

I think our is 168 not 166E?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #57
vicinc
Guru

it will be great to get standard recovery like any other android!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #58
vicinc
Guru

for any rom cook https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-134988.html this may also help.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #59
LiKuiD
LiKuiD began at the beginning.

Device: PE
Man, this is one fun little device!

So after a few hours of messing around with it...here's where im at.

-Upgrade path was from stock 1.6 (registered) to new 2.2 firmware then rooted using z4
-Successfully setup Gmail/Market access pulling market files from DROIDX using Titanium backup
-Everything seems to be working great (Wifi/BT/eInk)...disabled screen animations and installed LauncherPro to tweak homescreen settings, much smoother now...no more lag with homescreen and app draw windows

Currently working on finding an app that will allow for underclocking the CPU...setCPU crashes on run but havnt looked at any others.

Few hours review on the device: Coming from a Gen. 1 Kindle, i'm completely satisfied with the eInk portion of the device. Screen is very legible, refresh rate is about same so it doesnt bother me. The Android portion of the device seems to be on par for a device of it's power. Screen takes a little getting used to as it's not the most responsive. I replaced the stock keyboard with SmartKeyboard and it's much more usable now. I've obtained a few books from Google Book store in ePub format and theyre working great.

Gonna try messing around with a few properties in build.prop to tweak speed...if anything improves ill post. Also looking into various builds of Skype from XDA to see if anything will end up working.

Last edited by LiKuiD; 07-08-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fake edit
LiKuiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #60
vicinc
Guru

http://www.heygotogether.com/gm10_ma..._firmware.html
this is another rom for a PXA168 Soc 7 inches device call G10. may halp cooking with edges.