Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #31
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Another excellent review.

http://reviewhorizon.com/2010/11/noo...indle-or-ipad/
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #32
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
One review said that they played Angry Birds on the device. How did they do that? Wouldn't that be an app from the app store?
I suspect that you download the application on another device and then use an .apk installer to put the software onto the device through a USB link. e.g. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=716806

Positive noises about this product can only have a good effect on the market as a whole .
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I don't know if I would go that far, but I would say that they only had the device for a few hours and likely didn't do as detailed a review as they could have. In the rush to match or beat their competition it is quite common on the web. It would be interesting to know why they made that deduction.
Here's another review claiming that charging can only be done with a proprietary cable:

Quote:
Even with so much worthy of accolades, NookColor has room for improvement, too. My biggest gripe lies with the unit's MicroUSB port. The port has a second set of pins that provide a 2000mAh (or 2AMP) rapid charge for the 4000mAH battery. (That's four times the mAh of most typical consumer electronics.)

Unfortunately, the benefit of the rapid charge-and it's fast, I was surprised by how quickly NookColor juiced up--is offset by the need to use only the included charger and cable in order to power the device. Sure, the charger has pleasing, subtle touches like an outlet plug that collapses into the compact brick, and a glowing Nook "n" that shows its charging status; but it's the only source of power. If you use a cable other than the one supplied, you can only transfer data. At the least, Barnes & Noble should have allowed for a trickle charge, just as you get on the Apple iPad. Want an additional charger? That'll be an extra $25. As for the battery, the company says it should last 8 hours. -- Computer World Review
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #34
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...713040#U713040

From the official support message boards.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More digging reveals that the reviews are correct. You can't charge the Color from a computer and you must use the proprietary charger and cable to charge the device.

Don't know who that other guy is, but he's at odds with B&N's official Nook Color Support FAQ.

Nook Color Support: Hardware

Quote:
1. Can I use a NOOK 3G+WiFi or NOOK Wi-Fi power adapter and/or USB cable to charge my NOOKcolor?
No, a NOOK 3G+WiFi or NOOK Wi-Fi power adapter and USB cable will NOT charge your NOOKcolor. NOOKcolor has a unique, proprietary Power Kit (Adapter + USB power cord). Only the Power Kit included in the NOOKcolor package or a NOOKcolor Power Kit sold as an accessory should be used to charge your NOOKcolor unit. Do not use any other power adapter or USB cable as this may damage your NOOKcolor.

4. Can I charge my NOOKcolor from my computer?
No. You cannot charge your NOOKcolor while connected to your computer. You must charge your NOOKcolor from a wall outlet using the NOOKcolor power adapter and USB cable.
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #36
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
More digging reveals that the reviews are correct. You can't charge the Color from a computer and you must use the proprietary charger and cable to charge the device.

Don't know who that other guy is, but he's at odds with B&N's official Nook Color Support FAQ.

my power adapter manual says the same thing for my Droid X and I use my nook charger and my wife's Blackberry charger.

apparently the included charger with my Droid X is made specifically for fast and powerful charging.
I wonder if it's the same situation with the nook color

but so far no issues as of yet
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #37
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for the links. But now I just find myself more confused than ever!
It sounds like my Pandigital at fifty dollars more and no discounts to around $100.00.

Relatively heavy, short battery life and more a fancy e-reader than a good tablet. Hopefully the book management software will be better.

But my next device will almost certainly be the Adam and the PDN works quite well after two firmware updates - except for the bug that goes with the updates. It did not respond to any input until I let the battery run down completely.
Trust me, when you have to do that, eight hours *is* a long time.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #38
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:

The guy is a Nook Engineer. I think the FAQ is incorrect, but yea I saw the FAQ says it as well, but they have answered this question a few times on the official boards, and I would believe their hardware engineers before some review. Not to mention did they even really go through a full charging session before writing the review? I'll let you know on Friday.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #39
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I came across this review today from the Wall Street Journal. I have to admit, I'm starting to think the Nook color is pretty terrific.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...581656880.html

L.J.
The Sex Club: now $.99!
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #40
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Looking at it side by side with the iPad, it actually looks alot better to read on than a regular tablet.....must....not....give...in...to...temptat ion. LOL. I wonder if they are going to have the covers for side loaded books, that would be awesome.

And if you have a rooted Android phone, you can make your phone a "hotspot" and essentially make it 3G LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
my power adapter manual says the same thing for my Droid X and I use my nook charger and my wife's Blackberry charger.

apparently the included charger with my Droid X is made specifically for fast and powerful charging.
I wonder if it's the same situation with the nook color

but so far no issues as of yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
The guy is a Nook Engineer. I think the FAQ is incorrect, but yea I saw the FAQ says it as well, but they have answered this question a few times on the official boards, and I would believe their hardware engineers before some review. Not to mention did they even really go through a full charging session before writing the review? I'll let you know on Friday.
I sure hope the FAQ is wrong. Being able to charge from a PC or a standard AC charger using a standard micro USB cable makes day to day usage and travel much easier.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #42
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I wonder if they are going to have the covers for side loaded books, that would be awesome.
According to an answered post, yes.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107318
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #43
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I sure hope the FAQ is wrong. Being able to charge from a PC or a standard AC charger using a standard micro USB cable makes day to day usage and travel much easier.
You can charge from a PC via USB, but it is slower than the wall charger. Also, if you use the device, it may drain more current that it actually gets from the PC, so effectively it discharges. But, if you leave if on your desk, connected to the PC, it will definitively charge.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #44
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

There are posts from people who actually have the Color and say that it does indeed charge from USB, slowly.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #45
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
According to an answered post, yes.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107318
On nook you have to copy a thumbnail with the same name as the book (book.epub, book.jpg). On nookcolor it is not necessary, it will show the cover from the epub itself.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote