Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
xtrem1337
xtrem1337 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Word / Text Translator, Kindle or Kobo?

I'm looking to buy a eReader. The Kobo Glo HD and the Kindle PW is interesting... Voyage is to expensive..

The most important point for me is the translator / dictionnary.

I'm french but I'm reading my book in English, so if I stuck in a word or the real meaning of the phrase, I want to select the word (phrase) and see the translation in french, in real time, that's it.

I wont open a dictionnary or watever app to search the word, that what I'm doing actualy and I'm fed up..

which between the Kindle or Kobo has this feature?

thx
xtrem1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrem1337 View Post
which between the Kindle or Kobo has this feature?
Both do. On both devices you select a word by long-pressing it and a dictionary entry for it will pop up. I don't know how good the English-French translation dictionaries are on either, as I don't use them. The monolingual English dictionary is better on the Kindle, in my experience, although the Kobo one is serviceable.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle has way, way better dictionaries than the Kobo. If this is an important feature, the Kindle would perhaps be a better choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I agree that the Kindle dictionaries are better. There is one really good feature in the Kobo dictionary that the Kindle doesn't have: if I'm reading a definition and I don't know some word in the definition I can long press that word and be taken to IT'S definition. The Kindle won't do that. Other than that, though, the Kindle dictionaries are much better.

The Kindle's translation feature is also better except that it can only be used when you have internet access. The Kobo's translation feature is built in but it works a word at a time, not on phrases.

It is possible to add a translation dictionary to the Kindle that you can take with you when you don't have internet access and it works pretty much like the Kobo's translation, a word at a time. Because neither of them support Latin I've added a Latin dictionary to my Kindle and it's always there.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
xtrem1337
xtrem1337 began at the beginning.

Device: none
well I should try the two models and I'll see.

thanks
xtrem1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I agree that the Kindle dictionaries are better. There is one really good feature in the Kobo dictionary that the Kindle doesn't have: if I'm reading a definition and I don't know some word in the definition I can long press that word and be taken to IT'S definition. The Kindle won't do that.
The Kindle can do this when you fully open the dictionary, but you're right; it won't do it from the pop-up definition.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:13 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
The Kobo's translation feature is built in but it works a word at a time, not on phrases.
Kobo's works with phrases too if you enable the PhraseTranslation feature setting.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle can do this when you fully open the dictionary, but you're right; it won't do it from the pop-up definition.
Good to know I can open the dictionary and do it. I've never thought of that. Most of the time that won't be useful but there are times when it will. Thanks for the tip.

Barry
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Kobo's works with phrases too if you enable the PhraseTranslation feature setting.
I just looked on my Kobo Glo for that feature and didn't find it. Can you tell me where it's located?

Thanks,
Barry
Old 06-05-2015, 03:24 AM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I just looked on my Kobo Glo for that feature and didn't find it. Can you tell me where it's located?
You enable it by adding PhraseTranslation=true to the [FeatureSettings] section of the configuration file. See the Kobo forums for more info if you are not familiar with enabling extra feaures like this.

Edit: Sorry, it appears that feature was removed a while ago. You would need to be running firmware 3.1.1 or earlier for it to work.

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-05-2015 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Feature was removed after firmware 3.1.1
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I know the Voyage can translate a whole block of text like google translate, at least, it can do it into English. Not sure if the PW can do it. I saw this on a video comparison of the Kobo Glo HD and the Kindle Voyage on thegoodereader.com

In any case, the Kindle dictionaries are better than the Kobos.

Alternatively, if you can pick up a cheap Sony T1-3 on ebay, it also has excellent multi-lingual dictionaries.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I know the Voyage can translate a whole block of text like google translate, at least, it can do it into English.
This is true, but it's perhaps worth noting that this requires internet access (it's done via Google Translate). The dictionaries only provide translations at the word/phrase level.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
TheWho
TheWho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I use the Kindle since it was introduced! I can tell it is the best eReader! I also use an iPad, however it is not the same for me the Kindle is much more user-friendly!
TheWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kindle translation feature actually works via Bing translate (there is a hack to use Google translate instead).

And note if you have the 3G edition you can translate words/phrases over the free 3G.

@Rizla -- even my Kindle Touch has that feature, I think it was introduced in the first touchscreen firmware.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote