Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Kelso
Edge User

Other ebook stores

Hello again forum readers!
If you can't find some of the titles you want in the entourage ebook store, I have been messing around with some other sites.
The Barnes and noble store doesn't work, neither does the Amazon/kindle store.
I have had luck with ebooks.com http://www.ebooks.com/ and the sony ereader store. HOWEVER, you cannot download books from these stores directly to your edge, you have to use your PC/mac. On the ebooks site you can read books on the LCD screen much like an ipad or cellphone, but it cannot be transferred over to the ereader. Here are some pretty accurate instructions from borisb on how to download books from the sony store or ebooks.com site to your edge:
Quote:
1. On your PC/Mac (won't work on the eDGe) go to http://ebookstore.sony.com and click the "Download Software" link (top of page)
2. When you register with Sony, specify the same email address as you gave as your Adobe ID on the eDGe (usually the same as your primary email with enTourage customer account)
3. After installing the software, launch it. Find and purchase a book
4. Find the EPUB/PDF in a folder called "My Books" under "My Documents"
5. Transfer this to your eDGe via SD card, USB memory stick, email, or mini-USB cable
6. On your eDGe, find then tap and hold on the file and "Add to Library", after which you can remove the file on the SD card/USB stick, etc.

This will copy the book to the eDGe's internal storage and allow you to do annotations on it. Note that the Adobe ID email address you specified on the Registration screen on the eDGe must match the email address you use to register with any site selling Adobe Digital Editions (a.k.a. Adobe Reader) books.

I recommend you try this with a test book, something costing only a couple of dollars. Once you see that it works, you can purchase more expensive books with confidence.

- Boris
As a note: if you use a mini USB remember you have to go to the android toolbar, select the usb, and select mount before you can drag and drop files from your computer to your edge. I forgot about that and was very confused for a few minutes. Once you have moved the files be sure to go back to your toolbar, select the usb again, and turn off the usb. Otherwise you cannot access your library.

LASTLY, if you don't want to pay for ebooks the project gutenburg site (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) offers some good titles. They are all older books/ classics, but they are free and good quality. You can go to this site on your edge and download the books from there really easily.

If anybody has had any luck downloading books directly from their edge let me know! I'm trying to come up with a list of sites.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
sladwig
Edge User

Very good info, Kelso. I will go get some gutenberg books for weekend reading!

Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
dcubed2
Edge User

I've downloaded hundreds of old (out of copyright) books from Internet Archive, http://www.archive.org/. Some collections or scans I can not read either in part or at all on my eDGe, and have had the best luck with University of California and New York Public Library collections. So, if there are multiple copies of a book you want, try other copies to see if at least one will work on the eDGe. I've also watched old TV shows and movies on my eDge - without dling them. IA also has old radio shows in mp3 format. Can you tell that I love IA with my eDGe?

I have also had luck with epub files on Google Books, but not any pdfs with images from there. Pdfs of books without any images are usually ok.

enTourage is working with Adobe to have them beef up their eReader software. So, maybe we'll be able to read 'most any pdf from anywhere soon. That'll be a happy day .

Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

Kelso, if you haven't already, you should read this thread, where eDGe owners layout all the ebook sites they've explored.