Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: My preferred reading font is...
Amasis 16 14.41%
Avenir 6 5.41%
Delima 10 9.01%
Felbridge 6 5.41%
Georgia 30 27.03%
Gill Sans 7 6.31%
Rockwell 15 13.51%
Times New Roman 4 3.60%
Document Default 5 4.50%
Other (please specify) 27 24.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=JSWolf;2387616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

I am surprised you lose a line. It's meant to have a smaller line space. Can you change your settings to get back that one line?
If I change the line spacing, I can use a lower setting and still have the gap between lines in a paragraph that I prefer. At the same font size and line spacing, it looks as if the compact has a slightly larger spacing between the lines. Weird and wonderful...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If I change the line spacing, I can use a lower setting and still have the gap between lines in a paragraph that I prefer. At the same font size and line spacing, it looks as if the compact has a slightly larger spacing between the lines. Weird and wonderful...

Regards,
David
If you are finding that Charis SIL Compact has a larger line spacing then the regular Modified Charis SIL, then this is yet another bug in the Kobo. In Windows font viewer and on the Kindle Touch, Compact does not have more line spacing. In fact, quite a bit less.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Wolifie; I don;t understand it. You appear to take great pleasure in pointing out bugs in each and every product out there, regardless of whether you personally own it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Wolifie; I don;t understand it. You appear to take great pleasure in pointing out bugs in each and every product out there, regardless of whether you personally own it.
I'm just saying as I modified the font and I know what I did. So I know what should be happening.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are finding that Charis SIL Compact has a larger line spacing then the regular Modified Charis SIL, then this is yet another bug in the Kobo. In Windows font viewer and on the Kindle Touch, Compact does not have more line spacing. In fact, quite a bit less.
You did read my message in which I stated: "At the same font size and line spacing, it looks as if the compact has a slightly larger spacing between the lines."?

My opinion is that the Kobo ereader respects the font size and line height specified in the css stylesheet while disregarding the Typo Ascent/Descent or cousins in the font file which pretty much means the space occupied by a line including blank space will be the same regardless of the font values. If I dropped the line-height to a lower number as mentioned, the Compact font does fit better. I tried using a mini-font and got the same effect (mini in the sense that it displays at around 8 points when font size is set to 12 points under Windows). I found that setting the line-height to 88% which felt a bit strange worked for the mini font.

As for calling this a bug? My personal feeling is that your opinion is of dubious value considering that you have never admitted to owning a Kobo ereader but have spent much verbiage in denigrating them. And yes, I have compared my Glo to a Paperwhite and a SimpleTouch with GlowLight. Here in Canada, the choice is pretty simple since Nook is not supported here and the PaperWhite has no library support (or apparently sales support from Amazon.ca).

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-20-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Typos live!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert