Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of Timothy Zahn's series do you like the best?
Blackcollar 3 21.43%
Cobra/Cobra War 3 21.43%
Conqueror 1 7.14%
Dragonback 0 0%
Quadrail 0 0%
Star Wars Thrawn 4 28.57%
Star Wars 1 7.14%
Star Wars Hand of the Thrawn 2 14.29%
Terminator Salvation 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Timothy Zahn

Which of his series do you think is his best? I really like Timothy Zahn's work.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Which of his series do you think is his best? I really like Timothy Zahn's work.
I loved his Star Wars books (and can't wait for Star Wars: Scoundrels in December!) but haven't read anything else by him. I will be interested in the answers you get here.

EDIT: didnt' realize it was a poll but will still be interested in the results as I've always meant to read some of his other work.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Where's te "Who's Timothy Zahn" button ............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Where's te "Who's Timothy Zahn" button ............
If you don't know who he is, then voting that way would skew the results. Best not to have it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you don't know who he is, then voting that way would skew the results. Best not to have it.
I guess the same rule should apply to those of us who have read one of these, and found it so awful that we've never considered looking at another of his works?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I'm one of those too.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I read the first book in the Thrawn trilogy. I was a big fan of the original three Star Wars movies, so I wanted to love it, but I think I might have waited a few too many years (decades, really) to try and recapture that magic. I didn't find it awful, but it was remarkably unmemorable for me.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
If you thought that Thrawn trilogy was bad....you should see where it all went after that!

I thought the Thrawn trilogy was great and one thing I like about Zahn's star wars books is that even when he writes them now, he doesn't usually follow the other books or their timeline.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I rather enjoyed the Thrawn trilogy. I thought it did capture the flavor of Star Wars.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be honest, I thought Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Minds Eye did a better job of capturing the essences of the leading characters. Zahn did well capturing the setting, the tech, the battles and the overall Star Wars ambiance ... but his characterizations just didn't "sing" for me. And I'm a very character oriented reader.

I'll have to give his non-Star Wars stuff a try someday. Like I said ... I found what I read to be unmemorable, not bad.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've not read his non-Star Wars stuff. Maybe I'll give something of his a go that has nothing to do with Star Wars.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I didn't bother to finish the most recent Cobra War book, returned it to the library, but was rather disappointed that the Blackcollar series was brought to an end.

His best book is _Ikarus Hunt_, which apparently was supposed to've been a Han Solo / Chewbacca book, but was re-worked to be a stand-alone w/ different characters. Characterization is better in it.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
jatkin
Enthusiast
jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
which apparently was supposed to've been a Han Solo / Chewbacca book
Too bad. I would love for another Star Wars book (not necessarily from Zahn, though he is my fave Star Wars author) centered on Han and Chewie to come out. It's been too long since we've seen one
jatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatkin View Post
Too bad. I would love for another Star Wars book (not necessarily from Zahn, though he is my fave Star Wars author) centered on Han and Chewie to come out. It's been too long since we've seen one
Ask and ye shall receive.
Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn is due to be released 1/1/2013 in the US.
Quote:
Han Solo should be basking in his moment of glory. After all, the cocky smuggler and captain of the Millennium Falcon just played a key role in the daring raid that destroyed the Death Star and landed the first serious blow to the Empire in its war against the Rebel Alliance. But after losing the reward his heroics earned him, Han’s got nothing to celebrate. Especially since he’s deep in debt to the ruthless crime lord Jabba the Hutt. There’s a bounty on Han’s head—and if he can’t cough up the credits, he’ll surely pay with his hide. The only thing that can save him is a king’s ransom. Or maybe a gangster’s fortune? That’s what a mysterious stranger is offering in exchange for Han’s less-than-legal help with a riskier-than-usual caper. The payoff will be more than enough for Han to settle up with Jabba—and ensure he never has to haggle with the Hutts again.

All he has to do is infiltrate the ultra-fortified stronghold of a Black Sun crime syndicate underboss and crack the galaxy’s most notoriously impregnable safe. It sounds like a job for miracle workers . . . or madmen. So Han assembles a gallery of rogues who are a little of both—including his indispensable sidekick Chewbacca and the cunning Lando Calrissian. If anyone can dodge, deceive, and defeat heavily armed thugs, killer droids, and Imperial agents alike—and pull off the heist of the century—it’s Solo’s scoundrels. But will their crime really pay, or will it cost them the ultimate price?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Touch; Android Tablet (Asus TF300); PC App
I'm a long time Zahn fan who came to know his work through the Heir to the Empire Trilogy. Actually those books, which I read as a young teenager, were my true entrance into Star Wars as a thing. I'd seen maybe bits and pieces of the movies before that. I seem to remember enjoying Spinnerett, loved Icarus Hunt, and really liked Angel Mass. Also, I really, really liked another Thrawn Star Wars book by Zahn called Outbound Flight. There are not my only forays into Thrawn but they are probably the ones I enjoyed the most.
QofResh is offline   Reply With Quote