Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
rlaskey
rlaskey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
EBL 3, ADE authorization failure (Mac)

I've used Adobe Digital Editions in cooperation with my local Overdrive-driven library to check out books for a couple weeks now, however for some reason it just will not work today.

I checked out a new book from the library, which views perfectly fine on my computer. When I send it to the Reader, however, I get the "Protected Page!" error message. I have tried everything to get it work: removing all files from my library, removing the authorization using the Mac version of Digital Editions and then going again through the authorization, both in Digital Editions and in the Sony eBook Library software.

I even ran Windows in a virtual machine, installed the Windows EBL and then tried out the Adobe Digital Editions software. I was able to remove the authorization of the Reader via ADE on Windows, and then I went through to authorize the Reader again on the same account. All permutations still have not granted me access to the ADE protected content on my Reader.

I even lost one Adobe account due to too many attempts to authorize, since the DRM is apparently not forgiving. I am now trying another which I registered today, to exactly the same results.

All of this worked perfectly well not too long ago, and I really am not sure what the problem is. My guess is that it has something to do with the way that Sony authorizes the PRS-600 within EBL 3, and that somehow it irrevocably lost some permissions. I have thought of trying to reset the device, though I tried the option under Settings -> Restore Defaults, and it did not improve at all.

Here's my intuition: ADE seems to not keep track of authorized devices at all. If this is true, which I imagine it is, it is a _huge_ failing of their DRM management. From what it seems, because of this Sony does not authorize the Reader more than one time, so you don't get locked out of your ADE account. However, for some reason my ADE auth on my Reader failed (I did try and remove all PDFs and EPUBs from my device, btw, as suggested in another thread; did not help in this case). _Maybe_ some harder form of resetting my Reader can convince the EBL to do this authorization again, however I haven't tried this yet.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'd certainly love to hear them. Ultimately, I think I will stick to Sony DRM or DRM-free files for the time being, until Digital Editions on the Mac can see the PRS-600 and it can all work as it should.

Last edited by rlaskey; 09-28-2009 at 04:42 PM.
rlaskey is offline   Reply With Quote