Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #76
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The only thing I've noted is that the driver add some <span> tags with a class "kobo1.1" (or something like that) that is not included in the css.
If I understood correctly, that is done for the device to "remember" where you left off and for bookmarking.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #77
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I can prepare any free book because it happens with all.
A lot of epubs from the Gutenberg project have a declaration for h1-6 in the css file. If they are to be centered this is declared there via the align attribute (deprecated since at least HTML 4.01). The kepub rendering engine does honor these declarations. At least, I can say this about my KT (FW 2.3.1). So it seems that the rendering engines for epubs and kepubs use different default values for h1-h6 if there is no declaration. (I am supposing here that your epubs don't have this declaration.)

Quote:
And, if you remove the ".kepub"from the name, rendering as ePub center the title. The only thing I've noted is that the driver add some <span> tags with a class "kobo1.1" (or something like that) that is not included in the css.
kobo1.1 and so on are actually unique identifiers (rather than classes) that go easily into the hundreds. So it is no real surprise that there is no corresponding declaration in the css file. (Edit: I seems that in some books (or only in books from Rakuten?) there is also a class defined (class="koboSpan").)

Last edited by tshering; 02-08-2013 at 06:51 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #78
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I tried the double extension on one book. Maybe my choice wasn't the wisest because it adds a lot of room for errors since it was originally from Amazon (so .azw -> .epub -> .kepub.epub).

I did was davidfor recommended in the comment #15 so the eReader can display the cover. Then I manually changed the extension to add .kepub and drag-and-dropped the file into (onto???) the Mini.

So far, the cover, the pages per chapter, the estimated time are working. The highlights are not working (as expected). For remembering the last page read, it's working if I read only this book. If I open other books, when coming back to the kepub.epub one I will be brought back to the first page of the chapter.

I'm glad I gave it a try, though
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #79
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
A lot of epubs from the Gutenberg project have a declaration for h1-6 in the css file. If they are to be centered this is declared there via the align attribute (deprecated since at least HTML 4.01). The kepub rendering engine does honor these declarations. At least, I can say this about my KT (FW 2.3.1). So it seems that the rendering engines for epubs and kepubs use different default values for h1-h6 if there is no declaration. (I am supposing here that your epubs don't have this declaration)

kobo1.1 and so on are actually unique identifiers (rather than classes) that go easily into the hundreds. So it is no real surprise that there is no corresponding declaration in the css file. (Edit: I seems that in some books (or only in books from Rakuten?) there is also a class defined (class="koboSpan").)
I'll try to explain better myself. My epub, previous to using the plugin, had no class with that name. I don't know if it's added by the plugin or by the FW. And no h? here. As it comes from an edited calibre conversion, there's a special class for chapter title paragraphs, but no header.

And that same file, if I rename it as epub, renders ok the chapter paragraphs.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #80
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
The plugin adds the koboSpan class and adds the "kobo.X.Y" ID. These are used by the kepub system to remember where you were last at and I believe also for annotations. There would be no CSS entry for these since they're only used by the Kobo device.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #81
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

span id="kobo.1.1" and so on is added by the plugin. This is the main point that makes an epub to an kepub. Those elements are used as reference points for highlights, annotations, etc.

The interesting point is how the "special class for chapter title paragraphs" is declared in the css. There seems to be something that the epub rendering engine honors and the kepub rendering engine does not. Maybe you can change this in the calibre settings in a way both engines can deal with.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #82
tshering
Wizard

jgoguen,

may I ask you whether your plugin sets the kobo tags only in dependence of other elements (for instance p, h1 and so on) or also at other points like punctuation marks?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #83
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The interesting point is how the "special class for chapter title paragraphs" is declared in the css. There seems to be something that the epub rendering engine honors and the kepub rendering engine does not. Maybe you can change this in the calibre settings in a way both engines can deal with.
If I can discover the way, of course . Because the declaration is quite standard: text-align:center;margin-top: 15%
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #84
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Got it. The problem is that it doesn't honor text-align:center in a paragraph, only in h?. I think it's a big mistake.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #85
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
If I can discover the way, of course . Because the declaration is quite standard: text-align:center;margin-top: 15%
This is really strange.

I take from what you and jgoguen say that the tags look something like <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.1"> and that the class koboSpan is not declared in the css. Since I do not use the class koboSpan (I have only <span id="kobo.1.1">) and my epub.kepubs honor the text-align declaration, I guess that this makes the difference. Maybe it helps if you add the class koboSpan to the css and define the text-align as inherit. Something like

Code:
.koboSpan
{
	text-align:		inherit;
}
Edit: Sorry, I missed your last post. Are you sure that the kepub engine does not honor center in paragraphs?

Last edited by tshering; 02-08-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #86
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
jgoguen,

may I ask you whether your plugin sets the kobo tags only in dependence of other elements (for instance p, h1 and so on) or also at other points like punctuation marks?
Of course you can ask

I only set the kobo tags on p and h? elements. I'm not aware of the tags needing to be anywhere else. If I'm wrong, a bug report would be appreciated so I can correct the issue.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #87
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
This is really strange.

I take from what you and jgoguen say that the tags look something like <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.1"> and that the class koboSpan is not declared in the css. Since I do not use the class koboSpan (I have only <span id="kobo.1.1">) and my epub.kepubs honor the text-align declaration, I guess that this makes the difference. Maybe it helps if you add the class koboSpan to the css and define the text-align as inherit. Something like

Code:
.koboSpan
{
}
Edit: Sorry, I missed your last post. Are you sure that the kepub engin does not honor center in paragraphs?
The way I understand it from my day job as a web developer, if I add the koboSpan class and it changes how the rendered text appears, either there's an existing style for .koboSpan or the kepub reader handles these tags differently. With no styles applied, you shouldn't be able to tell from reading the book whether the kobo tags are there or not.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #88
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
I only set the kobo tags on p and h? elements. I'm not aware of the tags needing to be anywhere else. If I'm wrong, a bug report would be appreciated so I can correct the issue.
It is not a bug report. Since I do not use calibre and therefore also not your plugin I have of course not experienced any bugs. I just would like to share some thoughts. I have observed in some kobo preview files that there are also kobo tags at the end of sentences, provided they are not at the end of a paragraph and so on, increasing thereby the second index. In some books the kobo tags are also set whenever there is a style tag. The purpose of this, so I guess, is to prevent that the distance between kobo tags becomes to large. I asked myself: How much distance is to much? My next guess is that at each screen page there should at least be one kobo tag. I believe that the kobo remembers the kobo id of the last opened page without using any offset. If there is no kobo tag at the last openened page (because there is a very long paragraph or the user uses a very large font size) the device is unable to open the book at the correct page the next time.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #89
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
The way I understand it from my day job as a web developer, if I add the koboSpan class and it changes how the rendered text appears, either there's an existing style for .koboSpan or the kepub reader handles these tags differently. With no styles applied, you shouldn't be able to tell from reading the book whether the kobo tags are there or not.
This sounds reasonable.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #90
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is really strange.

Code:
.koboSpan
{
}
Edit: Sorry, I missed your last post. Are you sure that the kepub engine does not honor center in paragraphs?
Now, I am, at least with all my books. I have the same paragraph, the same style: text-align: center; It doesn't works. If I explicitly use <center>, then it centers. It's how the style is superseded, or it has some default characteristics. And I have the code above too in my css.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo