Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Looking for a decent text editor

I'm looking for a new text editor and am struggling to find one that has all my needs.

What I need it:
  1. Syntax highlighting (html/xhtml).
  2. The ability to S&R more than one line at a time (I'm refering to entering 2 or more lines of text into the search field and being able to replace all instances of those multible lines).
  3. Macro recording.
  4. Macro editing.
  5. An option to view the html/xhtml file either within the editor or to automatically load a browser to display it.
  6. Unicode support.
  7. Preferably for Windows but can also do Linux.
  8. Preferably free but will buy one if the program has all the functionality I need.
  9. Reg-ex capability (I don't know how to use reg-ex yet but am going to learn how).
  10. Tabbed editor.

This isn't a big list but I can't seem to find a single editor that supports all of these.

I currently use Editplus as it's the only editor that I seem to be able to get multiple-line S&R to work in, unfortunatly the macro recording is not that straight-forward (called Keystroke Recorder) as it only appears to record some keystrokes and I can't seem to edit the recorded keystrokes. If I could write the macro to be able to be able to call up a function and then perform a task and then be able to repeat this multiple times, I wouldn't need to copy-and-paste repeatedly from a text file.

Editplus deals with all of the above but I just can't get the macros sorted. So if someone could advised on a replacement that does all of the above, or if they know how get macro functions working on it (or using some kind of user-file or plug-in for this) I would be most greatful.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 01-04-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
For Windows, I would recommend Notepad++, although I'm not sure about the macro recording capability.

For text editing in Linux, you can't go wrong with Gedit (although you need a plugin for the macro recording).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried Notepad++ and you can record a macro, you just can't edit it. So if I make a mistake I'll have to re-record the whole macro, also I might not notice that I've made a mistake.

Also I don't seem to be able to S&R multiple lines in it either (unless I just have been stupid and missed it). I do like the fact I can get a count if I do a find operation, that's very useful to me too. I could use Editplus for some of my editing and then load it into Notepad++ for my macro's. This does seem a bit cumbersome to me though, but it is an idea.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I recommend emeditor. Not free but worth it.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In my old times using Windows, I liked UltraEdit.

If you have some free time and are willing to learn something different, try vim
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
+1 for Vim

You'll need a graphical version of vim, like gvim, for tabs, but it certainly can handle the rest, and a whole lot more. (It's actually hard to get vim without gvim these days, so this is no issue.)

It's weird and has a definite learning curve at first, but well worth it.

And it's available for just about any platform, from Amiga to Windows to Linux to you-name-it.

It definitely has macros, and yes, you can edit them if you make a mistake, though it also has a completely separate scripting language, which I tend to use more often. You can also map any key to any key combination, either recursively or non-recursively.

Another cool thing is that you can open .ePubs with it and edit the files inside and save without having to recreate the ePub, remaining valid. Kovid gives the details here.

Last edited by frabjous; 01-04-2011 at 11:31 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
http://tea-editor.sourceforge.net/ maybe that one?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I'm looking for a new text editor and am struggling to find one that has all my needs.

What I need it:
  1. Syntax highlighting (html/xhtml).
  2. The ability to S&R more than one line at a time (I'm refering to entering 2 or more lines of text into the search field and being able to replace all instances of those multible lines).
  3. Macro recording.
  4. Macro editing.
  5. An option to view the html/xhtml file either within the editor or to automatically load a browser to display it.
  6. Unicode support.
  7. Preferably for Windows but can also do Linux.
  8. Preferably free but will buy one if the program has all the functionality I need.
  9. Reg-ex capability (I don't know how to use reg-ex yet but am going to learn how).
  10. Tabbed editor.

UltraEdit for Windows fits every requirement (and much more), including HTML/CSS preview, reg-ex (Unix, Perl and UE style), scripting (uses its own language, though), macro recording / editing, autocompleting, HTML validator, CSS Style editor, unlimited file size, FTP/sFTP editing, etc...

It's not free (around 50$), but you can try it full functional for 30 days.

In text editing is what Photoshop is for image processing....
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
It's not free (around 50$), but you can try it full functional for 30 days.
That's got to be the most ridiculous price for a text editor I've ever seen.

Remember, vim and emacs are free, people, in both senses of the word.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
That's got to be the most ridiculous price for a text editor I've ever seen.

Remember, vim and emacs are free, people, in both senses of the word.
yes, they are.
Still, in the comparision, UltraEdit wins.

My experience:

UE: 15 minutes to learn everything in OP's list.
VI(M): no less than one year of continous use, just to remember the difference between ":x!" and ":wq" ...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
[qoute]VI(M): no less than one year of continous use, just to remember the difference between ":x!" and ":wq" ...

Ya'll just jealous of the sheer awesomeness of :wq.

But seriously, it's not so bad. I've been vimming for less than a year, and even after a couple months, everything else annoys me in its non-vimmish-ness. I've had to install pentadactyl in Firefox so I can stand browsing now.

For $50, UltraEdit better do my work for me. (Yeah, I'm cheap.)
Old 01-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
ghostyjack
Guru

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, I'll have a look at them all and see if any of them meets my needs.

VIM, now that's an interesting editor. I need to use it occasionally in work as it's the only editor on all our back-end systems due to them being UNIX. It's not something that I've relished using, mainly due to not having enough time to practice with it (it is a bit weird, with a bit of a learning curve). I'll need to create a cheat-sheet before trying to use it in earnest, but it is free.

Never used emacs, so might try that one too. Notepad++ is ok, but for some reason I'm not a big fan of it, don't know why.

Never heard of emeditor or tea-editor, so might check them out.

Ultraedit, looks good but will need to have a good play with the trial version to see if I can justify the asking price of it.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Notepad++ will do multi-line search and replace. Make sure that you check "Extended" in the search mode box. What it will not do is multi-line regex search and replace. I really really really wish there was a Linux version. Yes it does sort of work under Wine but not that well.
It is the only editor that lets me open as many files as I want and does S&R on all open files.
The SciTech editor which uses the same editor "engine" only lets me open ten files at once and doesn't do operations on multiple file. But is available for Linux.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
It is the only editor that lets me open as many files as I want and does S&R on all open files.
To the best of my knowledge, on Linux, almost all the common editors have that functionality: Vim, Emacs, Geany, Kate, etc. Gedit too with the right plugins. I think, except perhaps gedit, all will allow regex's there too. Of course, on linux, doing multi-file regex substitutions from the commandline is pretty easy too, so maybe that's not so important.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
yeah, but sed and awk are a science fore itself, ain't they?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote